Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 32333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 821 to 840 of 1000

Thread: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

  1. #821
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    Two problems with goalie coaches:
    One, they can't be paid other than some misc. expenses and stuff. They are unpaid volunteers.
    Two, they can't be in the business of coaching goalies, which is what the best goalie coaches do. Including Howie.

    After Howie, WI tried to have former Badger (and now former Stars NHL goalie coach) Mike Valley take over, but his regular job was goalie camps and coaching goalies. The NCAA notified UW that he couldn't do it because of the likelihood of improper contact with recruits. They even then tried to have Shuey fill in as a stop gap, but his Team Wisconsin involvement precluded him too. Just to be clear, goalie coaches cannot recruit at all, or have any outside contact with potential recruits. They can of course watch tape and make recommendations.

    With the addition of Goody to the staff, the Badgers are actually in a lot better shape than most all NCAA teams. Goody plus Sanger, who was just an outstanding goalie for CC, and the main man in the nets all four years. Incidentally, he was a freshman in Lucia's last year and CC won over 100 games while he was there. Plus he played 5 years in the pros and has been coaching goalies ever since. Maybe there's someone else somewhere that we can get to come in for FREE... and who doesn't coach young players anywhere... but is still better? ... it's hard to think of how we're going to find that person, though.
    Iím not sure I understand the point. The goalies both last year and this year showed no improvement whatsoever.
    Prior to that iíd say empirical evidence suggests uw goaltending has suffered since Howie was pushed out by Eaves.

    Working for free or not Sanger does nothing for me. No stand out goalies in the pipeline and those that have arrived do not improve over time.
    I guess we disagree on this one.

  2. #822
    Teaching you how to Bucky.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A den.
    Posts
    3,679

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

    Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    I’m not sure I understand the point. The goalies both last year and this year showed no improvement whatsoever.
    Prior to that i’d say empirical evidence suggests uw goaltending has suffered since Howie was pushed out by Eaves.

    Working for free or not Sanger does nothing for me. No stand out goalies in the pipeline and those that have arrived do not improve over time.
    I guess we disagree on this one.
    We don't disagree entirely. Howie was unquestionably one of the best goalie coaches anywhere and for 30+ years he ran goaltending camps and clinics all over North America. Which is what all the current best goaltending coaches in the world (outside of NCAA volunteers) also do. At these camps Howie would evaluate and then recruit the very best goaltenders. But no one can do what Howie did anymore.

    The situation now is that Sanger does not run elite camps or recruit goaltenders. Why? Because volunteer coaches are not allowed by the NCAA to have personal contact with potential student athletes. Sanger's position is deemed essentially the same as a booster when it comes to potential recruits.

    Like Mike Valley was doing prior to being hired by the Dallas Stars, the best goalie coaches all teach goaltending to young players at camps and clinics for substantial fees. Those guys are ALL EXCLUDED from becoming volunteer coaches at UW. The only way they can is to STOP GETTING PAID for teaching goaltending, stop running or teaching at camps, and do it all for FREE at UW. And then when they do that, they still cannot recruit goaltenders.

    The suggestion is we should find a guy to get Howie-like results while not being able to do most all of the things Howie was allowed to do to get those results. And also do so while not being allowed to earn any money connected with his expertise. I seriously doubt that guy exists. That's also Sanger's situation and I do find some of the criticism of him not being Howie is unfair in that regard.

    The only way to make it work in a way even in the neighborhood of the way it did with Howie is to hire a goaltending coach as one of the two paid assistants. But keep in mind that skater recruiting and teaching is very likely to suffer from the loss of an assistant dedicated to teaching and recruiting the 20+ skaters you need vs. the 2 regular goalies. So pick your poison.
    Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 04-01-2018 at 08:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

  3. #823
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    We don't disagree entirely. Howie was unquestionably one of the best goalie coaches anywhere and for 30+ years he ran goaltending camps and clinics all over North America. Which is what all the current best goaltending coaches in the world (outside of NCAA volunteers) also do. At these camps Howie would evaluate and then recruit the very best goaltenders. But no one can do what Howie did anymore.

    The situation now is that Sanger does not run elite camps or recruit goaltenders. Why? Because volunteer coaches are not allowed by the NCAA to have personal contact with potential student athletes. Sanger's position is deemed essentially the same as a booster when it comes to potential recruits.

    Like Mike Valley was doing prior to being hired by the Dallas Stars, the best goalie coaches all teach goaltending to young players at camps and clinics for substantial fees. Those guys are ALL EXCLUDED from becoming volunteer coaches at UW. The only way they can is to STOP GETTING PAID for teaching goaltending, stop running or teaching at camps, and do it all for FREE at UW. And then when they do that, they still cannot recruit goaltenders.

    The suggestion is we should find a guy to get Howie-like results while not being able to do most all of the things Howie was allowed to do to get those results. And also do so while not being allowed to earn any money connected with his expertise. I seriously doubt that guy exists. That's also Sanger's situation and I do find some of the criticism of him not being Howie is unfair in that regard.

    The only way to make it work in a way even in the neighborhood of the way it did with Howie is to hire a goaltending coach as one of the two paid assistants. But keep in mind that skater recruiting and teaching is very likely to suffer from the loss of an assistant dedicated to teaching and recruiting the 20+ skaters you need vs. the 2 regular goalies. So pick your poison.
    Interesting, so does basketball, football or baseball have coaches that are forced by rule to work or offer coaching free and are coaching the most important position on a team?

    This is all kinds of ****ed up.

  4. #824
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Central, Wis
    Posts
    1,118

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

    Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    Iím not sure I understand the point. The goalies both last year and this year showed no improvement whatsoever.
    Prior to that iíd say empirical evidence suggests uw goaltending has suffered since Howie was pushed out by Eaves.

    Working for free or not Sanger does nothing for me. No stand out goalies in the pipeline and those that have arrived do not improve over time.
    I guess we disagree on this one.
    No offense to Sanger, but I agree with Solo on this. Anyone could see this year, they were going down early. And every team was scouting us to have their guys shoot high. Why this wasn't fixed I don't understand.

  5. #825
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,803
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    No offense to Sanger, but I agree with Solo on this. Anyone could see this year, they were going down early. And every team was scouting us to have their guys shoot high. Why this wasn't fixed I don't understand.
    Thatís what upsets me the most. The coaches can see it of course, even the radio guys mentioned especially re: Hayton, the book on him was shoot high.

    Yet nothing changed with regard to on ie performance over the year. Iirc they also said Hayton wasnít waiting long enough to force the shooter to make the first move.

    Itís been really tough to watch this. Even when we had what I would all an average to good goalie in the past Howie pushed them to another level. Daubenspeck comes to mind in that regard.

  6. #826
    SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    77 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality
    Posts
    2,683
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    No offense to Sanger, but I agree with Solo on this. Anyone could see this year, they were going down early. And every team was scouting us to have their guys shoot high. Why this wasn't fixed I don't understand.
    I agree as well. I don't care how good his PLAYING stats are. How successful was Bart Starr as a coach? Wayne Gretzky? How many others were great PLAYERS but lousy coaches? A good player isn't automatically a good coach.
    Last edited by MadCityRich; 04-01-2018 at 06:23 PM.

  7. #827
    Blood Boiling with Rage and Hate Almington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    17,009
    Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    Interesting, so does basketball, football or baseball have coaches that are forced by rule to work or offer coaching free and are coaching the most important position on a team?

    This is all kinds of ****ed up.
    Thatís the NCAA for you. They limit hockey programs to three paid coaches who can be on the ice with the players. This the trade-off that programs have to make.

  8. #828
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    9,865

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

    Can Mark GreenHaulgh from the women's team cross over and help with the men's team, even on a limited basis? The women's game a is slower game but the concepts are the same. He is a genius with the women's team.

    Who was the goalie coach for Rumpel and Petersen? Valley or Sanger?
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  9. #829
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Almington View Post
    Thatís the NCAA for you. They limit hockey programs to three paid coaches who can be on the ice with the players. This the trade-off that programs have to make.
    I should have known itís a no-win situation on that front...ugh

  10. #830
    Teaching you how to Bucky.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A den.
    Posts
    3,679

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Can Mark GreenHaulgh from the women's team cross over and help with the men's team, even on a limited basis? The women's game a is slower game but the concepts are the same. He is a genius with the women's team.

    Who was the goalie coach for Rumpel and Petersen? Valley or Sanger?
    Valley was done before he started. In 2008 the NCAA changed and clarified some of the rules for volunteer coaches, especially in regards to recruiting practices. (Is it coincidence that was Howie's last year? I don't know.) '08-'09 the Badgers didn't have a regular volunteer goalie coach as UW was told Valley wouldn't be in compliance unless he gave up all his other coaching activities. Sanger came in the next year and handled Goody to the title game in '10 and a statistically even better year in '11. (along with highly touted transfer Brett Bennett. In retrospect, bringing Bennett on transfer kind of screwed things up as prior, UW usually managed to mostly have two studs, two years apart) Next in was Petey and Rumps, both of whom were handled excellently IMO. Rumps was good as a freshman, but stellar as a sophomore, and a Richter and Hobey finalist his Jr. year. Rumps senior year though, is a good example of how a great goalie can only do so much behind a bad team.

    Next up was Opilka, who bolted to Canada and the pros late and never came in. (Unfortunately, injuries now have Opilka's career in limbo) That left UW scrambling and grabbing Jurusik and then Berry very late. Which Sanger has nothing to do with. Can't go their games, cannot even watch tape on prospects and give an evaluation. Can't talk to prospects at all unless they are on their Official Visit, or they have signed an NLI. No recruiting related activities, period. Paid staff has to handle all evaluation and recruiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

  11. #831
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    9,865

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Can Mark GreenHaulgh from the women's team cross over and help with the men's team, even on a limited basis? The women's game a is slower game but the concepts are the same. He is a genius with the women's team.

    Who was the goalie coach for Rumpel and Petersen? Valley or Sanger?
    Well Tim, I did a little research during lunch and here are UW's recent goalie coaches.
    Forever - 2008 Bill Howard
    2008 - 2009 Mike Valley, though he was not here long as he had a conflict of interest with his goalie camps.
    2009 - current Jeff Sanger. Prior to this Sanger worked with the UW women during their title run in 2006-2007.

    Seeing as Sanger has been @ UW for this long and worked with a lot of goalies, including Rumpel and Petersen, I would say that he has not suddenly forgot how to coach. I do believe it points us back at a talent issue, which is no fault of the current or recent former players at all. They got offered a scholarship and took it, good for them.

    I wonder if Howie ran into or would have ran into the same conflict of interest that Valley did.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  12. #832
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,221

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

    Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    Interesting, so does basketball, football or baseball have coaches that are forced by rule to work or offer coaching free and are coaching the most important position on a team?

    This is all kinds of ****ed up.
    I believe in football they have grad assistants, that may be unpaid.

  13. #833
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,686

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

    A few Wisconsin commits in NTDP Camp Rankings:

    http://www.hockeyjournal.com/nehocke...ticleId1370337

  14. #834
    Sad Panda
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My Body is in Georgia. My Heart will always be in Wisconsin
    Posts
    993

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

    Spreadsheet updated with Corson Ceulemans committing to the Badgers.

    Considering he is 14, I have him as a '22-'23.

  15. #835
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    9,865

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

    Quote Originally Posted by gwhinwi View Post
    Spreadsheet updated with Corson Ceulemans committing to the Badgers.

    Considering he is 14, I have him as a '22-'23.
    Can you update the women's sheet?
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  16. #836
    SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    77 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality
    Posts
    2,683
    Quote Originally Posted by gwhinwi View Post
    Spreadsheet updated with Corson Ceulemans committing to the Badgers.

    Considering he is 14, I have him as a '22-'23.
    Have we had a 14y/o commit before? Seems like a loooooong time for him to weigh his options. I hope he busts his balls, grows, strengthens, and becomes a Badger.

  17. #837
    Sad Panda
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My Body is in Georgia. My Heart will always be in Wisconsin
    Posts
    993

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Can you update the women's sheet?
    Done. Sorry for not getting to it sooner. Let me know if there any mistakes.

    Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    Have we had a 14y/o commit before? Seems like a loooooong time for him to weigh his options. I hope he busts his balls, grows, strengthens, and becomes a Badger.
    I may be wrong on this, but I thought that Brady Smith was a 14 year old commit. He was in 9th grade and committed 3 years ago, and I thought it was a pretty big deal then.

  18. #838
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    9,865

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

    Quote Originally Posted by gwhinwi View Post
    Done. Sorry for not getting to it sooner. Let me know if there any mistakes.
    No need to apologize, the sheets are amazing and I am very thankful they exist.

    The D will play better and that will help whoever is in goal, and until this year we've had no reason to question Sanger's ability to coach, so I do feel better about the situation. Let's give the guys a chance and see what happens. They still need to sign another goalie for at 19-20 so when 20-21 hits and Lebedeff is a Jr they have a So behind him just in case. If they don't, they will need one in 20-21 for sure. What does the talent pool for 19-20 and 20-21 look like for uncommitted goalies?
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  19. #839
    Teaching you how to Bucky.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A den.
    Posts
    3,679

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

    Quote Originally Posted by gwhinwi View Post

    I may be wrong on this, but I thought that Brady Smith was a 14 year old commit. He was in 9th grade and committed 3 years ago, and I thought it was a pretty big deal then.
    Jordan Schmaltz committed before he started high school. I'd like to say I can't remember how that worked out. ---> But I do.


    It's crazy, but that's the college hockey world now. Look at the NTDP invitees, 46 essentially 15 year olds and 30 of them are already committed. Who knows how many will be top players still or stay committed to the same school 4 years from now. Add that to the increased appetite for young players in the NHL and the traditional young superstar system at UW, BU, BC, MI, MN etc. might be an endangered species. Be interesting to see how Motzko handles recruiting for the goofs over the next several years.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

  20. #840
    Sad Panda
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My Body is in Georgia. My Heart will always be in Wisconsin
    Posts
    993

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    Jordan Schmaltz committed before he started high school. I'd like to say I can't remember how that worked out. ---> But I do.
    Ah, can't believe that one slipped my mind. Oh, wait... yes I can.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •