Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 320 of 541

Thread: 2016-2017 WCHA Season Thread

  1. #301
    Coach Emeritus
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Enjoying the arrival of the Broadmoor Trophy in 2017
    Posts
    2,563

    Re: 2016-2017 WCHA Season Thread

    In this week's edition of "Chuckleheads With No Clue", the Tuesday Morning Quarterback writers once again lead the way.

    "Yes, there are games this weekend (and a heckuva home-and-home between No. 1 Minnesota-Duluth and No. 15 Minnesota State), but we will miss hockey for days after that."

    Considering the series is actually between UMD and Bemidji, I really really wish one of them would show up at the Verizon Wireless Center and be really puzzled.

  2. #302
    beaverhockeyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Garfield and Bemidji State, MN
    Posts
    3,750

    Re: 2016-2017 WCHA Season Thread

    WOW??? Princeton 6, Mankato 1......

  3. #303
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,012

    Re: 2016-2017 WCHA Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    WOW??? Princeton 6, Mankato 1......
    Tigers have been on a tear since plying BSU.

  4. #304
    beaverhockeyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Garfield and Bemidji State, MN
    Posts
    3,750

    Re: 2016-2017 WCHA Season Thread

    Usually UND goes on a tear after playing BSU. This year it is Princeton.

    After two periods in Duluth, BSU leads UMD 1-0!

  5. #305
    Shadetree Quantum Mechanic
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    BG's Backyard
    Posts
    48

    Re: 2016-2017 WCHA Season Thread

    I'd really rather not send the MacNaughton to New Jersey this year, guys...

  6. #306
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    24,634

    Re: 2016-2017 WCHA Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    WOW??? Princeton 6, Mankato 1......


    We're a one-bid league.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  7. #307
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,012

    Re: 2016-2017 WCHA Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

    We're a one-bid league.
    Still not necessarily true, both MTU and BSU still have a shot at autobid.

  8. #308
    beaverhockeyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Garfield and Bemidji State, MN
    Posts
    3,750

    Re: 2016-2017 WCHA Season Thread

    BSU 1, Duluth 1, BSU "wins" during the 3 on 3 OT. Goes as a tie for NCAA purposes.....

  9. #309
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    94

    Re: 2016-2017 WCHA Season Thread

    Still not necessarily true, both MTU and BSU still have a shot at autobid.
    I just don't see how that is possible.......any wins Tech gets against UM, Western or ND will just be cancelled out by playing 6 games against Anchorage, Huntsville and Northern, who are 3 of the 8 WORST teams in D1. If they even tie one of those games they are complete toast as well. BSU's got a slightly better chance, but BG being so disappointing is not going to help and they also have Huntsville and Anchorage.

    Unfortunately the WCHA is just not very good, and that pains me to say as much as anyone as I was really hoping the league would step it up this year.

    I also watched the BSU game and Duluth was the better team, Bitzer kept it close, the teams were really not that close in talent....sad to say for the league.

  10. #310
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    94

    Re: 2016-2017 WCHA Season Thread

    ........and then BG goes and loses to Fairbanks....smh....pathetic.

    BG is just a train wreck....we've almost single handedly killed the WCHA with our pathetic non-league start and now losing to bottom 7 in the country teams........ugh.

    Bergeron just can't seem to get this team over the hump whhere they play hard every night.....been this way for 3 years now.

  11. #311
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    211

    Re: 2016-2017 WCHA Season Thread

    Ugly ending in Fairbanks with a hit to the head at the buzzer to Nanook defenseman Zach Frye...83 minutes of penalties at 20:00 when it was sorted out...Player or players may sit tomorrow via WCHA suspension?

  12. #312
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Weston
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
    Ugly ending in Fairbanks with a hit to the head at the buzzer to Nanook defenseman Zach Frye...83 minutes of penalties at 20:00 when it was sorted out...Player or players may sit tomorrow via WCHA suspension?
    It wasn't a hit to the head. My first impression, from the live feed, was "there's no way he hit him that hard." Looked like a glancing blow with the elbow mid back and the player just fell into the boards. Spezia is a short guy. Alaska player had his head down near the boards. I don't think he's physically tall enough to hit him in the head in that position. But, I haven't watched the replay.

  13. #313
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,012

    Re: 2016-2017 WCHA Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bravohankins View Post
    I just don't see how that is possible.......any wins Tech gets against UM, Western or ND will just be cancelled out by playing 6 games against Anchorage, Huntsville and Northern, who are 3 of the 8 WORST teams in D1. If they even tie one of those games they are complete toast as well. BSU's got a slightly better chance, but BG being so disappointing is not going to help and they also have Huntsville and Anchorage.

    Unfortunately the WCHA is just not very good, and that pains me to say as much as anyone as I was really hoping the league would step it up this year.

    I also watched the BSU game and Duluth was the better team, Bitzer kept it close, the teams were really not that close in talent....sad to say for the league.
    all it takes is BSU or MTU dominating the rest of their season and winning most/all their non-conference and then losing tot the other in the WCHA championship game to get 2 in...if they both go 0-3/0-4 in their remaining NC, sure neither will get an at large but right now, both still could.

