Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northern Michigan University Wildcats 2016-17 Season Thread: Gotta Get Up And Try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northern Michigan University Wildcats 2016-17 Season Thread: Gotta Get Up And Try

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    The Big Ten isn't going away. Nor is the NCHC. The WCHA & AHA have basically been relegated to mid-major status. We're the MAC & Sun Belt of college hockey. Last year at the GLI, one of the best coaches ever in college hockey told me that the Big Ten was good for the Big Ten, but horrible for the rest of college hockey. Unfortunately, we're not going back. The loss of tournament revenue, increased travel and the loss of 8-10,000 tickets sold per year has hurt the leftovers. Tech, Bowling Green and Minnesota State have had improved alumni and Instututional support. The rest have had a difficult time closing the gap. Of the other schools, only Ferris has had much sustained success. There are serious budgetary issues at many of the other schools.
    And I read your comments on here frequently and respect your knowledge and opinion on not only Northern Hockey, but college hockey as a whole. In less than five years, I think teams will start folding as a result of this situation. You mentioned travel being an issue, and travel has always been an issue at Northern. Constructing a turnaround project on Northern Hockey in the midst of all this could be next to impossible. Man, I hate to be this defeatist, but I have not seen a dog this sick get well.
    “They are a **** site better than the U.S. Army, at least we know that they will be there in the morning.”
    – Lewis B. Chesty Puller
    when a journalist asked him about being surrounded by 22. enemy divisions

Comment

• Re: Northern Michigan University Wildcats 2016-17 Season Thread: Gotta Get Up And Try

Nebraska-Omaha (6-5-1) @ NMU (3-10-1) this weekend in Marquette....

Can NMU "stop the bleeding" and win a couple of games at home in The Berry????

Comment

Same story just change the year, 201?

Budgetary issues, injuries, lack of fan support, etc...

Where have we heard this before? Well, you want to know what I hear? Horrible and boring system/style of hockey, apathetic athletic department/director which/who doesn't extend it/himself outside of the university or within the arena, lack of respect for the head coach, nepotism throughout the ranks without regard for skill and experience in position, along with a steady decline in talent. All recipes for disaster.

Hell, does anyone even know where to begin in rebuilding? I for one cannot escape the doubters, pessimists, and disgruntled in the community and within the arena. Obviously it shows by the lack of support within the community, which lends credence to a belief among'st many that change may be necessary.

In major college sports this could be the AD, the head coach, or even the assistants when systems and/or programs fail. Is anybody accountable for NMU's failed athletic programs?

Comment

• Originally posted by MOJO View Post
          Same story just change the year, 201?

Budgetary issues, injuries, lack of fan support, etc...

Where have we heard this before? Well, you want to know what I hear? Horrible and boring system/style of hockey, apathetic athletic department/director which/who doesn't extend it/himself outside of the university or within the arena, lack of respect for the head coach, nepotism throughout the ranks without regard for skill and experience in position, along with a steady decline in talent. All recipes for disaster.

Hell, does anyone even know where to begin in rebuilding? I for one cannot escape the doubters, pessimists, and disgruntled in the community and within the arena. Obviously it shows by the lack of support within the community, which lends credence to a belief among'st many that change may be necessary.

In major college sports this could be the AD, the head coach, or even the assistants when systems and/or programs fail. Is anybody accountable for NMU's failed athletic programs?
          I have no doubt budget plays into it very heavily. We've been going through coaches since Jeff Jackson left. Not all these guys had to be bad coaches. Lots of change, same results. Nepotism? There weren't many complaints when you guys made the NCAA in 2010 or 11 and were at the Joe every year? We've the coaches & assistants we could afford to pay and the recruits we could afford to scout and the evaluations we could afford to make. Our record shows it. You're in the same boat.

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
            I have no doubt budget plays into it very heavily. We've been going through coaches since Jeff Jackson left. Not all these guys had to be bad coaches. Lots of change, same results. Nepotism? There weren't many complaints when you guys made the NCAA in 2010 or 11 and were at the Joe every year? We've the coaches & assistants we could afford to pay and the recruits we could afford to scout and the evaluations we could afford to make. Our record shows it. You're in the same boat.
            I respect your opinion and that of others. While I'm troubled by the state of NMU's hockey and athletic programs, I cannot escape what I believe to be a consensus feeling in the community that change is needed. This is something that has built over several years and frankly many have distanced themselves from the program and eagerly await it. It's actually quite sad that the program has sank to such lows.

Comment

Looks like attendance has trended down the past few years: http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan...h.php?tmi=7176
              However... only recently.
              Go Cats!

