Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northern Michigan University Wildcats 2016-17 Season Thread: Gotta Get Up And Try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northern Michigan University Wildcats 2016-17 Season Thread: Gotta Get Up And Try

Originally posted by noremorse1 View Post
    The Mankato announcers are bad. Real bad. I wish WCHA.TV let us pick home or away commentary. I was decided they were bad. It was when they slaughtered the pronunciation of Houghton that I decided to post.
    There's no technical way to do that with the way that the arrangement currently works.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by noremorse1 View Post
      The Mankato announcers are bad. Real bad. I wish WCHA.TV let us pick home or away commentary. I was decided they were bad. It was when they slaughtered the pronunciation of Houghton that I decided to post.

Also. Cats are not great tonight. Granted MSU-Mankato are tough. But not a good showing. Cats need to take more shots. So much passing. So little shot taking.
      Gotta have open shots to take shots. They didn't pass up too many opportunities. Minnesota St did well at clogging up the shooting lanes.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
        There's no technical way to do that with the way that the arrangement currently works.

GFM
        A secondary audio stream can't be simulcast with the main audio/video feed?
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
          A secondary audio stream can't be simulcast with the main audio/video feed?
          Since WCHA.TV charges for the service, do I & my station get compensated for the additional use, sale and redistribution of our product on the road?
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: Northern Michigan University Wildcats 2016-17 Season Thread: Gotta Get Up And Try

My opinion is WCHA-TV with Stretch or whatever it is called should be scrapped. It doesn't work where you can hear or watch it half the time anyway.

This is something the league needs to work on in the offseason.
            Last edited by Wi.Huskies Fan; 02-19-2017, 06:08 PM.
            MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
            2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

• Originally posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
              My opinion is WCHA-TV with Stretch or whatever it is called should be scrapped. It doesn't work where you can hear or watch it half the time anyway.

This is something the league needs to work in in the offseason.
              Short of the rinks in the league all replacing their infrastructure with fiber there's not a lot that can be done. The schools just don't want to spend money on the venture.
              Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                Since WCHA.TV charges for the service, do I & my station get compensated for the additional use, sale and redistribution of our product on the road?
                Nope, The Point won't see a dime. The current WCHA TV setup has all the revenue going to the league and the schools only get to keep advertising monies. Problem is no one really wants to buy advertising on WCHA TV so that is basically non-existent. So the league makes money on the deal while the schools are on the hook for $50,000+ in equipment & staff needed to produce this unfunded mandate.

Time to scrap the WCHA TV concept.

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                  Short of the rinks in the league all replacing their infrastructure with fiber there's not a lot that can be done. The schools just don't want to spend money on the venture.
                  Infrastructure is the biggest problem — some of these arenas just don't get enough bandwidth out. Second is production quality —*at some schools, it's an already-overworked sports information team putting together the broadcast. Some of the schools (MSU, BSU, BGSU, UAA/UAF) have some TV coverage to piggyback on, but not all do. The two best broadcasts are by a public TV station and college kids from another school.

It's a mess, and it's resulting in a product that some tolerant and most won't buy. If you apply some market incentives, it might happen. Before being told that I'd never get to do it again, I had a plan for a two-man booth powered by advertising that would pay us and would upgrade the equipment over time. I saved my breath and went and did other things (like get engaged that season).

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

What can change from night to night?

Alaska @ NMU Friday night was unwatchable. Froze, paused, skipped every five seconds.
                    Alaska @ NMU Saturday night had very good video and audio.
                    Is that a bandwidth priority issue? or poor broadcast preparation?

P.S. The games sucked for us both nights, which I realize is not a WCHA TV issue.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                      What can change from night to night?

Alaska @ NMU Friday night was unwatchable. Froze, paused, skipped every five seconds.
                      Alaska @ NMU Saturday night had very good video and audio.
                      Is that a bandwidth priority issue? or poor broadcast preparation?

P.S. The games sucked for us both nights, which I realize is not a WCHA TV issue.
                      The other variables at the rink would be the computer that's pulling the stream together and shooting it out of the building. Using budget components is a recipe for disaster.

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                        The other variables at the rink would be the computer that's pulling the stream together and shooting it out of the building. Using budget components is a recipe for disaster.

GFM
                        It is a combination of Stretch just not being very good and some schools trying to do it as cheap as possible. From a consumer standpoint, it's just not good business practice to sell everyone a $10 daily package and only half the game (or less) are decent enough to watch.

Can you blame the schools? No. Who wants to spend $10-$100 thousand plus on streaming equipment for little to no revenue. It is money well spent elsewhere, especially at the smaller schools.

Comment

• Originally posted by CKrouth View Post
                          It is a combination of Stretch just not being very good and some schools trying to do it as cheap as possible. From a consumer standpoint, it's just not good business practice to sell everyone a $10 daily package and only half the game (or less) are decent enough to watch.

Can you blame the schools? No. Who wants to spend $10-$100 thousand plus on streaming equipment for little to no revenue. It is money well spent elsewhere, especially at the smaller schools.
                          We can't even get many schools to provide s sufficient press box
                          only dedicated wireless channel. Instead, having to use the same network as the fans in the arena, which jams up when fans start logging in.

Comment

What a total disaster it was for NMU this past weekend down at Mankato getting swept (5-3) & (7-4) and Tolvanen's shutout streak ending in grand fashion as he gave up (12) goals in the two games.... With the losses NMU falls down to 8th place in the WCHA standings now only (1) point ahead of Alabama-Huntsville for the final #8 playoff spot.... With NMU not playing very well in the two Mankato games it doesn't bode well for the team going into their final regular season series vs MTU.... Their Playoff fate is in their own hands this weekend.... NMU could still back their way into the Playoffs if they lose both games to MTU and Alabama-Huntsville loses their (2) games to Bowling Green.... Not the way that you want to finish the regular season but it's a possibility....

WCHA Schedule This Weekend
                            #2 Michigan Tech @ #8 Northern Michigan
                            #8 Northern Michigan @ #2 Michigan Tech
                            #9 Alabama-Huntsville @ #4 Bowling Green
                            #5 Ferris State @ #7 Lake Superior State
                            #6 Alaska-Fairbanks @ #10 Alaska-Anchorage
                            #3 Minnesota State @ #1 Bemidji State

Current WCHA Point Total Standings
                            (61) - Bemidji State
                            (51) - Michigan Tech
                            (48) - Minnesota State
                            (38) - Bowling Green
                            (38) - Ferris State
                            (34) - Alaska-Fairbanks
                            (33) - Lake Superior State
                            (31) - Northern Michigan
                            (30) - Alabama-Huntsville
                            (26) - Alaska-Anchorage
                            Last edited by DonorRoomDrinker; 02-19-2017, 03:14 PM.

Comment

MTU (17-12-7) @ NMU (11-19-4) on Friday nite and NMU @ MTU on Saturday nite this weekend in the U.P. to wind up the 2016-17 regular season.... Any thoughts on this series???? I hope NMU plays better than they did last weekend down in Mankato....

Comment

Currently sitting eighth with UAA and UAH right on top of us trying to stay out of the basement themselves. A regulation sweep would be ideal. A split is more likely, and we're going to need help. This weekend, we become Bowling Green and Fairbanks fans.

Also, don't forget your checkbooks, Friday night's game is the annual silent auction to benefit the hockey program. You know, the one we all complain doesn't get enough funding.
                                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X