Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northern Michigan University Wildcats 2016-17 Season Thread: Gotta Get Up And Try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northern Michigan University Wildcats 2016-17 Season Thread: Gotta Get Up And Try

Once again... my vote for new coach: http://athletics.uwsp.edu/staff.aspx?staff=164
    Go Cats!

Comment

• Re: Northern Michigan University Wildcats 2016-17 Season Thread: Gotta Get Up And Try

https://abc10up.com/2017/03/10/man-a...ery-and-fraud/

MARQUETTE — The former head coach for Northern Michigan University’s hockey team was arrested in connection to a fraud and forgery incident.

Deputies from the Marquette County Sheriff’s Office say Walter Edwin Kyle, 53, was arrested and charged with one count of residential mortgage fraud $100,000 or less and one count of forgery of documents affecting real property.

Marquette County Sherrif Greg Zyburt confirmed with ABC 10 that Kyle is the former head hockey coach at NMU. The university announced early Friday that his contract would not be renewed.

His arrest stems from an eleven month investigation conducted by the department into an incident in which deputies allege that Kyle committed fraud and forgery when obtaining a mortgage from River Valley Bank back in 2014. Kyle has since posted bond and was released from jail. He will be arraigned on April 3 in Marquette County District Court.
      CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Clarification of the Walt Kyle arrest situation????

March 10th, 2017

MARQUETTE, MI - The Marquette County Sheriff's Office has confirmed former Northern Michigan University hockey coach Walt Kyle has been arrested on fraud charges.

Officials say Kyle was arrested and charged with one count of residential mortgage fraud and one count of forgery of documents.

According to the sheriff's office, the investigation involves a mortgage Kyle took out at River Valley Bank. The charges are 15 year and 14 year felonies. Kyle has been released on bond.

Kyle's attorney, George Hyde, issued the following statement Friday night:

"These charges against my client, Mr. Walt Kyle, are extremely unfortunate and a prime example of misunderstanding and misrepresentation of the facts.

The facts are the following: while married to his former wife, his former wife granted him a general power of attorney on her behalf, which authorized him to sign her name on her behalf on any financial documents. While still married, Mr. Kyle and his then wife, Ann Kyle, jointly decided to refinance an existing bank loan in order to complete certain home repairs. Mr. Kyle did nothing more than sign his wife's name to the loan documents, with his wife's full knowledge and consent. The home repairs were completed while Mr. Kyle and Ann Kyle were still married.

During subsequent divorce proceedings, Ann Kyle sought to avoid responsibility for the loans by falsely claiming no knowledge of them. That didn't work, and the judge in the divorce correctly determined that the loan was a joint debt. This loan was paid in full during the divorce proceedings.

Undeterred, Ann Kyle has since convinced a local sheriff deputy to seek charges against Mr. Kyle, despite the existence of the valid power of attorney that Ann Kyle had granted her husband.

The bottom line is this: Mr. Walt Kyle did nothing wrong and broke no laws whatsoever. These charges are the unfortunate result of his former wife's campaign to disparage him, which is ironic given her criminal behavior during their divorce proceedings that until now Mr. Kyle has been reluctant to report to the authorities.

Mr. Kyle is entirely innocent."

Comment

Today is a turning point for the NMU program. 25 years from now, people will look back at today as the day when the school made a move to steer the hockey program in a direction where it can be led to greatness and dignity. I'm still holding out hope that we can land Oystrick as our coach.

Comment

NMU should be shooting at the Stars, hopefully a big name coach does the same for funding as what Coach Pearson did for the Huskies.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
              NMU should be shooting at the Stars, hopefully a big name coach does the same for funding as what Coach Pearson did for the Huskies.
              You have it slightly in reverse. Tech needed a guarantee of funding BEFORE tMEL would agree to show up. I don't mean his salary either.

Comment

• Honest question if someone could kindly answer for me. What are the odds Jim Hiller would show any interest in the job? I know it's a long shot. It was just a name that popped up for me today. Obviously working under Babcock can't be the worst thing in the world.

Comment

• Originally posted by NMU Fan View Post
                  Honest question if someone could kindly answer for me. What are the odds Jim Hiller would show any interest in the job? I know it's a long shot. It was just a name that popped up for me today. Obviously working under Babcock can't be the worst thing in the world.
                  He'd take a large pay cut. And he wants to be an NHL Head Coach. If Toronto continues to rise, he'll be getting head coach looks in a couple years.
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

This is unknown territory that the hockey program is headed through. May the past schools who have navigated this path prior (MTU, BGSU, Notre Dame) or are still navigating through it (LSSU, UAA) act as the "canary in the mine shaft" to direct the University on how to proceed.

RPI, although a tiny specialized engineering school in New York, is currently along side us in these same troubled waters. Concern can be heard from them on how to proceed: Troy Record: Coaching change not enough to revive RPI hockey.

Please Forrest Kart and the Board of Trustees; please take heed, and progress wisely, fully prepared to support this program as it should be.
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

The position has been posted by NMU.
                      https://employme.nmu.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/position/JobDetails_css.jsp?postingId=144614
                      Provide a brief statement of the position duties:
                      Direct, organize, coach and administer the hockey program.

Required Education:
                      Bachelor's Degree

Required Specialized Training/Certifications:
                      NCAA Coaches Certification (Recruiting) Test or ability to pass within four weeks of hire.
                      Possess a current CPR/First Aid certification or have the ability to obtain upon hire.

Required Minimum Work Experience: Demonstrated hockey coaching experience as a head coach or an assistant coach at the NCAA Division I or III level or comparable coaching experience (e.g., experience with a tier I or tier II junior program, major junior program, or minor league professional team, etc.).

Knowledge, skills, abilities or attributes required:
                      Understanding of NCAA bylaws. Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.

More corporate buzzword bullsh** for additional knowlege, skills, and abilities.

Expertise with video editing systems.
                      Ability to work effectively under stressful and high-pressure situations.

Additional Desirable Qualifications: Master's Degree or comparable advanced degree. Intercollegiate hockey playing experience.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                        This is unknown territory that the hockey program is headed through. May the past schools who have navigated this path prior (MTU, BGSU, Notre Dame) or are still navigating through it (LSSU, UAA) act as the "canary in the mine shaft" to direct the University on how to proceed.

RPI, although a tiny specialized engineering school in New York, is currently along side us in these same troubled waters. Concern can be heard from them on how to proceed: Troy Record: Coaching change not enough to revive RPI hockey.
                        Please Forrest Kart and the Board of Trustees; please take heed, and progress wisely, fully prepared to support this program as it should be.
                        A smaller school yes but still 7k plus students and an alumni base that has some serious cash. The other sports all D3 except for the women's hockey team D1.

Is their old barn OLD? YES very much but do they need a NEW place to win. I don't buy it and I base that on old Lakeview among other places, I mean look at the Mac, same old place, very well kept and updated. Not sure what RPI funding is but the money is out there for them if they know how to get it. I know details on their updates, been there very recently. They did do a great job on their ECAV, spent that money well but that was a decade ago, though you couldn't tell it was that long ago based on how it looks.

The article sounds more like an apology for the coach. They had some serious issues with some of their players and not sure it was handled the best way. Seth may be a great coach but the alumni were knocking on the door.

Face it each school that has increased their success has increased their funding. For some that was easy and some it will not be. Just changing coaches is not the answer, and whether Walt deserved more time is another story. You can argue just as the writer argued that RPI was looking better toward the end so were the Cats. Both coaches had been there a while under .500 records, and maybe just needed a change. We will soon see.

RPI did hire a search committee, not sure their full role but started there. Have not heard what the NMU plans are besides a nationwide search.

Comment

"Tiny"? Their enrollment is just a bit smaller than MTU, and they are more selective due to location differences.

Comment

Jesus people.

Anyway, and now there were four vacancies:
                            Niagara, Northern Michigan, Rensselaer and most recently Omaha.

Eyes have turned toward Maine and Michigan as the next potential head coaching openings.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Anyway, and now there were four vacancies:
                              Niagara, Northern Michigan, Rensselaer and most recently Omaha.
                              Hey if you're happy with being average go after Dean and see if he wants to work some more. He did a great job at UND when he had all the talent in the world at his disposal and a program with money to burn. However he was barely average at UNO and ultimately went out in a "Blais of mediocrity" finishing a combined 4 games over 0.500 in his last five seasons. Sometimes the coach makes the program better and sometimes the program makes the coach look better. I think Blais at UND is the later of the two options.
                              Ryan J
                              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                              Originally posted by geezer
                              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                              Originally posted by manurespreader
                              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                                Hey if you're happy with being average go after Dean and see if he wants to work some more. He did a great job at UND when he had all the talent in the world at his disposal and a program with money to burn. However he was barely average at UNO and ultimately went out in a "Blais of mediocrity" finishing a combined 4 games over 0.500 in his last five seasons. Sometimes the coach makes the program better and sometimes the program makes the coach look better. I think Blais at UND is the later of the two options.
                                Ryan J
                                BUT BUT BUT I thought UNO was a like minded school, do they not fund things up to par?

Comment

Working...
                                X