Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northern Michigan University Wildcats 2016-17 Season Thread: Gotta Get Up And Try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northern Michigan University Wildcats 2016-17 Season Thread: Gotta Get Up And Try

Originally posted by DonorRoomDrinker View Post
    The NMU Men's hockey coach search should be in good hands with Rick Comley, Don Waddell & Forrest Karr on the search committee.... NMU AD Forrest Karr played college hockey at Notre Dame, coached in the ECHL and the USNDT U-18 team so I would assume they should be able to bring in some good candidates with all the knowledge, experience & contacts that they all have....
    They shouldn’t have any trouble finding a solid list of coaches for the committee to consider. The biggest problem they will have is convincing one of those coaches to actually take the job based on the benefits NMU has to offer.
    "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

• Re: Northern Michigan University Wildcats 2016-17 Season Thread: Gotta Get Up And Try

Good point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by DonorRoomDrinker View Post
        Good point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Some will have interest. Some will not. Some will have interest that is conditional. if NMU (or LSSU, Huntsville or UAA) wants a road map to being competitive with the top of the league, take a look at the two teams playing for the championship tonight. Then do the same things they've done to improve their programs.

Comment

First time posting on here in awhile, but interested in hearing people's thoughts on the coaching search. I think it was a pretty big relief to see Comley on the committee...

I think that in order to sell the right kind of candidate on this committee the university needs to do a much better job selling the program as one with a rich history and good days ahead, instead of a program that is in danger of dying, as the perception on here can sometimes seem.

Looking forward to seeing how this all works out.
          Wildcat Hockey!

B.S. NMU 11'
          M.B.A. Marquette University 13'

Comment

Originally posted by Wildpantswilly View Post
            First time posting on here in awhile, but interested in hearing people's thoughts on the coaching search. I think it was a pretty big relief to see Comley on the committee...

I think that in order to sell the right kind of candidate on this committee the university needs to do a much better job selling the program as one with a rich history and good days ahead, instead of a program that is in danger of dying, as the perception on here can sometimes seem.

Looking forward to seeing how this all works out.
            In my own humble opinion Rick Comley HAD to be on this committee. This program will always be his baby. It'll be interesting to see who joins he and Don Waddell on the committee.

Comment

Anyone heard any candidate rumors?
              Would Ron Rolston be of interest to NMU fans?
              NTDP success similar to current hot candidate Danton Cole.

Comment

• Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                Anyone heard any candidate rumors?
                Would Ron Rolston be of interest to NMU fans?
                NTDP success similar to current hot candidate Danton Cole.
                Rumors are just that. Rumors. Anything you hear at this point is merely speculation. There is some intelligent speculation. There is some that is not.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

IMO, it's very unlikely there would be any announcement prior to the conclusion of the playoffs. Most hiring announcements start mid-to-late April.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    IMO, it's very unlikely there would be any announcement prior to the conclusion of the playoffs. Most hiring announcements start mid-to-late April.
                    The same goes for coaches submitting applications for the position while still playing in the field of 16.

Comment

Has anyone heard anything about former NMU player/assistant coach Morey Gare applying for the NMU job????

Comment

If NMU wants to turn the program around they need to make the financial commitment to get a high caliber, highly experienced coach, Pearson like. I'm wondering if Kyle didn't just become complacent due to the lack of commitment by the university? Sounds like he wasn't very highly compensated. As MTU has learned you've gotta throw some money at it!
                        Last edited by rustedblades; 03-26-2017, 07:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                          If NMU wants to turn the program around they need to make the financial commitment to get a high caliber, highly experienced coach, Pearson like. I'm wondering if Kyle didn't just become complacent due to the lack of commitment by the university? Sounds like he wasn't very highly compensated. As MTU has learned you've gotta throw some money at it!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                          From the University and alumni. Do wish we had a Terry Pegula.
                          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                          Patreon for exclusive writing content
                          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                            It's not just funding a HC position. Gotta go all in.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                              From the University and alumni. Do wish we had a Terry Pegula.
                              Wasn't the CEO of Starbucks an NMU grad? I am sure he has a few bucks to play with.
                              MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
                              2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                                It's not just funding a HC position. Gotta go all in.
                                Yep.

It's going to take a fundamental change to the funding drive the athletic department does, as they see every team as equals. If a donation is made, even if it's earmarked for a specific sport, the funds get deposited into a general fund all sports teams withdraw from. Even if a dedicated financial commitment is granted to the hockey program, would there be an increase in donations with an unknown head coach?

And I think if Howard Schultz had some pocket change that he wanted to give to the hockey program, he would have by now. There have been some silent donations by former players for upgrades in the locker room and other much needed items.
                                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X