• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016-2017 WCHA Season Thread

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    BSU: 45, 30, 25, 18 (12 youth)
    Mankato: 16 (8 youth)
    Looks like there may be some wiggle room for BSU, especially at the upper end.
    This is kind of shocking to me. I guess, a two hour drive makes a big difference. I think if anyone ever offered to pay $45 per ticket to watch a Tech hockey game, they would prob let you sit in the player's bench for that price, maybe even hold the coach's dry erase board.
    Ryan
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
      This is kind of shocking to me. I guess, a two hour drive makes a big difference. I think if anyone ever offered to pay $45 per ticket to watch a Tech hockey game, they would prob let you sit in the player's bench for that price, maybe even hold the coach's dry erase board.
      Ryan
      to be fair, the $45 tickets are club level...
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        Yeah... but it is still BSU on the ice, not the Wild.

Ryan J

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          This weekend against Ferris, you can have all you can eat BBQ in the Club Level with your $55 ticket (yes, $55)......... You still have to pay for your beverages, you just have a bigger selection of the adult beverages in Club.

Edit: The Beavers unveiled a whole new ticket scheme for the playoff push. Youth tickets for all remaining regular season home games are $7, adult tickets for all remaining regular season FRIDAY games (not Saturday) are $16, and $55 will get you into the club level for all remaining home games with an all you can eat buffet (drinks extra).

It's a start, I guess.
          Last edited by beaverhockeyfan; 01-19-2017, 08:28 AM.
          Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
          FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
          NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
          NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
          NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
          NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
          Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
            That's completely unfair. That model had a wide band for nominal error. Polling is always a fraught enterprise, and the main way to make it better — throwing more money at it to increase the sample size —*has all sorts of associated problems. FiveThirtyEight got the primaries wrong but stuck to the numbers for the general. Any statistical model is only as good as its inputs, and while the national models were pretty on, the state models were not

GFM
            It's not "completely" unfair, at worst it's "somewhat" unfair. As an avid reader of both 538 and Signal/noise it's safe to say I was commenting on Nate the celebrity, not Nate the statistician.

Would appreciate Friday updates to your model. I'm interested in seeing how the probabilities change when scenarios are removed based on outcomes.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
              Ryan
              2 hour drive from where? Bemidji is the middle of nowhere. 2 hours of driving only puts you in the suburbs of nowhere.

Comment

That's completely unfair. That model had a wide band for nominal error. Polling is always a fraught enterprise, and the main way to make it better — throwing more money at it to increase the sample size —*has all sorts of associated problems. FiveThirtyEight got the primaries wrong but stuck to the numbers for the general. Any statistical model is only as good as its inputs, and while the national models were pretty on, the state models were not.

GFM
                Wasn't his issues with the primaries that he didn't trust the numbers coming in regarding Trump and just dismissed them? I thought I saw him admit to it or something similar during one of his stream-of-consciousness Twitter moment.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                  Wasn't his issues with the primaries that he didn't trust the numbers coming in regarding Trump and just dismissed them? I thought I saw him admit to it or something similar during one of his stream-of-consciousness Twitter moment.
                  i'm sorry I brought it up. I was also thinking that we suffered disproportionately because we play too many games vs the NCHC and it affects our OOC record more than any other conference. Maybe we can get our wonderful commish to do two things for us. 1. lobby the schools to schedule more games with non niche teams, and 2), pay the refs more so we can get a bit better quality, or at least do more clinics and training for the ones we have. They are not uniform enough and week to week you don't know what will be called.
                  I know some of these guys are real young and trying their best, but we have to have more uniformity.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                    2 hour drive from where? Bemidji is the middle of nowhere. 2 hours of driving only puts you in the suburbs of nowhere.
                    Most WCHA schools could be classified as middle of nowhere.
                    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                      Most WCHA schools could be classified as NORTH of nowhere.
                      I corrected that for you.
                      Ryan J

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                        A two-hour drive from Bemidji in three different directions lands you at another school with a D-1 hockey program, none of which are in Bemidji State's conference.
                        Originally posted by dicaslover
                        Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                        Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                          A two-hour drive from Bemidji in three different directions lands you at another school with a D-1 hockey program, none of which are in Bemidji State's conference.
                          I think the point of the joke was 2 hours (definitely a little short) to the south and west of MTU and ticket prices go way up (at UMD, SCSU, BSU, UW, MN, & UND) And other than MSU, I'm guessing they stay that way with ND and UNO as well.
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I did the math last week, and it wasn't possible then. http://blog.wchaplayoffs.com/2017/01...below-ratings/, second paragraph.

I don't think that Bemidji has clinched it, but I want to spend a little bit with the problem to be sure.

GFM
                            Bemidji clinched a playoff spot on 12/31 as correctly reported by BSU and WCHA. No need (or use) to look at specific teams that could catch them.

BSU reached 46 points on 12/31, so the only way they finish 9th at that point is if 8 other teams also have 46 points (at a minimum). That's 9x46 = 414 points. But NMU already had 7 points as of 12/31, so that's 421 total required to create a 9-way tie for 1st (at 46 pts) and then have NMU in 10th at 7 pts.

However there are only 420 total points available in the entirety of the league schedule. Therefore as of 12/31 it was assured that the 9th place team could have a maximum of 45 points, and it was therefore also assured that BSU (with 46 in the bank) could finish no lower than 8th. QED.
                            Last edited by x1g27s; 01-19-2017, 10:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by x1g27s View Post
                              Bemidji clinched a playoff spot on 12/31 as correctly reported by BSU and WCHA. No need (or use) to look at specific teams that could catch them.

BSU reached 46 points on 12/31, so the only way they finish 9th at that point is if 8 other teams also have 46 points (at a minimum). That's 9x46 = 414 points. But NMU already had 7 points as of 12/31, so that's 421 total required to create a 9-way tie for 1st (at 46 pts) and then have NMU in 10th at 7 pts.

However there are only 420 total points available in the entirety of the league schedule. Therefore as of 12/31 it was assured that the 9th place team could have a maximum of 45 points, and it was therefore also assured that BSU (with 46 in the bank) could finish no lower than 8th. QED.
                              Also of note, 47 points will ALWAYS make the playoffs. 9x47 = 423. So highest possible point value for 9th place team (before season starts) is 46. Get to 47, and you are 8th or better every time.

Comment

Originally posted by x1g27s View Post

I hadn't considered it from the zero-sum perspective. Thanks for providing that update!

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X