Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continued admissions issue...

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

Originally posted by GBBadger14 View Post
      Continued admissions issue...
      Not to stir the pot, but can anyone cite any other recent examples of recruits who were sent away because of admission issues? Specific examples similar to this would be great; a student who has committed (and even signed the LOI) only to be turned away because of admission issues as compared to a "oh, I heard he would have come here if he could have gotten through admission but he knew he couldn't so he went somewhere else".

I know that we hear it a lot, a certain former football coach made his opinions well known, but is it actually an issue beyond 1-2 out of 100 potential student-athletes per sport?

Again, I'm not just being contradictory, I don't know what the statistics or history on this matter are. If anyone has more information I would be glad to hear it.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher
        U.Conn accepted Joe Masonius, who committed to UNH but couldn't clear admissions
        U.Conn accepted Maxim Letunov, who committed to BU but couldn't clear admissions.
        Says a lot for uconn, eh?

I wouldn't call this a "Continued admission issue". I find it difficult to believe that the English language thing is the roadblock. Swedes learn English at an early age and, if you listen to NHL interviews, they barely have accents except for the very young ones who just came to the U.S. or Canada. How about maybe his grades aren't good enough or is that too PC?
        "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
          Not to stir the pot, but can anyone cite any other recent examples of recruits who were sent away because of admission issues? Specific examples similar to this would be great; a student who has committed (and even signed the LOI) only to be turned away because of admission issues as compared to a "oh, I heard he would have come here if he could have gotten through admission but he knew he couldn't so he went somewhere else".

I know that we hear it a lot, a certain former football coach made his opinions well known, but is it actually an issue beyond 1-2 out of 100 potential student-athletes per sport?

Again, I'm not just being contradictory, I don't know what the statistics or history on this matter are. If anyone has more information I would be glad to hear it.
          For football...
          Mohammed Berry
          DJ Singleton
          Donnel Vercher
          Sam Madden
          Jamil Kamara
          Craig Evans

For basketball...
          Diamond Stone

I'm probably missing a couple for football, but that's all I could think of at the moment.

Comment

Garret Suter was an example for hockey, roughly 8-10 years ago.

I'm sure there have been others since, but I can't think of too many.
            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post

Taylar Cianfarano committed to the UW women's program for 14-15, but she could not get into UW, so she went to Quinnipiac. That's the only women's player I know of over the last 4 years since I have been following the program closely.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post

I was pointed to this article from a few years ago. This identifies Nick Pryor and Troy Hesketh as academic casualties. Neither of which went on to set the world on fire.

It seems like it happens, once in a while, but I wouldn't think that this is any kind of epidemic that is keeping us from being competitive or successful.
                Last edited by KaMiGo; 12-12-2016, 01:37 PM. Reason: formatting cleanup

Comment

For basketball...
                  Diamond Stone
                  You'd better find a whole bunch of sources to back that one up, because everything I saw was that Stone's supposed admission issues were just a bunch of nonsense. The only people saying Diamond Stone couldn't come to UW because of admissions issues were Badgers fans with their heads up their butts, unable to understand why Maryland was a much better fit for him. (There's some kind of midwest bias at play here...) The ACT score rumor was false, too.

That's definitely not the kind of example that KaMiGo was asking for. He never committed to UW in the first place, anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                    That's definitely not the kind of example that KaMiGo was asking for. He never committed to UW in the first place, anyway!
                    Quite true.

I'm not interested in the wild speculation of "we lost this recruiting because there was no way he/she would get admitted", I'm more interested in the "this person was lined up, committed, signed, maybe even in town and things fell apart because of academics" situations.

I'm sure that anecdotally speaking that there are dozens and dozens of the first case, and that's fine. We may not be able to land some possible recruits because of their academics and I am OK with that, UW has higher standards and that isn't a bad thing.
                    But by the time we are far enough into the process that an NLI is filed we should know well enough what a prospect's academics look like. If we get this far into the process before the warning light turns on I put that one on the coaches.

Comment

2001 born Dylan Holloway committed to Wisconsin today. Playing this season with Calgary Flames Midget AAA.
                      WISCONSIN BADGERS
                      NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                      WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                      WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                      B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                      Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                        2001 born Dylan Holloway committed to Wisconsin today. Playing this season with Calgary Flames Midget AAA.
                        At this point I'm going to pencil him in for 2020-21. Thanks for the heads up.
                        Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                          At this point I'm going to pencil him in for 2020-21. Thanks for the heads up.
                          Interesting pick up. Only 8 pts in 18 games, but already 6' tall. Also drafted to Everett.

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                            You'd better find a whole bunch of sources to back that one up, because everything I saw was that Stone's supposed admission issues were just a bunch of nonsense. The only people saying Diamond Stone couldn't come to UW because of admissions issues were Badgers fans with their heads up their butts, unable to understand why Maryland was a much better fit for him. (There's some kind of midwest bias at play here...) The ACT score rumor was false, too.

Subscribing to Badger247 and reading what Evan Flood had to say would say differently, but I don't want to get into it about him. I think we all read enough about him the last two years haha. We'll stick to hockey on here.

Comment

Subscribing to Badger247 and reading what Evan Flood had to say would say differently, but I don't want to get into it about him. I think we all read enough about him the last two years haha. We'll stick to hockey on here.
                              and there was the whole under armour rumors as well.
                              gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                                That was quick...Oz was out west in October; Holloway was on a campus visit last week; committed yesterday. I love western Canadians. Always have, always will. Tough mother ****ers.

Where has time gone? It seems like yesterday we were just looking at players with 1982 -1988 birth years now we're looking at 2000-2001 birth years.
                                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Working...
                                X