Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northern Michigan University Wildcats 2016-17 Season Thread: Gotta Get Up And Try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northern Michigan University Wildcats 2016-17 Season Thread: Gotta Get Up And Try

Tolvanen's shutout streak reaches 155:49 in his second consecutive shutout. NMU is finding a groove.

Comment

• Re: Northern Michigan University Wildcats 2016-17 Season Thread: Gotta Get Up And Try

A good (3-0) win for NMU tonite at Bowling Green.... Another shutout for Tolvanen.... NMU is now (8-17-4) with (7) games left.... Bowling Green (14-16-2) outshot NMU (35 to 23)....

Comment

• Originally posted by DonorRoomDrinker View Post
        A good (3-0) win for NMU tonite at Bowling Green.... Another shutout for Tolvanen.... NMU is now (8-17-4) with (7) games left.... Bowling Green (14-16-2) outshot NMU (35 to 23)....
        Shots 35-23, scoring chances 17-16. Very solid effort from NMU. Tolvanen was outstanding coming up with big saves when the Cats needed them. NMU played very well with the lead in the 3rd period, doing a good job protecting the puck, minimizing turnovers and forcing BG to go 200 feet for chances. They also limited BG to only 2 or 3 scoring opportunities in the 3rd.
        Last edited by davyd83; 02-04-2017, 09:17 AM.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Anyone know how the Bowling Green video feed is? Would like to watch the game tonight and would be my first time taking a shot at WCHA.tv. Is it worth the daily pass?

Comment

• Nice shutout Cats!
            Go Cats!

Comment

NMU Soph Goalie Atte Tolvanen (6'0" 190lbs) has only given up (3) goals in the last (5) games:

NMU 1 LSSU 1
              NMU 1 LSSU 1
              NMU 6 Alaska-Anchorage 1
              NMU 4 Alaska-Anchorage 0
              NMU 3 Bowling Green 0

Comment

Another great win for NMU tonite at Bowling Green (2-0) - Tolvanen gets his 3rd straight shutout with (40) saves.... NMU was outshot (40-20).... NMU is now (9-17-4) with (6) regular season games left.... NMU is now (5-0-2) in last (7) games.... UAF @ NMU next weekend....

Comment

Well, it's official, Atte Tolvanene is the new school consecutive shutout record holder at 215:49, and counting.

This erases any questions I had at the bad math in Hoey's record and Dahlstrom's attempt. Which, by my math Hoey's record was miscounted and should have been 157:37, and Dahlstrom's record should have been 169:13.
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I don't recall NMU having a road shutout sweep. This might be a first as well as the three consecutive game shutout.

Potternmu, were you at any of the games this weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN View Post
                      I don't recall NMU having a road shutout sweep. This might be a first as well as the three consecutive game shutout.

Potternmu, were you at any of the games this weekend?
                      I was at both. Good solid weekend of hockey. Predictably, BG came out blazing Saturday night after taking it on the chin Friday. I thought NMU weathered the storm very well for the first 10 minutes of Saturday. Offensively, it pretty much came down to one NMU skater being left uncovered near the crease that led to the winning goal. Tolvanen looked outstanding, including a mind-blowing save where he was lying on the ice and flashed his glove straight up to snag a shot that was surely going in. I still don't know how he saw that. BG looked snake-bitten all night. NMU's 3rd period defense both nights - but particularly Friday - reminded me of the Ron Mason teams of the late 90s where they would get a 1 or 2 goal lead and then lock down the other team's offense. Northern was really able to take the crowd out of the game and I was really impressed with how the NMU bench was so into the game - banging sticks on the boards during good plays, lots of chatter toward the players on the ice (which I could hear across the rink). This certainly looks like a team that realizes it may have its best hockey left to play. I wouldn't want to be Alaska, MSU, Tech, or their first-round opponent right now.

Comment

NMU Goalie Atte Tolvanen's younger brother Forward Eeli Tolvanen (6'0" 175lbs) is currently playing for the USHL Sioux City Musketeers and has given a verbal commitment to play at Boston College for the 2017-18 season.... Eeli Tolvanen is also projected to be a 1st Round Draft pick in the upcoming 2017 NHL Draft.... Too bad he didn't want to play at NMU with his brother Atte!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN View Post
                          Correct. On both accounts.

It's the first three consecutive game shutout streak of any opponents in school history.

It's the first road weekend winning shutout sweep in school history.

It's the fourth weekend winning shutout sweep in school history:
                          - 1999-2000: October 8, 9: Home/Away weekend with MTU. 9-0, 3-0 Wins.
                          - 2003-2004: December 5, 6: Home/Away weekend with LSSU. 3-0, 3-0 Wins.
                          - 2013-2014: November 22, 23: Home weekend with UAH. 3-0, 4-0 Wins.

It's the eighth back-to-back winning shutout in school history.
                          (The above three weekends plus)
                          - 2002-2003: November 2 Home versus LSSU 3-0 W, November 8 Home versus WMU 5-0 W
                          - 2007-2008: February 9 Home versus MSU 3-0 W, February 15 Away at OSU 2-0 W
                          - 2014-2015: November 8 Home versus FSU 2-0 W, November 21 Away at UAA 1-0 W
                          - 2016-2017: January 21, Home versus UAA 4-0 W, February 3 Away at BGSU 2-0 W

NMU has also been skunked in back-to-back games just twice in school history. Both times happened on the same weekend versus the same opponent:
                          - 1995-1996: January 26, 27: Away weekend with U of Minnesota. 0-10 L, 0-7 L
                          - 2016-2017: October 14, 15: Home weekend with BSU. 0-2 L, 0-2 L

But what do I know. I apparently was the only one to even think of double checking the math on Hoey and Dahlstrom's records.
                          Last edited by aparch; 02-05-2017, 01:49 PM. Reason: Grammar is difficult apparently. And so is math.
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Alaska-Fairbanks (9-16-3) @ NMU (9-17-4) this weekend in WCHA Hockey from Marquette.... Tolvanen & NMU have been on a roll lately.... Any thoughts on this series????

Comment

• Originally posted by DonorRoomDrinker View Post
                              Alaska-Fairbanks (9-16-3) @ NMU (9-17-4) this weekend in WCHA Hockey from Marquette.... Tolvanen & NMU have been on a roll lately.... Any thoughts on this series????
                              NMU now controls their own playoff destiny. If the have a good weekend they could make a very significant leap. Go Cats.
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

NMU 2016-17 Remaining Regular Season Games

Feb. 10th - UAF @ NMU
                                Feb. 11th - UAF @ NMU
                                Feb. 17th - NMU @ Minnesota-Mankato
                                Feb. 18th - NMU @ Minnesota-Mankato
                                Feb. 24th - MTU @ NMU
                                Feb. 25th - NMU @ MTU

Comment

Working...
                                X