Comment

Good to see D2 & D3 schools who play D1 Hockey ranked in the 2016-17 NCAA D1 Hockey Top 20 Poll This Week.... #17 Union and #19 St. Lawrence are D3 schools playing D1 Hockey.... Hopefully NMU (which is a D2 school playing D1 Hockey) can get back into the NCAA Top 20 again sometime in the future....

2016-17 USCHO D1 Hockey Poll

November 21st, 2016

Team Record Points
                1 Minnesota-Duluth 10-2-2 996 (D2)****
                2 Denver 7-2-3 950
                3 Quinnipiac 9-3-1 859
                4 Boston College 10-3-1 818
                5 North Dakota 7-4-2 731
                6 Massachusetts-Lowell 8-4-2 692
                7 Boston University 6-4-1 655
                8 Penn State 11-1-1 615
                9 Harvard 5-1-1 610
                10 Bemidji State 11-2-1 543 (D2)****
                11 Minnesota 5-3-2 537
                12 Notre Dame 6-4-2 507
                13 Ohio State 8-1-4 466
                14 Minnesota State 8-5-1 336 (D2)****
                15 St. Cloud State 6-6-0 234 (D2)****
                16 Michigan 5-4-1 218
                17 Union 8-3-2 207 (D3)****
                18 Western Michigan 7-3-2 201
                19 St. Lawrence 8-4-2 176 (D3)****
                20 Vermont 7-3-2 88

Comment

• Originally posted by MOJO View Post
                  I respect your opinion and that of others. While I'm troubled by the state of NMU's hockey and athletic programs, I cannot escape what I believe to be a consensus feeling in the community that change is needed. This is something that has built over several years and frankly many have distanced themselves from the program and eagerly await it. It's actually quite sad that the program has sank to such lows.
                  Learn a lesson from those who have lived it. If all you change is the name on the coaches doors, you haven't changed anything except naming the next guy to go 15-16-3. We'd think that was a good season.
                  Last edited by RapidsCity; 11-23-2016, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by DonorRoomDrinker View Post
                      Good to see D2 & D3 schools who play D1 Hockey ranked in the 2016-17 NCAA D1 Hockey Top 20 Poll This Week....
                      Polls don't matter.
                      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by DonorRoomDrinker View Post
                        Good to see D2 & D3 schools who play D1 Hockey ranked in the 2016-17 NCAA D1 Hockey Top 20 Poll This Week.... #17 Union and #19 St. Lawrence are D3 schools playing D1 Hockey.... Hopefully NMU (which is a D2 school playing D1 Hockey) can get back into the NCAA Top 20 again sometime in the future....

2016-17 USCHO D1 Hockey Poll

November 21st, 2016

Team Record Points
                        1 Minnesota-Duluth 10-2-2 996 (D2)****
                        2 Denver 7-2-3 950
                        3 Quinnipiac 9-3-1 859
                        4 Boston College 10-3-1 818 FBS
                        5 North Dakota 7-4-2 731
                        6 Massachusetts-Lowell 8-4-2 692
                        7 Boston University 6-4-1 655
                        8 Penn State 11-1-1 615 FBS
                        9 Harvard 5-1-1 610
                        10 Bemidji State 11-2-1 543 (D2)****
                        11 Minnesota 5-3-2 537 FBS
                        12 Notre Dame 6-4-2 507 FBS
                        13 Ohio State 8-1-4 466 FBS
                        14 Minnesota State 8-5-1 336 (D2)****
                        15 St. Cloud State 6-6-0 234 (D2)****
                        16 Michigan 5-4-1 218 FBS
                        17 Union 8-3-2 207 (D3)****
                        18 Western Michigan 7-3-2 201
                        19 St. Lawrence 8-4-2 176 (D3)****
                        20 Vermont 7-3-2 88
                        I've marked up the money schools in your list.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I thought I would post this here.

Bob Chase has died. Local born and raised. NMU grad. A long and well respected career in Hockey broadcasting.

https://www.nhl.com/news/bob-chase-d...90/c-284056026
                          "I find that the most trouble encountered with quotes on the internet is figuring out their authenticity"
                          -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by FloridaCat View Post
                            I thought I would post this here.

Bob Chase has died. Local born and raised. NMU grad. A long and well respected career in Hockey broadcasting.

https://www.nhl.com/news/bob-chase-d...90/c-284056026
                            One of the all time legends.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

This weekend: NMU V Omaha, all kids 13 & under FREE with team jersey or shirt on. Or, 4 tickets, 4 hot dogs, 4 chips or candy & 4 sodas $48!

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                I've marked up the money schools in your list.
                                You've missed seed a few. Most notably, North Dakota.

Comment

Working...
                                X