  14. #314
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    120

    Re: 2016-2017 WCHA Season Thread

    Here's a clip from the aftermath of the BGSU/UAF game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sImmhOguP7Q

    Bad hit from Spezia, and an equally bad check by Basara skating in afterwards.

  15. #315
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    24,634

    Re: 2016-2017 WCHA Season Thread

    Basara and Spezia should sit multiple games. That retaliatory hit was arguably even sh*ttier than the one that caused the scrum. If you're gonna retaliate, you'd better challenge your guy face-to-face.

    I do love the UAF goalie jumping in though, that is pretty funny.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  16. #316
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Weston
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by BGDrew View Post
    Here's a clip from the aftermath of the BGSU/UAF game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sImmhOguP7Q

    Bad hit from Spezia, and an equally bad check by Basara skating in afterwards.
    The hit from Spezia is on a player who knew he was being pursued, stopped, turned towards the boards and put his head down.

  17. #317
    gfmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Madison, AL, USA
    Posts
    7,510

    Re: 2016-2017 WCHA Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bravohankins View Post
    I just don't see how that is possible.......any wins Tech gets against UM, Western or ND will just be cancelled out by playing 6 games against Anchorage, Huntsville and Northern, who are 3 of the 8 WORST teams in D1. If they even tie one of those games they are complete toast as well. BSU's got a slightly better chance, but BG being so disappointing is not going to help and they also have Huntsville and Anchorage.

    Unfortunately the WCHA is just not very good, and that pains me to say as much as anyone as I was really hoping the league would step it up this year.

    I also watched the BSU game and Duluth was the better team, Bitzer kept it close, the teams were really not that close in talent....sad to say for the league.
    I want to be sure that I understand your standard here in the bolded statement: this is by PWR, right? It's important to note that UAH is 0-4-0 in OOC, with bad losses to St. Cloud (okay, I can live with that) and Connecticut (I blew my top). If your argument is that UAH is a bad team, I'll agree with it — my measure has them as a below-average team in the WCHA, which seems to be a below-average league at the moment. That said, BG and UAH are tied at third in the league standings, so ... what does that really say about all of us?

    I don't think that you can really treat PWR as a fully informative rating system until early February. UAH has played 20 games (!) so far, and Harvard has played 11. It's a ranking system and not a rating one. Princeton is tied for 24th in PWR —*does anyone think that they'll stay there?

    Quote Originally Posted by BGDrew View Post
    Here's a clip from the aftermath of the BGSU/UAF game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sImmhOguP7Q

    Bad hit from Spezia, and an equally bad check by Basara skating in afterwards.
    I'd sure know that Baylis was saying while face masking that Nanook. I think Jenks wanted to fight Nell, but he was on the bench.

    GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

  18. #318
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,012

    Re: 2016-2017 WCHA Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by gfmorris View Post
    I want to be sure that I understand your standard here in the bolded statement: this is by PWR, right? It's important to note that UAH is 0-4-0 in OOC, with bad losses to St. Cloud (okay, I can live with that) and Connecticut (I blew my top). If your argument is that UAH is a bad team, I'll agree with it — my measure has them as a below-average team in the WCHA, which seems to be a below-average league at the moment. That said, BG and UAH are tied at third in the league standings, so ... what does that really say about all of us?

    I don't think that you can really treat PWR as a fully informative rating system until early February. UAH has played 20 games (!) so far, and Harvard has played 11. It's a ranking system and not a rating one. Princeton is tied for 24th in PWR —*does anyone think that they'll stay there?



    I'd sure know that Baylis was saying while face masking that Nanook. I think Jenks wanted to fight Nell, but he was on the bench.

    GFM
    If Princeton keeps winning, yes...they started slowly but they've swept BSU, Quinnipiac, and with a win tonight, would sweep MSU. It will be interesting to see what Princeton does the rest of the year but currently, they're on a roll.
    As for the WCHA, without NC wins, its hard to expect the UAA, NMU, UAH, FSU, or Alaska to get out of the basement of RPI/PWR.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

    Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

  19. #319
    lucky penguin
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    16,639

    Re: 2016-2017 WCHA Season Thread

    They have five of the worst 11 teams in the RPI right now. Playing a few more games against each other next month isn't going to change that in any meaningful way. They'e a worse conference than Atlantic Hockey this year.
    Originally posted by dicaslover
    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

    Originally posted by Kristin
    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

    Western College Hockey Blog

  20. #320
    gfmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Madison, AL, USA
    Posts
    7,510

    Re: 2016-2017 WCHA Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    If Princeton keeps winning, yes...they started slowly but they've swept BSU, Quinnipiac, and with a win tonight, would sweep MSU. It will be interesting to see what Princeton does the rest of the year but currently, they're on a roll.
    As for the WCHA, without NC wins, its hard to expect the UAA, NMU, UAH, FSU, or Alaska to get out of the basement of RPI/PWR.
    Everyone helps with PWR, of course, but UAH's final opponents are UMass (49th) and either Mercyhurst (54th) or Minnesota (9th). All we need is for UAH to beat UMass, UMinn to beat MC, and UAH to upset the Gophers.





    Sorry, I pulled a muscle laughing at that.

    But if that happened and the Gophers swept Penn State in response, well, we're back, baby!





    Yeah.

    GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •