Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

......and some people think we're recruiting too many. This is why.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
      ......and some people think we're recruiting too many. This is why.
      Per Todd D, there are no indications that UW plans to add any more players.

So there was a reason why JD was available so late in the window to to join when he did. A 4 year college isn't for everyone. Looks like G2O almost did too good a job with JD.

This is why the Krygier boys just should have come anyway, being worried about playing time. You never know what is going to happen. Same thing with Jurusik, he'd have been the starter last year had he just stuck it out.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        Per Todd D, there are no indications that UW plans to add any more players.

So there was a reason why JD was available so late in the window to to join when he did. A 4 year college isn't for everyone. Looks like G2O almost did too good a job with JD.

"There has been no indication yet that UW is planning on adding any more players." Which is almost the same but very slightly different wording. I read that as either Todd didn't ask or Tony wouldn't/didn't comment on whether there would be adds. (As opposed the question being asked and answered in the negative.) There aren't any specific rumors, just speculation on the combination of: players we know may be available plus $$ we know may be available. Somewhat unusual to hear of an add before it's announced by a player at this time of year anyway, and of course, coaches can't comment on unsigned players. So I don't really take that as indicative of anything at all.

As to why JD was available as an 18 year old, I'd speculate he wanted BU, but BU had McAvoy, Hickey, Krys, Fabbro, MacLeod, all top picks plus a couple more and had nowhere to put JD. No doubt he had other offers but by all accounts he was all set to got to the Flint Firebirds... until disaster struck there, (players revolted, owner was suspended for 5 years, league took over the management) no one would really want to walk into that mess -- So Donny talked him into UW, which was a great fit for him at the time. Whatever went wrong for him last summer cost him a top 4 spot in the lineup (he very likely would have been ahead of the Freshmen coming into camp if he was prepared) a shot at the WJ team, and most of his year of playing time/development. If he feels all this has left him on the outside looking in with Oz, I can see why he might want a fresh start. A lot of playing time and a dominating start in the USHL could still get him a WJ shot this year, plus it wouldn't surprise me if the Maple Leafs want him playing every day right now somewhere.

The only thing that I wonder about is this: "UW coach Tony Granato said he spoke with Greenway after Chicago made its selection Tuesday morning and said Greenway was weighing his options" which almost makes it sound like Greenway weighing his options was news to Tony until the Steel drafted him.
        Originally posted by WiscTJK
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
          Supposedly only Drew Commesso was offered a goaltending spot right out of tryouts for next year's NTDP camp, but thinking perhaps Grannan has been offered the other spot based on UW's offer....
          Correct again!

USNTDP team was announced earlier today and as expected includes (at least) 3 future Badgers:

Honey Baked F, Tanner Latsch; Notre Dame Academy D, Daniel Laatsch; and (as DPlaya predicted) Milwaukee Jr. Admirals G, Noah Grannan.
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

It's too quiet on the Russian Goalie Front.

где вы Максим Жуков?

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Someone tell him that we have pelmeni
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                I'd play for pelmeni! My Maternal Grandparents came here from what was "Czechoslovakia" and my grandmother made a frickin' killer sausage and pelmeni dish. I can taste it now.😢

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                  Tell him we have plenty of tutors too.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                    Quinn and Sandelien are both rumored to be on the list for the NY Rangers job. BU commits Joel Farrabee, Tyler Weiss or Jake Wise, would all look better in Cardinal than red.
                    Since Quinn is now going to NYR, just sayin'...
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                      Since Quinn is now going to NYR, just sayin'...
                      They're all Coasties, but "A" for effort Wisko!

Comment

Is Cade Lemmer a target for UW?

https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...24/cade-lemmer
                        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Spreadsheet is updated with Greenway's departure.
                          Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                            Right now you wouldn't think of him as a top six kid and there's a glut of F's around him on the books, so you wouldn't think so. But who knows? He has some talent and there's always a few guys like him that jump up and score 50 at the next level. Those aren't really all that common though - Naturally, it's more common that guys go backwards as they go up.

Looks to me like we now do need to add a D or two for '19. Unless there's a dramatic turnaround, Peltonen and Brady Smith aren't looking to me like they're going to fit the bill as high-enders to replace graduates and possible departures. Oz has some work to do there.
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                              Right now you wouldn't think of him as a top six kid and there's a glut of F's around him on the books, so you wouldn't think so. But who knows? He has some talent and there's always a few guys like him that jump up and score 50 at the next level. Those aren't really all that common though - Naturally, it's more common that guys go backwards as they go up.

Looks to me like we now do need to add a D or two for '19. Unless there's a dramatic turnaround, Peltonen and Brady Smith aren't looking to me like they're going to fit the bill as high-enders to replace graduates and possible departures. Oz has some work to do there.
                              Got it. My uncle lives in Wausau and was mentioning him as a player to watch
                              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                                Got it. My uncle lives in Wausau and was mentioning him as a player to watch
                                He's a good player. It's easy to lose track though of just how incredibly good you have to be in comparison to the average kid to even make the roster of a D1 team. What I've heard is that he's worth watching but would still have to improve a bunch in comparison to his age group to get on UW's radar. He may very well do so though once he gets in the USHL. So hard to say what happens with these young kids that aren't playing in top leagues. Or even when they are. No doubt that Brady Smith was one of the top Bantam D in the country when he was recruited. Unfortunately it looks like he would still be one of the top Bantam D in the country a few years later.
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                                X