Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    Speaking of Luke LaMaster, he had an assist and was +3 as his Duluth East Greyhounds upset future Badger D Mike Vorlickey's Edina (cake eaters) in the AA Semi finals last night 4-2 and will play #1 Minnetonka for the title.

Vorlickey has been on the draft boards as a mid to late rounder and LaMaster hasn't. Have to think with his commit to the Badgers and his performance this year, some NHL teams are now giving him a second look for the late rounds as well. Janesville Jets and Chicago Steel hold LaMaster's rights for next year in their respective leagues.
    What's the deal with the "caker eaters"?

It's ok for LaMaster to fly in under the radar and be a solid 4 year guy. Of course if he's undrafted and plays great, he might be more of the flight risk, but TG is planning on flights.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      What's the deal with the "caker eaters"?
      From an insult used in Mighty Ducks specific to people from Edina

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104868/...item=tr0686895

Comment

someone posted this a while back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvU_Zhe8tpw
        gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

The spreadsheet is updated and rolled over to the new season (Not for the women though, their season continues...)
          Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Frederic turned pro and UW is going to bring in at least one forward beyond Ranta, Messner and Mersch who have previously been announced as arriving for forwards for 2018-2019. I would have to think Brock Caufield makes the most sense of those already committed followed by Roman Ahcan, although Todd Milewski mentions it is unclear if it is someone that is already committed or not.

Comment

Last Friday I had the opportunity to watch Team Wisconsin U16 vs. the Jr. Admirals U16 at the Wisconsin Tier I State Tournament. Team Wisconsin is ranked #1 in the country and features UW recruits Daniel Laatsch and Casey Roepke. The Jr. Admirals goaltender is Jack Keich who I was told is one of 3 goaltenders under consideration for the 2 goaltender slots on the US National Team U-17 Team next year.

The Jr. Admirals went up 2-0 in the game within 2 minutes of the start but Team Wisconsin, who had not played together in a game since before the high school season, quickly got their legs under them and proceeded to ratchet up the firepower and cruise to an 11-5 win (or maybe it was 11-6?)...there were a lot of goals....most of which Keich had no chance at all to stop.

I was impressed with Laatsch. He has tremendous physical size (height but not yet weight) and is extremely poised with the puck. Great decision-making. Roepke did not jump out at me as much during the game.

I wonder if UW is keeping tabs on Keich? He is from Wilmette, Illinois. Might be a name to remember. I did not realize there was a goaltender of that caliber playing in Wisconsin.
              Last edited by DPlaya; 03-13-2018, 09:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
                Last Friday I had the opportunity to watch Team Wisconsin U16 vs. the Jr. Admirals U16 at the Wisconsin Tier I State Tournament. Team Wisconsin is ranked #1 in the country and features UW recruits Daniel Laatsch and Casey Roepke. The Jr. Admirals goaltender is Jack Keich who I was told is one of 3 goaltenders under consideration for the 2 goaltender slots on the US National Team U-17 Team next year.

The Jr. Admirals went up 2-0 in the game within 2 minutes of the start but Team Wisconsin, who had not played together in a game since before the high school season, quickly got their legs under them and proceeded to ratchet up the firepower and cruise to an 11-5 win (or maybe it was 11-6?)...there were a lot of goals....most of which Keich had no chance at all to stop.

I was impressed with Laatsch. He has tremendous physical size (height but not yet weight) and is extremely poised with the puck. Great decision-making. Roepke did not jump out at me as much during the game.

I wonder if UW is keeping tabs on Keich? He is from Wilmette, Illinois. Might be a name to remember. I did not realize there was a goaltender of that caliber playing in Wisconsin.
                Thanks, DP. Nice to know there are more Tier 1 kids coming up in the state. We seem to have been down recently at that age.
                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
                  Frederic turned pro and UW is going to bring in at least one forward beyond Ranta, Messner and Mersch who have previously been announced as arriving for forwards for 2018-2019. I would have to think Brock Caufield makes the most sense of those already committed followed by Roman Ahcan, although Todd Milewski mentions it is unclear if it is someone that is already committed or not.
                  Maybe the peltonen bros, but we have a log jam at defense.
                  gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                    Maybe the peltonen bros, but we have a log jam at defense.
                    The Peltonen that is a D is +17 and has but a few points, UW could use a steady stay at home D who plays a simple game, but yeah there are a lot of D coming already next year. His brother doesn't have stats that scream call me up.

I guess the F who tried out after the start of 2018 never made it. Stick tap for the effort though.

So Caufield isn't coming this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

I guess the F who tried out after the start of 2018 never made it. Stick tap for the effort though.

So Caufield isn't coming this year?
                      He's still on the roster: http://uwbadgers.com/roster.aspx?rp_...6&path=mhockey

I think Brock Caufield is a possibility. He's 19 as of last week. 10 goals, 18 assists in 47 games with the Gamblers this year.

Comment

A little housekeeping as had I been paying attention I would have posted this here instead of the other thread.

At this point I think Mersch, Messner, and Ranta are the only NLI signed F's we're certain about. I'd venture Peltonen is almost certainly not coming in. Caufield may seem likely, but I wonder... Frederic was on as close to a full ride as you can get and Caufield probably isn't slated for the same money so you could put him off and bring him in with his brother next year. Other options would be any of a couple of high scoring Euro's, or Mathieu De St. Phalle, a bigger playmaker, is playing top line wing for Omaha, '99 born Roman Ahcan is playing 2nd line wing for Cedar Rapids, Jack Gorniak out of West Salem has been ranked in the 50's by Central Scouting, and Ben Almquist, another '99 who had 56 points in 25 games for Holy Family Catholic could all possibly accelerate.

A problem next year is now we're short of Centers. Malone, Baker, and Zirbel are the only natural centers coming back and the 3 freshman F's are all wings.

I think Brock Caufield is a possibility. He's 19 as of last week. 10 goals, 18 assists in 47 games with the Gamblers this year.

Brock is actually playing Center, so one would think that would work from that angle a little, so maybe the simple answer is it. Tony said originally "We're going to get the best players, and when they leave, we're going to go out and get more." So my question is, do you go get Brock, who is a good solid player but doesn't really project a high ceiling at the moment, or, do you bring up a kid like Gorniak, who's ceiling is possibly NHL top six and hope he makes the jump similar to the way Ess did? Of course it depends a lot on the individual's character and mindset, it's a big jump from HS elite league to NCAA. But there's a future logjam at F developing too, and it might make sense to accelerate one of these guys in the hope you get them in and out of here sooner, while still getting the most out of them you can.
                        Originally posted by WiscTJK
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                        Originally posted by Timothy A
                        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• The NTDP tryout camp roster came out today and the Admirals goalie I mentioned is not on it. So much for that piece of info!

UW recruits Tanner Latsch, Anthony Kehrer and Daniel Laatsch are all on the roster.

A little housekeeping as had I been paying attention I would have posted this here instead of the other thread.

Brock is actually playing Center, so one would think that would work from that angle a little, so maybe the simple answer is it. Tony said originally "We're going to get the best players, and when they leave, we're going to go out and get more." So my question is, do you go get Brock, who is a good solid player but doesn't really project a high ceiling at the moment, or, do you bring up a kid like Gorniak, who's ceiling is possibly NHL top six and hope he makes the jump similar to the way Ess did? Of course it depends a lot on the individual's character and mindset, it's a big jump from HS elite league to NCAA. But there's a future logjam at F developing too, and it might make sense to accelerate one of these guys in the hope you get them in and out of here sooner, while still getting the most out of them you can.

Comment

Todd D tweeted that the Peltonen lads are still in play.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              Todd D tweeted that the Peltonen lads are still in play.
                              So it appears I had the wrong Jr. Admirals goaltender...Noah Grannen is on the NTDP tryout roster. In their game against Team Wisconsin both Admiral goalies were wearing "Keich" jerseys meaning Grannen must have forgot his jerseys. I wrongly assumed it was Keich in the net.

Grannen is from the Milwaukee area.

BTW, Nuetral Zone has a free feature up on American-born USHL and NTDP likely Top 115 player rankings born in 2002. Latsch, Laatsch, Roepke, Kehrer and Grannen are all listed.

Comment

If we get a roster full of Finns, Swedes and Russians, that will be some WFO hockey. Other social sites discussing Badger hockey have guys ****ing their pants over the past season and not looking to the future.

Not here.

There some concerns, etc., but nobody's jumping off any bridges. The future really does look bright.
                                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Working...
                                X