X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016-2017 WCHA Season Thread

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    The Sun Belt of college hockey
    *MWC, one or so team goes to the big boys tournament. Has the potential to have three teams doing very well, but OOC games kill. I posted last off-season of NCAA CFB conferences and they're equivalent in College Hockey. Didn't go well, even though they are now both the same, money talks.
    Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
      *MWC, one or so team goes to the big boys tournament. Has the potential to have three teams doing very well, but OOC games kill. I posted last off-season of NCAA CFB conferences and they're equivalent in College Hockey. Didn't go well, even though they are now both the same, money talks.
      B1G is B1G
      Hockey East is SEC
      PAC 12 is NCHC
      ACC is ECAC
      MWC is WCHA
      AAC is AHA

Follow the money. Long run, B1G and Hockey East have the schools that command the most attention on the national sports landscape. NCHC is a strong hockey conference but has no schools that move the needle nationally.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

As you note, where this really becomes an issue is recruiting. Try to sell a high level recruit with, "Hey, you should come play in a conference where nobody scores, and the style of play -while frustrating and physically taxing- won't prepare you for anything at any other level. You ready to sign up?
        Going forward this is BG's biggest issue. They are not the most offensively gifted team around, truthfully BG has no pure scorers, not one. However, they do have enough talent on the back end and in goal. They just need to find a couple of guys with real scoring ability. I know Bowling Green, same as the rest of the league, is at a disadvantage for these guys as they all want to go to better leagues, with bigger name programs and newer facilities.

BGSU needs a couple of guys that can score on their own. A couple of guys that can take the team on their back and create their own chances......the rest of the foundation is there.

That's the only way for BG, and pretty much the WCHA as a whole, to get out of this 2-3 year middling ground we have been bogged down in.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
          B1G is B1G
          Hockey East is SEC
          PAC 12 is NCHC
          ACC is ECAC
          MWC is WCHA
          AAC is AHA
          Sounds like what I posted.
          Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Well maybe I'm wrong but we do have in this league a few advantages.
            We have really, really good coaching. There are good coaches everywhere of course, but ours are especially good. We are maybe the best as a whole in developing players. Look at Mike Corbett. He started with basically nothing. Guys were leaving left and right. Even the other coaches were leaving. But look what he's got now. His guys compete. His guys work as hard as any team in hockey and they played very competitive non con games. He has a few scorers, his goaltending is top notch.
            Or Mankato, they compete with anyone, they get good recruits, Hastings is well respected for how his guys play. I'm not seeing those guys as sub par to any other league any where. this year they were slightly down, but this is college hockey, there's a lot of parity. I mean Holy Cross beat Minnesota, remember?

At Tech, Coach Pearson is really good at developing guys. No we don't get jack Eichel, or Dylin Larkin, but we get good guys who compete and who develop. Would we like to get a great talent, sure, and I think we have been close a time or two, but still we find way to improve guys. Looking at talent alone, BU should have run away from everyone, but they keep losing and lost to Notre Dame last week, so talent isn't everything here.
            My only complaint is that we play the NCHC too much.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Ditto on the coaching, but let's not forget about Dallas Ferguson with the Alaska Nanooks. 20 underclassmen and 12 freshman. Picked dead last by coaches and eighth by media, this team placed sixth overall and had an outside chance at fourth or fifth.

That with an administration blunder a few years back that caused NCAA infractions, and an Alaska budget so thin that both Fairbanks and Anchorage programs were on the chopping block...

But coach Ferguson continued with the "glass half full as opposed to empty" and continues to do amazing things on a shoe string budget that changes daily...

aka you can make it big time in Fairbanks...ask Chad Johnson/Calgary and Colton Parayko/St Louis

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                B1G is B1G
                Hockey East is SEC
                PAC 12 is NCHC
                ACC is ECAC
                MWC is WCHA
                AAC is AHA

Follow the money. Long run, B1G and Hockey East have the schools that command the most attention on the national sports landscape. NCHC is a strong hockey conference but has no schools that move the needle nationally.
                NO schools? I think at least one school -and Pierre McGuire- would disagree with that.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  Well maybe I'm wrong but we do have in this league a few advantages.
                  We have really, really good coaching. There are good coaches everywhere of course, but ours are especially good. We are maybe the best as a whole in developing players. Look at Mike Corbett. He started with basically nothing. Guys were leaving left and right. Even the other coaches were leaving. But look what he's got now. His guys compete. His guys work as hard as any team in hockey and they played very competitive non con games. He has a few scorers, his goaltending is top notch.
                  Or Mankato, they compete with anyone, they get good recruits, Hastings is well respected for how his guys play. I'm not seeing those guys as sub par to any other league any where. this year they were slightly down, but this is college hockey, there's a lot of parity. I mean Holy Cross beat Minnesota, remember?

At Tech, Coach Pearson is really good at developing guys. No we don't get jack Eichel, or Dylin Larkin, but we get good guys who compete and who develop. Would we like to get a great talent, sure, and I think we have been close a time or two, but still we find way to improve guys. Looking at talent alone, BU should have run away from everyone, but they keep losing and lost to Notre Dame last week, so talent isn't everything here.
                  My only complaint is that we play the NCHC too much.
                  I agree with this. Certainly we have good coaches and we develop players, but every year that we have to settle for lesser talent, we move closer to AHA and further from ECAC/NCHC. The Bi6 has little to no goaltending/defense, some marginal coaching (Anastos, and that 98 year-old guy who can't win even though he recruits half the US Development program every year), but still gets top end offensive talent every year, and then showcases that talent with a wide-open, high scoring style. If we can open up the game in our conference, we can sell ourselves a little easier, especially given that the NHL is moving quickly toward a faster, less physical style.

Comment

Bump to get all the Asian spam off the front page.

Comment

• Mason Mitchell signs with Wash.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/wcha/2017/3/2/14792508/alaska-anchorages-mason-mitchell-signs-with-washington-capitals

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                        Bump to get all the Asian spam off the front page.

Mmmmmm...Asian Spam!

Comment

If you didn't know, there's a playoff thread: http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...-Ice-Advantage

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by UP-Power View Post
                            Should help with recruiting, at least we're first in something.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                              If you didn't know, there's a playoff thread: http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...-Ice-Advantage

GFM
                              Doesn't season encompass the playoffs? Bet ya, half a bitcoin I don't own.

Comment

I agree ... just passing the word on. I was a little surprised that this topic had gone quiet.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X