Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 1001

Thread: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

  1. #161
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    31,622

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I've wasted thousands of dollars trying to get this thing to work and having to confirm my choice of "color, single sided". Thousands.

    It's a terrible cost-savings measure. It has probably cost our company millions. I wish I were exaggerating.

    The biggest problem is that people don't print because they can, they print because it's a productivity enhancer. I recharge between $105 and $330+ depending on the destination. If I waste a single hour per year, I would need to print thousands of pages in color single sided every year.
    They won't even give me color printing access. Won't give it to anyone on my team, because the powers that be have decided that it is not essential for us, or for pretty much all of engineering. It is idiotic.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  2. #162
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    21,292

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    That's absolutely insane. I only print color for presentations. When its mission critical.

    And color only costs like what? $0.08 a page or less?

  3. #163

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    30,444
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    They won't even give me color printing access. Won't give it to anyone on my team, because the powers that be have decided that it is not essential for us, or for pretty much all of engineering. It is idiotic.
    What's the largest page you can print on? As an accountant, I lived for 11x17 ledger paper.

  4. #164
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    21,292

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    We can do F on our plotter (color ink)

    Laser we can go up to B on color.

  5. #165
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    31,622

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    What's the largest page you can print on? As an accountant, I lived for 11x17 ledger paper.
    I can print 1117 if I want. Comes in handy sometimes when I'm working with prints.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  6. #166
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    21,292

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    11x17 is probably the most common size I print. Letter and C are next.

  7. #167
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    between Scylla and Charybdis
    Posts
    8,501

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    What's the largest page you can print on? As an accountant, I lived for 11x17 ledger paper.
    we have an HP printer that allows for custom sizes, within the limits of the manual feed. We have glued two 11x17 pages together with a 1" overlap to create 11x33 and printed on that a few times.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

    "Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

    "Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

    "People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

  8. #168
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    31,622

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Since people were just discussing work laptops. My Dell just gave me the blue screen of death this morning, and its been 45 minutes, and it still hasn't recovered.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  9. #169
    lubba wubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    29,294

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Since people were just discussing work laptops. My Dell just gave me the blue screen of death this morning, and its been 45 minutes, and it still hasn't recovered.
    Pull the plug, remove the battery and wait a few minutes. Then give it power again and see if it restarts. (You're at the Death screen, how much worse could it get?)


    *Not a professional PC tech.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  10. #170
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    110,035

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Had the blue screen of death a couple weeks ago. It turned out to be a single corrupt file. Steve_MN (who does tech for a living) fixed it in about 2 minutes.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  11. #171
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    31,622

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Pull the plug, remove the battery and wait a few minutes. Then give it power again and see if it restarts. (You're at the Death screen, how much worse could it get?)


    *Not a professional PC tech.
    Well, the death screen came up, and then from there it said it had recovered to the point it told me it was going to restart. It sat on a "please wait" screen, trying restart for about 45 minutes, or longer. I was writing an email to IT on my phone, and then it finally moved on to the login screen. I logged in, and it seems to be working fine now...I thought it was dead, but it seems to be ok now.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  12. #172
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    110,035

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Well, the death screen came up, and then from there it said it had recovered to the point it told me it was going to restart. It sat on a "please wait" screen, trying restart for about 45 minutes, or longer. I was writing an email to IT on my phone, and then it finally moved on to the login screen. I logged in, and it seems to be working fine now...I thought it was dead, but it seems to be ok now.
    Did anyone else think of the "Bring out your dead!" Monty Python scene?
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  13. #173
    lubba wubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    29,294

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Well, the death screen came up, and then from there it said it had recovered to the point it told me it was going to restart. It sat on a "please wait" screen, trying restart for about 45 minutes, or longer. I was writing an email to IT on my phone, and then it finally moved on to the login screen. I logged in, and it seems to be working fine now...I thought it was dead, but it seems to be ok now.
    For future use: If you're in the start up process and it's going excruciatingly slow, you can force a hard reset of the system by holding in the power button for five seconds and run very little risk of harming the PC. I got this from either a very cavalier PC tech at work, a very disgruntled PC tech at work on the verge of being fired, or a guy who knows his stuff and has asked to be called the Magic Man on multiple occasions.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  14. #174
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    110,035

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    For future use: If you're in the start up process and it's going excruciatingly slow, you can force a hard reset of the system by holding in the power button for five seconds and run very little risk of harming the PC. I got this from either a very cavalier PC tech at work, a very disgruntled PC tech at work on the verge of being fired, or a guy who knows his stuff and has asked to be called the Magic Man on multiple occasions.
    I have been told the same thing.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  15. #175
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    31,622

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    For future use: If you're in the start up process and it's going excruciatingly slow, you can force a hard reset of the system by holding in the power button for five seconds and run very little risk of harming the PC. I got this from either a very cavalier PC tech at work, a very disgruntled PC tech at work on the verge of being fired, or a guy who knows his stuff and has asked to be called the Magic Man on multiple occasions.
    I did that. After about 20 minutes of seeing "Please Wait" it restarted, and sat on the same "Please Wait" screen for another 25 minutes before going to the logon screen.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  16. #176
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    21,292

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Hard resets pose almost zero risk. It's extremely common. All it does is force a shutdown of the system.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

  17. #177
    lubba wubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    29,294

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Hard resets pose almost zero risk. It's extremely common. All it does is force a shutdown of the system.
    Depending upon what you're doing in your system, it used to run the risk of corrupting files. If they've found a way to avoid that corruption now, then all the better.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  18. #178
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    21,292

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Depending upon what you're doing in your system, it used to run the risk of corrupting files. If they've found a way to avoid that corruption now, then all the better.
    I wouldn't hard reset if it I was installing system updates or anything like that. But Windows will fix itself now and has been able to for years. Most of the time your work is autosaved now. In fact, Office products can recall multiple autosave revisions. In my opinion, if you're at the point you're doing a hard reset, you're screwed anyways.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

  19. #179
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    40,725

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I wouldn't hard reset if it I was installing system updates or anything like that. But Windows will fix itself now and has been able to for years. Most of the time your work is autosaved now. In fact, Office products can recall multiple autosave revisions. In my opinion, if you're at the point you're doing a hard reset, you're screwed anyways.
    Although they'll still break when trying to run update if you hard-reset.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  20. #180
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    21,292

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Great. THere's a girl at work who's obviously very sick. Yet she still feels the need to come in and get everyone sick. I hate these people so, so much.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •