Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

Disclaimer – I’m not a D1 college coach nor have I been out on the recruiting trail.

While I don’t think it’s ethical, or very nice, I find it a little hard to believe that pushing back recruits or even backing out hurts recruiting that much. We’re talking about early teenage boys here. When they hear about other recruits that got forced out I gotta believe they’re saying “that’s not going to be me I’m the best thing since sliced bread.” I suppose their parents may be getting in their ear, but if the team in question is kicking butt they will still want to go there.

You say you think this kind of over recruiting hurt Minnesota under Woog. I don’t recall how things ended under the end of the Woog era, even though I’ve been around that long, but I assume the team wasn’t up to Minnesota standards as far as wins?

We could say the same thing about the end of the Eaves and Sauer eras, they weren’t getting the recruits they normally should have been getting. It didn’t have anything to do with over recruiting, the teams were bad and it seemed the coaches were no longer able to produce.
    Wisconsin Badgers

National Champs 73, 77, 81, 83, 90 & 2006

Comment

If Frederic turns pro and 2 of the 4 remaining Eaves forward recruits aren't brought in UW is at 15 forwards next year. If all 4 of the Eaves forward recruits are not brought in and Frederic leaves after this year 2 guys from the 19-20 recruiting cycle get moved up to 18-19 and the whole spreadsheet looks great for the next 4 years. I think the Minnesota guys are hyperventilating when we don't even know the facts.

Comment

If you add the Caufields, you'll clearly see you've overrecruited for 19-20 and 20-21. There won't be room for about half the forward recruits currently lined up. Maybe it's genius. We'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
          If you add the Caufields, you'll clearly see you've overrecruited for 19-20 and 20-21. There won't be room for about half the forward recruits currently lined up. Maybe it's genius. We'll see.
          Not alone. Michigan has 6 D recruits for next fall.

Comment

They could lose 5 D

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
              Starting to quake in your skates, Gopher fan?
              Why would I? Because you're not going to be a 4 win team anymore? That actually helps us. Because you're committing more players than you can possibly bring in? That's not our problem.

Why so defensive?
              @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
              On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
              High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBucky! View Post
                While I don’t think it’s ethical, or very nice, I find it a little hard to believe that pushing back recruits or even backing out hurts recruiting that much.
                History has repeatedly shown it does. How much it impacts recruiting depends a lot on how many and how often. Woog was just one example.

Comment

• Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
                  If Frederic turns pro and 2 of the 4 remaining Eaves forward recruits aren't brought in UW is at 15 forwards next year. If all 4 of the Eaves forward recruits are not brought in and Frederic leaves after this year 2 guys from the 19-20 recruiting cycle get moved up to 18-19 and the whole spreadsheet looks great for the next 4 years. I think the Minnesota guys are hyperventilating when we don't even know the facts.
                  haha... Seriously, have you seen Wisconsin's committed recruit list? It's obscene. Zero chance all those kids make it to campus. No reason to commit so many kids unless you are hedging your bets on whether kids develop.

Again, something I am sure all coaches do to an extent and all coaches would love to do more. But do it too much and you get a bad reputation for it.

As I said before, I think this staff deserves some slack during the transition, so I wasn't surprised to see them committing more kids than usual. But it's getting pretty strange at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                    If they don't have to pull scholarships and roster spots for kids, I'll be amazed, but very impressed.
                    Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 10-12-2017, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Boner and state of hockey, go troll in goof threads. Thank you.

You guys spend more time trolling Wisconsin threads. I am sure things will settle out with the last of Eaves recruits and some early departures. I am sure they have inklings of guys leaving or not coming.
                      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
                        They have pretty small lungs and I can see the carbon dioxide builduping up in the tunnels causing problems. They don't understand Granato's game. It's a whole new mindset.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Far be it for me to say something good about Wooger, but if over recruiting got him in trouble, it was only after a dozen years on one of the best runs in NCAA history. I imagine if he had not been forced to play with gopher players in the post season, his teams probably wouldn't have choked so much in all his FF appearances. But some school traditions are just nearly impossible to overcome...

Beyond that, I think it's much ado about nothing. Or at least very little. The gentleman's agreement is largely dead, so what does "being committed" even mean anymore? The 15 year old is saying, "given a choice right now, I prefer to go to school X in 3-4 years". The coach is saying, "we want you to come to our school in 3-4 years." But that comes with the caveat that the player continues to develop as a top candidate. Kids know they can't just play video games for 3 years and have a guaranteed spot. And coaches know that if a kid is really good, every team in the country will happily find a spot for them. There's been plenty of "decommits" among good players in recent years, too.

I understand why players, parents and coaches seek commitments, but the whole thing is becoming largely symbolic. Other fans fretting about Wisco commits can concern all they want, but it won't change the fact that in the next years, a lot of the very best players are going to become Badgers anyway.
                          Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 10-13-2017, 10:03 AM.
                          Originally posted by WiscTJK
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                          Originally posted by Timothy A
                          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                            Far be it for me to say something good about Wooger, but if over recruiting got him in trouble, it was only after a dozen years on one of the best runs in NCAA history. I imagine if he had not been forced to play with gopher players in the post season, his teams probably wouldn't have choked so much in all his FF appearances. But some school traditions are just nearly impossible to overcome...

Beyond that, I think it's much ado about nothing. Or at least very little. The gentleman's agreement is largely dead, so what does "being committed" even mean anymore? The 15 year old is saying, "given a choice right now, I prefer to go to school X in 3-4 years". The coach is saying, "we want you to come to our school in 3-4 years." But that comes with the caveat that the player continues to develop as a top candidate. Kids know they can't just play video games for 3 years and have a guaranteed spot. And coaches know that if a kid is really good, every team in the country will happily find a spot for them. There's been plenty of "decommits" among good players in recent years, too.

I understand why players, parents and coaches seek commitments, but the whole thing is becoming largely symbolic. Other fans fretting about Wisco commits can concern all they want, but it won't change the fact that in the next years, a lot of the very best players are going to become Badgers anyway.
                            Very well said. I can't wait to see how good this team can be under TMM
                            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                              Why would I? Because you're not going to be a 4 win team anymore? That actually helps us. Because you're committing more players than you can possibly bring in? That's not our problem.

Why so defensive?
                              R-E-L-A-X, mnstate0fconfusion! I didn't think I had to put in a winking eye emoji when talking with Gopher fan....at least I never had to before. Methinks your sphincter is tight!! (No emoji intended).
                              "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                                Methinks your sphincter is tight!! (No emoji intended).
                                Hey Bill Shakespeare? Emoji?
                                Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Working...
                                X