Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast
Results 541 to 560 of 704

Thread: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

  1. #541
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    3,348
    Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    Starting to quake in your skates, Gopher fan?
    Why would I? Because you're not going to be a 4 win team anymore? That actually helps us. Because you're committing more players than you can possibly bring in? That's not our problem.

    Why so defensive?

  2. #542
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    3,348
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBucky! View Post
    While I donít think itís ethical, or very nice, I find it a little hard to believe that pushing back recruits or even backing out hurts recruiting that much.
    History has repeatedly shown it does. How much it impacts recruiting depends a lot on how many and how often. Woog was just one example.

  3. #543
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    3,348
    Quote Originally Posted by DPlaya View Post
    If Frederic turns pro and 2 of the 4 remaining Eaves forward recruits aren't brought in UW is at 15 forwards next year. If all 4 of the Eaves forward recruits are not brought in and Frederic leaves after this year 2 guys from the 19-20 recruiting cycle get moved up to 18-19 and the whole spreadsheet looks great for the next 4 years. I think the Minnesota guys are hyperventilating when we don't even know the facts.
    haha... Seriously, have you seen Wisconsin's committed recruit list? It's obscene. Zero chance all those kids make it to campus. No reason to commit so many kids unless you are hedging your bets on whether kids develop.

    Again, something I am sure all coaches do to an extent and all coaches would love to do more. But do it too much and you get a bad reputation for it.

    As I said before, I think this staff deserves some slack during the transition, so I wasn't surprised to see them committing more kids than usual. But it's getting pretty strange at this point.

  4. #544
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    3,348
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonin21 View Post
    If you add the Caufields, you'll clearly see you've overrecruited for 19-20 and 20-21. There won't be room for about half the forward recruits currently lined up. Maybe it's genius. We'll see.
    If they don't have to pull scholarships and roster spots for kids, I'll be amazed, but very impressed.
    Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 10-13-2017 at 12:13 AM.

  5. #545
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Central, Wis
    Posts
    935

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

    Boner and state of hockey, go troll in goof threads. Thank you.

    You guys spend more time trolling Wisconsin threads. I am sure things will settle out with the last of Eaves recruits and some early departures. I am sure they have inklings of guys leaving or not coming.

  6. #546
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    9,245

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

    Quote Originally Posted by DPlaya View Post
    If Frederic turns pro and 2 of the 4 remaining Eaves forward recruits aren't brought in UW is at 15 forwards next year. If all 4 of the Eaves forward recruits are not brought in and Frederic leaves after this year 2 guys from the 19-20 recruiting cycle get moved up to 18-19 and the whole spreadsheet looks great for the next 4 years. I think the Minnesota guys are hyperventilating when we don't even know the facts.
    They have pretty small lungs and I can see the carbon dioxide builduping up in the tunnels causing problems. They don't understand Granato's game. It's a whole new mindset.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  7. #547
    Teaching you how to Bucky.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A den.
    Posts
    3,359

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

    Far be it for me to say something good about Wooger, but if over recruiting got him in trouble, it was only after a dozen years on one of the best runs in NCAA history. I imagine if he had not been forced to play with gopher players in the post season, his teams probably wouldn't have choked so much in all his FF appearances. But some school traditions are just nearly impossible to overcome...

    Beyond that, I think it's much ado about nothing. Or at least very little. The gentleman's agreement is largely dead, so what does "being committed" even mean anymore? The 15 year old is saying, "given a choice right now, I prefer to go to school X in 3-4 years". The coach is saying, "we want you to come to our school in 3-4 years." But that comes with the caveat that the player continues to develop as a top candidate. Kids know they can't just play video games for 3 years and have a guaranteed spot. And coaches know that if a kid is really good, every team in the country will happily find a spot for them. There's been plenty of "decommits" among good players in recent years, too.

    I understand why players, parents and coaches seek commitments, but the whole thing is becoming largely symbolic. Other fans fretting about Wisco commits can concern all they want, but it won't change the fact that in the next years, a lot of the very best players are going to become Badgers anyway.
    Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 10-13-2017 at 11:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

  8. #548
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,480
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    Far be it for me to say something good about Wooger, but if over recruiting got him in trouble, it was only after a dozen years on one of the best runs in NCAA history. I imagine if he had not been forced to play with gopher players in the post season, his teams probably wouldn't have choked so much in all his FF appearances. But some school traditions are just nearly impossible to overcome...

    Beyond that, I think it's much ado about nothing. Or at least very little. The gentleman's agreement is largely dead, so what does "being committed" even mean anymore? The 15 year old is saying, "given a choice right now, I prefer to go to school X in 3-4 years". The coach is saying, "we want you to come to our school in 3-4 years." But that comes with the caveat that the player continues to develop as a top candidate. Kids know they can't just play video games for 3 years and have a guaranteed spot. And coaches know that if a kid is really good, every team in the country will happily find a spot for them. There's been plenty of "decommits" among good players in recent years, too.

    I understand why players, parents and coaches seek commitments, but the whole thing is becoming largely symbolic. Other fans fretting about Wisco commits can concern all they want, but it won't change the fact that in the next years, a lot of the very best players are going to become Badgers anyway.
    Very well said. I can't wait to see how good this team can be under TMM

  9. #549
    SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The People's Republic of Madison
    Posts
    2,460

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

    Quote Originally Posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    Why would I? Because you're not going to be a 4 win team anymore? That actually helps us. Because you're committing more players than you can possibly bring in? That's not our problem.

    Why so defensive?
    R-E-L-A-X, mnstate0fconfusion! I didn't think I had to put in a winking eye emoji when talking with Gopher fan....at least I never had to before. Methinks your sphincter is tight!! (No emoji intended).
    The Rock - Kessel 2020.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi
    "License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

  10. #550
    Sad Panda
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My Body is in Georgia. My Heart will always be in Wisconsin
    Posts
    864

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

    Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    Methinks your sphincter is tight!! (No emoji intended).
    Hey Bill Shakespeare? Emoji?

  11. #551
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    3,348
    Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    R-E-L-A-X, mnstate0fconfusion! I didn't think I had to put in a winking eye emoji when talking with Gopher fan....at least I never had to before. Methinks your sphincter is tight!! (No emoji intended).
    Glad you weren't upset. Wasn't intending to troll. My bad on misinterpreting your comments. I just think it's an interesting topic. Certainly isn't unique to UW. Seen many a coach use this tactic with recruiting over the past three decades. Will be interesting to see how it plays out at UW.

    Anyways, it is nice to have UW back to form. Makes the games and rivalry that much more fun. One of my favorite rivalries.

  12. #552
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    3,348
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    Far be it for me to say something good about Wooger, but if over recruiting got him in trouble, it was only after a dozen years on one of the best runs in NCAA history. I imagine if he had not been forced to play with gopher players in the post season, his teams probably wouldn't have choked so much in all his FF appearances. But some school traditions are just nearly impossible to overcome...

    Beyond that, I think it's much ado about nothing. Or at least very little. The gentleman's agreement is largely dead, so what does "being committed" even mean anymore? The 15 year old is saying, "given a choice right now, I prefer to go to school X in 3-4 years". The coach is saying, "we want you to come to our school in 3-4 years." But that comes with the caveat that the player continues to develop as a top candidate. Kids know they can't just play video games for 3 years and have a guaranteed spot. And coaches know that if a kid is really good, every team in the country will happily find a spot for them. There's been plenty of "decommits" among good players in recent years, too.

    I understand why players, parents and coaches seek commitments, but the whole thing is becoming largely symbolic. Other fans fretting about Wisco commits can concern all they want, but it won't change the fact that in the next years, a lot of the very best players are going to become Badgers anyway.
    Woog had a great run thru the late 80's to early 90's, but his rep had soured in-state near the end of his tenure. I played high school hockey in MN in the early 90's. While I wasn't talented enough to earn D1 attention, the hockey community is a small one and the stories spread. Lots of kids upset at committing only to not be offered a scholarship or roster spot in the end.

    I generally agree with most of your sentiments on the gentlemen's agreement and commitments in general. I think the GA is bad for players and I do think verbal commitments are over valued. Like you, I hope we see a further shift away from the GA and have more open recruiting until the LOI is signed.

    But until the landscape changes and more teams and players themselves stop putting so much emphasis on the verbal, it will be an interesting dynamic to watch. Who knows, maybe this staff really is ahead of the curve.

  13. #553
    Sad Panda
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My Body is in Georgia. My Heart will always be in Wisconsin
    Posts
    864

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

    Quote Originally Posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    Glad you weren't upset. Wasn't intending to troll. My bad on misinterpreting your comments. I just think it's an interesting topic. Certainly isn't unique to UW. Seen many a coach use this tactic with recruiting over the past three decades. Will be interesting to see how it plays out at UW.

    Anyways, it is nice to have UW back to form. Makes the games and rivalry that much more fun. One of my favorite rivalries.
    Well said. It's nice to actually have a discussion on a message board that doesn't resolve itself in a negative way.

  14. #554
    SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The People's Republic of Madison
    Posts
    2,460
    Quote Originally Posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    Glad you weren't upset. Wasn't intending to troll. My bad on misinterpreting your comments. I just think it's an interesting topic. Certainly isn't unique to UW. Seen many a coach use this tactic with recruiting over the past three decades. Will be interesting to see how it plays out at UW.

    Anyways, it is nice to have UW back to form. Makes the games and rivalry that much more fun. One of my favorite rivalries.
    👌

  15. #555
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    621

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

    Was surpised to see Aleksi Peltonen did not make the Omaha Lancers and is playing in the NAHL for Corpus Christi. He seemed to be more highly touted than his brother who is a defenseman, and his brother made the Omaha roster (perhaps the defenseman crop for Omaha was weaker, but still a surprise to me).

    One suggestion for the recruiting spreadsheet...put Owen Lindmark in 2019-2020 and move Jack Gorniak to 2020-2021. I can't see Lindmark playing another year of Juniors after playing for the USNTDP and think it more likely Gorniak may need 2 years of Juniors before hitting UW.

  16. #556
    Sad Panda
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My Body is in Georgia. My Heart will always be in Wisconsin
    Posts
    864

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

    Quote Originally Posted by DPlaya View Post
    One suggestion for the recruiting spreadsheet...put Owen Lindmark in 2019-2020 and move Jack Gorniak to 2020-2021. I can't see Lindmark playing another year of Juniors after playing for the USNTDP and think it more likely Gorniak may need 2 years of Juniors before hitting UW.
    I'm still seeing Lindmark listed as a '20-'21 on a few different sites and considering he's still 16, I'll leave him there for the moment.

    Those years are messy enough on the sheet as they are. Haha.

  17. #557
    Teaching you how to Bucky.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A den.
    Posts
    3,359

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

    Quote Originally Posted by DPlaya View Post
    Was surpised to see Aleksi Peltonen did not make the Omaha Lancers and is playing in the NAHL for Corpus Christi. He seemed to be more highly touted than his brother who is a defenseman, and his brother made the Omaha roster (perhaps the defenseman crop for Omaha was weaker, but still a surprise to me).

    One suggestion for the recruiting spreadsheet...put Owen Lindmark in 2019-2020 and move Jack Gorniak to 2020-2021. I can't see Lindmark playing another year of Juniors after playing for the USNTDP and think it more likely Gorniak may need 2 years of Juniors before hitting UW.
    I'm surprised as well... hmmm... If Aleksi and maybe Bliss don't make the grade, that leaves 5 out, 5 in next year, assuming Freddy turns pro. If Seamus has a great year and goes, we'd possibly be beating the bushes for a forward.


    I do like seeing Messner and Dom Mersch wearing the C's for the Caps and Lincoln Stars.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

  18. #558
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    621

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    I'm surprised as well... hmmm... If Aleksi and maybe Bliss don't make the grade, that leaves 5 out, 5 in next year, assuming Freddy turns pro. If Seamus has a great year and goes, we'd possibly be beating the bushes for a forward.


    I do like seeing Messner and Dom Mersch wearing the C's for the Caps and Lincoln Stars.
    There's plenty of guys who are already committed who can come in a year earlier than planned.

  19. #559
    Teaching you how to Bucky.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A den.
    Posts
    3,359

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

    Quote Originally Posted by DPlaya View Post
    There's plenty of guys who are already committed who can come in a year earlier than planned.
    True, there's quite a bit of flexibility for next year depending on who does well.

    I mentioned before, but Cruikshank is also wearing the C for Penticton, so that's 3 F captains, which is a pretty good sign of the kind of kids they are. Always like that.


    I've heard that Sampo Ranta is looking really good early on. Speaking of which, here's Jurusic making a nice save, and a hatty by Sampo in the Fall Classic.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

  20. #560
    Registered College Hockey Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mosinee, WI
    Posts
    731

    Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

    Cole Caufield just loked Maddie Posick's tweet. Caufileds to the Badgers confirmed.

    https://twitter.com/maddieposick/sta...69893269843969


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •