Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northern Michigan University Wildcats 2016-17 Season Thread: Gotta Get Up And Try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by boot_walt_kyle View Post
    I've been beating the Fire Walt Kyle drum for over a decade now. He should've been replaced years ago. Instead we have waited around, twiddled our thumbs, and look like total boobs. It's well past time for Walt to hit the road. The AD needs to be fired as well. NMU ATHLETICS IS A TRAVESTY!

EDIT: NMU has some respectable varsity teams: women's basketball, mens and womens swimming, mens and women's skiiing, cross country. The rest of the sports have been trash so far. We used to have a good women's soccer team - NOPE! We used to be national contenders for volleyball - MIDDLE OF THE PACK! Football and men's bb-ball have been travesties each and every year for over a decade. IT IS TIME FOR CHANGE AT NMU
    They're baaaaaack
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: Northern Michigan University Wildcats 2016-17 Season Thread: Gotta Get Up And Try

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      They're baaaaaack
      Of Course I am back! This is my time to shine! The rest of the NMU fans are finally understanding that Walt Kyle is a Joe Schmoe coach who can't take NMU to the glory land! People are fed up with NMU's apathetic attitude and are rising up and demanding changes. I am here to once again take up the reigns and lead the movement that was started so many years ago!!! NMU - Where the M stands for Mediocrity

Comment

• Originally posted by boot_walt_kyle View Post
        Of Course I am back! This is my time to shine! The rest of the NMU fans are finally understanding that Walt Kyle is a Joe Schmoe coach who can't take NMU to the glory land! People are fed up with NMU's apathetic attitude and are rising up and demanding changes. I am here to once again take up the reigns and lead the movement that was started so many years ago!!! NMU - Where the M stands for Mediocrity
        I thought it is where N stands for kNOWLEDGE?
        Go Cats!

Comment

• Re: Northern Michigan University Wildcats 2016-17 Season Thread: Gotta Get Up And Try

As if right on cue, BWK is here to tilt windmills thinking that changing the coach will suddenly make this team as awesome and amazing as the University of North Dakota or Boston College.

If the struggles of the football program, basketball programs (plural), volleyball program, and other middling sports at NMU for the better part of twenty years hasn't made the point obvious, nothing will. Changing the coach of the hockey program won't change the attitude of the University towards athletics as a whole.

I understand money is tight for the University and wildly throwing additional money at these programs isn't the best course of action. But there needs to be firm direction given by the University regarding the athletics as a whole. Either keep the status quo, don't ask why when long time donors stop giving, and continue to operate sports as just something we offer just like the other schools in our "like minded" GLIAC conference, or show some balls and commit to running a Division 1 hockey program and figure out how to best run the athletic department.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by noremorse1 View Post
            I thought it is where N stands for kNOWLEDGE?
            Not Much Upstairs.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Seems this "journalistic" piece has brought a bunch of the older posters back to USCHO. All we're missing is MOJO with some smarmy rah-rah-pro-MTU-things-sure-are-different-from-20-years-ago post.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I miss nmu pic diva myself.
                BLEED BLUE

Comment

I can all but guarantee that, if NMU makes a change, what you get will be closer to Damon Whitten or Jamie Russell or Matt Thomas than it is to Mel Pearson, Mike Hastings or Chris Bergeron. Then again, those 3 would not likely have taken the jobs at NMU, LSSU or UAA under the same conditions that Kyle, Whitten or Thomas is stuck with.

Comment

• Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
                    I can all but guarantee that, if NMU makes a change, what you get will be closer to Damon Whitten or Jamie Russell or Matt Thomas than it is to Mel Pearson, Mike Hastings or Chris Bergeron. Then again, those 3 would not likely have taken the jobs at NMU, LSSU or UAA under the same conditions that Kyle, Whitten or Thomas is stuck with.
                    Exactly. Oh, maybe a Newell Brown or Bob Mancini might come along but as soon as they have things looking good they will move on to greener pastures. Look at MTU post John MacInnis and you will see the cycle NMU will go through.

If you think letting Walt go is the answer, then so be it. But the state of the athletic department as a whole since the days of Judy Bailey has to be reworked to promote success.
                    Last edited by NMUFAN; 01-20-2017, 04:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                      Seems this "journalistic" piece has brought a bunch of the older posters back to USCHO. All we're missing is MOJO with some smarmy rah-rah-pro-MTU-things-sure-are-different-from-20-years-ago post.

Touche Aparch! That was pretty good. True, very sarcastic, but good

Maybe NMU should pursue Tech's athletic director and see if she can turn things around at NMU...

As for changing coaches at NMU. One thing is clear, this community wants change and they aren't coming back until it happens. Don't shoot the messenger...

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
                        You could dress Alabama-Huntsville up in Michigan sweaters and the only difference most of the fans would notice is that Red's not behind the bench. You would have a huge crowd, many wearing the colors of the visiting team.
                        If that's the case, you have some clueless hockey fans in Marquette. Apathy has set in. Time for a change.
                        "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

• Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                          If that's the case, you have some clueless hockey fans in Marquette. Apathy has set in. Time for a change.
                          I can tell you for a fact that when Michigan or Michigan St came to town, they drew a much larger crowd than Western or Ferris, regardless of the skill level of those opponents. People get excited to see that block 'M' in the blue & yellow of Ann Arbor or that Sparty logo from East Lansing.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Some interesting stats for you regarding the success of the NMU program in comparison with Tech, since MOJO brought up the idea with the AD suggestion.

Since the NMU program began play in the 1976-77 season, the Wildcats have finished with more overall wins (i.e. not head-to-head) than the Huskies in 28 of the 40 seasons played. The high water mark was unsurprisingly 1990-91 when NMU finished with 38 wins...25 more than MTU's 13 that season. From 1996-97 to 2013-14, Northern finished with more wins in all but one season (that one was in 2006-7). The two teams had an equal 19 wins in the first season of 1976-77, and only once have they both achieved 20 wins in the same season (1980-81).

In the previous two seasons to the current one, Tech has posted 23 more wins than NMU (15 more in 2014-15, 8 more in 2015-16) in the most successful 2 years ever for the Huskies in that regard. Tech had more wins in each season from 1980-81 to 1983-84, but that combined total was only 16 wins. The only other time the Huskies posted more wins than the Wildcats in back to back seasons was 1994-95 and 1995-96.

So in a nutshell - if the success of NMU hockey is measured by how well they stack up against their biggest rival, this is fast approaching the low water mark...if it isn't already there. But if that's the only criteria, I think your priorities may need some adjustment.

Maybe the better question would be WHY is this happening.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                              Some interesting stats for you regarding the success of the NMU program in comparison with Tech, since MOJO brought up the idea with the AD suggestion.

Since the NMU program began play in the 1976-77 season, the Wildcats have finished with more overall wins (i.e. not head-to-head) than the Huskies in 28 of the 40 seasons played. The high water mark was unsurprisingly 1990-91 when NMU finished with 38 wins...25 more than MTU's 13 that season. From 1996-97 to 2013-14, Northern finished with more wins in all but one season (that one was in 2006-7). The two teams had an equal 19 wins in the first season of 1976-77, and only once have they both achieved 20 wins in the same season (1980-81).

In the previous two seasons to the current one, Tech has posted 23 more wins than NMU (15 more in 2014-15, 8 more in 2015-16) in the most successful 2 years ever for the Huskies in that regard. Tech had more wins in each season from 1980-81 to 1983-84, but that combined total was only 16 wins. The only other time the Huskies posted more wins than the Wildcats in back to back seasons was 1994-95 and 1995-96.

So in a nutshell - if the success of NMU hockey is measured by how well they stack up against their biggest rival, this is fast approaching the low water mark...if it isn't already there. But if that's the only criteria, I think your priorities may need some adjustment.

Maybe the better question would be WHY is this happening.
                              It's troubling when you look across all three major sports at both NMU and MTU. It started with basketball, moved over to football a decade ago and now hockey...not sure how much more us Wildcat fans can take! Having grown up in Lake Linden I can appreciate where Tech was and where they are now...

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
                                I would be thrilled to see Jamie Russell as head coach with Oystrick as first assistant. Seeing as Russell sought out Oystrick and brought him in as a player-assistant for the Jackals last season it doesn't seem too far fetched. To be honest, I would even be ok with giving Oystrick a shot at head coach despite his limited coaching experience. NCAA football has provided a model for how mid major programs have to handle coaching, and what has worked is hiring young hungry coaching candidates with university connections and hoping they catch fire and you have the next great coach. Average salary for an ECHL head coach is $40,000 per season. I would hope that NMU could pony up that money to get Oystrick as an assistant

Comment

Working...
                                X