Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northern Michigan University Wildcats 2016-17 Season Thread: Gotta Get Up And Try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DonorRoomDrinker View Post
    I was obviously referring to goals scored and not the quality of shots taken.... It was a very close game and could have gone either way.... NMU had us on pins & needles with every pass, shot, hit, line change, etc so it was a very exciting game to listen to on the radio.... I still say NMU not getting a goal during that (5:00) Major penalty was definitely a factor in the game though.... I'm really bummed out that the season is now over as every NMU Hockey game is an event to look forward to when you're a fan like I am so any comments that I make on this forum are with NMU's success in mind and I hope everyone realizes that on here.... I'm already looking forward to next year's team....
    You're a terrific fan. Great to have those who stick with the Cats!
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: Northern Michigan University Wildcats 2016-17 Season Thread: Gotta Get Up And Try

Davyd, any idea what October weekend is the Green Bay series?

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
        - Does anyone know what the capacity of Lakeview was prior to it's remodel in 1999? There is no way the fire marshal looked the other way for 135% attendance.
        4105 in 1998-1999

Comment

• Re: Northern Michigan University Wildcats 2016-17 Season Thread: Gotta Get Up And Try

Originally posted by FloridaCat View Post
          Lakeview arena prior to the expansion in the early '80s was roughly 3200 and after it was roughly 4400. I attended games from 1978 to 1990 and it was full most nights. Exceptions were the first weekend of deer season and Holiday weekends/breaks that were half full.
          Originally posted by potternmu View Post
          4105 in 1998-1999
          Much appreciated to the both of you. I thought there had to be some sort of a bump with how the attendance jumped like it did. I was thinking 110% was more like the capacity with the standing room available at Lakeview. I'll play with the numbers and adjust it accordingly soon.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by NMUFAN View Post
            Davyd, any idea what October weekend is the Green Bay series?
            I don't have the exact dates, but it's normally the first or second weekend of October.

Based upon the WCHA scheduling formula, which would be a reverse of the 2015-16 sechedule, in conference, I'm pretty sure we travel to Fairbanks, Anchorage, Huntsville, Tech (2 home & home series), Mankato, Ferris & Bemidji. Home against Bowling Green, LSSU, Huntsville, Tech, Mankato, Ferris & Fsirbsnks. Non-conference home & home vs LSSU, at Omaha, vs Wisconsin at Green Bay. There will be at least 2 more non-conference games as well.
            Last edited by davyd83; 03-06-2017, 11:09 PM.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              I don't have the exact dates, but it's normally the first or second weekend of October.

Based upon the WCHA scheduling formula, which would be a reverse of the 2015-16 sechedule, in conference, I'm pretty sure we travel to Fairbanks, Anchorage, Huntsville, Tech (2 home & home series), Mankato, Ferris & Bemidji. Home against Bowling Green, LSSU, Huntsville, Tech, Mankato, Ferris & Fsirbsnks. Non-conference home & home vs LSSU, at Omaha, vs Wisconsin at Green Bay. There will be at least 2 more non-conference games as well.
              Thanks! I figured as much regarding the series in Green Bay. It'll be interesting to see if the additional non-conference games will be at home.

Comment

Bump to move Asian spam off first page.

Comment

• Bump
                  RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                    Bump to move Asian spam off first page.
                    RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Shine should've made First Team WCHA IMO.
                      "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

• Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                        Shine should've made First Team WCHA IMO.
                        All conference selection are based on play in conference games only. In WCHA play, Shine was around 15th in scoring. Payne & Craighead both had more points in conference play. 7 of Shine's 20 goals were not in WCHA regular season play.

Comment

Got this email just a few minutes ago from the NMU SID.

WALT KYLE NON-RENEWED

MARQUETTE, Mich. — Director of Athletics Forrest Karr announced a leadership change in the Northern Michigan hockey program Friday afternoon.

Walt Kyle's employment agreement will not be renewed, and a comprehensive national search for the third head coach in program history will begin immediately.

"Walt has played a major role in the most significant moments in Northern Michigan hockey history," said Karr. "I enjoyed working with him, and I am thankful that he always supported every program in the department. I appreciate his work and dedication to the hockey program and wish him well in all future endeavors."

Kyle compiled an overall record of 265-263-68 during 15 seasons at the helm of the program. He guided the Wildcats to six 20-win seasons and to the 2010 NCAA Tournament. He also coached two Hobey Baker finalists and five All-Americans.

Kyle played two seasons at Northern Michigan after transferring from Boston College and recorded 90 points (31g-59a) in 85 career games. He captained the 1980 and 1981 Wildcat teams that advanced to the NCAA Frozen Four.

After graduating from Northern Michigan in 1981 with a bachelor's degree in physical education, Kyle became a graduate assistant coach under Rick Comley. He was promoted to assistant coach in 1982 and held that position until 1992. He was the top assistant coach when the Wildcats won the 1991 NCAA Division I national title.
                          Last edited by Andrew J Carter; 03-10-2017, 11:22 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew J Carter View Post
                            Got this email just a few minutes ago from the NMU SID.

WALT KYLE NON-RENEWED

MARQUETTE, Mich. — Director of Athletics Forrest Karr announced a leadership change in the Northern Michigan hockey program Friday afternoon.

Walt Kyle's employment agreement will not be renewed, and a comprehensive national search for the third head coach in program history will begin immediately.

"Walt has played a major role in the most significant moments in Northern Michigan hockey history," said Karr. "I enjoyed working with him, and I am thankful that he always supported every program in the department. I appreciate his work and dedication to the hockey program and wish him well in all future endeavors."

Kyle compiled an overall record of 265-263-68 during 15 seasons at the helm of the program. He guided the Wildcats to six 20-win seasons and to the 2010 NCAA Tournament. He also coached two Hobey Baker finalists and five All-Americans.

Kyle played two seasons at Northern Michigan after transferring from Boston College and recorded 90 points (31g-59a) in 85 career games. He captained the 1980 and 1981 Wildcat teams that advanced to the NCAA Frozen Four.

After graduating from Northern Michigan in 1981 with a bachelor's degree in physical education, Kyle became a graduate assistant coach under Rick Comley. He was promoted to assistant coach in 1982 and held that position until 1992. He was the top assistant coach when the Wildcats won the 1991 NCAA Division I national title.
                            Let the healing begin in Marquette and at NMU. It was pretty clear that the community lost both trust in the leadership and direction of the program. Hopefully a youth infusion occurs and the rebuilding doesn't resemble that of which occurred at Tech, over a 30 year span...

Comment

Originally posted by MOJO View Post
                              Let the healing begin in Marquette and at NMU. It was pretty clear that the community lost both trust in the leadership and direction of the program. Hopefully a youth infusion occurs and the rebuilding doesn't resemble that of which occurred at Tech, over a 30 year span...
                              If NMU does not bother to begin to treat it's hockey program like a true D1 contender, you can expect to see similar results to Tech post John MacInnes. It's no coincidence their resurgence began with a big financial boost from the school and alumni.

Comment

• Originally posted by NMUFAN View Post
                                If NMU does not bother to begin to treat it's hockey program like a true D1 contender, you can expect to see similar results to Tech post John MacInnes. It's no coincidence their resurgence began with a big financial boost from the school and alumni.
                                Lot of echoes of this sentiment from the national college hockey beat writers today.
                                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X