Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    I'm still there, mostly to post memes to make people laugh for a second, or to rant about little thing about day-to-day life. My FB wall is 99% politics-free, and it's going to stay that way. I don't give ****s about your politics, and I'm not going to beat you over the head with mine.

I've said this before: When my dad worked in the factory, he told me that there were two things that were NOT discussed publicly in the shop: politics and religion. I adhere to that to this day.
    Obviously, I am getting into the pols thread here on the board, and may interject a comment or two in general on FB, but your last comment is mo' def true. I do NOT discuss those things at work. Never.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Obviously, I am getting into the pols thread here on the board, and may interject a comment or two in general on FB, but your last comment is mo' def true. I do NOT discuss those things at work. Never.
      The item you posted on FB, the one that I later shared, is just about the upper limit on what I'll do politics-wise on FB.
      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
        The item you posted on FB, the one that I later shared, is just about the upper limit on what I'll do politics-wise on FB.
        Agreed.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          I already submitted it to LSSU's Banned Words list for this year, though I didn't specifically call out its use against libs, who have increasingly been turning it against cons when they whine about courts or Congress blocking Trump's agenda (and yeah, I'm guilty). What started out as a lame epithet towards Millennials has become a catch-all for anyone who objects to your narrow line of thinking.
          I am confused by the label. To me the definition of someone who is a snowflake should be they melt away with any opposition. Instead it is being used in reference to people who are standing up for what they believe- I truly don't get how it makes them a snowflake. (This has bugged me for some time). I esp don't get it because some of the people who use it are the ones who have spent yrs whining about things not being the way they want with no logical explanation for why it should be done that way.

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          Do some reading on the "mouse utopia" experiments from the 1950s, and that kind of behavior will make a lot more sense.
          Yep sad but true

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          I left fakebook 4 months ago, and I couldn't be happier. The hatred levels are all by design. Let them be ****ed off. And if you're that worried about staying in contact with people, the telephone is not antiquated by any means.
          Unfortunately phones are not what the younger generation in my family use and they live fairly far away.

I fall pray to the disease that people should be able to debate, consider facts/research and think of consequences to what is proposed. Sadly this is way out of fashion. Scientific American had the best article about why this isn't so and also why social media makes this even worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
            I'm still there, mostly to post memes to make people laugh for a second, or to rant about little things I observe in day-to-day life. My FB wall is 99% politics-free, and it's going to stay that way, one way or another. I don't give ****s about your politics, and I'm not going to beat you over the head with mine.

I've said this before: When my dad worked in the factory, he told me that there were two things that were NOT discussed publicly in the shop: politics and religion. I adhere to that to this day.
            A guy I know has posted four separate times over the past couple months that he's sick of hearing about politics on Facebook. Even upped the ante and on the last one and said the next one to post will get defriended. Without fail, each time, literally within hours of the post, he himself has posted something political.
            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

My interpretation of a "snowflake" is someone who gets offended at the slighest thing and cannot deal with it. The folks who feel the need to have "safe zones," the folks who just cannot bear to hear an opposing viewpoint without freaking out. That sorta thing. I, for one, do not limit the term to any political party or generation.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                My interpretation of a "snowflake" is someone who gets offended at the slighest thing and cannot deal with it. The folks who feel the need to have "safe zones," the folks who just cannot bear to hear an opposing viewpoint without freaking out. That sorta thing. I, for one, do not limit the term to any political party or generation.
                I would go with that but when I read things the wingnuts seem to label anyone who attempts a logical post does not agree with X or calls out someone for being uncivil as a snowflake.

If I see 'snowflake' in a post I generally dismiss the person as a non-thinker using the label because they have nothing intelligent to respond. If the argument is the person is whiny isn't labeling them a snowflake being whiny right back?

There are a lot of those lately popping up in places I wouldn't expect- Scientific American posts This goes along with people who feel having an opinion other than theirs who are 'sore losers'. Whether someone won or lost has nothing to do with a person making a logical argument. Well, I know logic is now out of fashion....
                Last edited by leswp1; 06-01-2017, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                  I would go with that but when I read things the wingnuts seem to label anyone who attempts a logical post does not agree with X or calls out someone for being uncivil as a snowflake
                  Yes, those people are out there. That part sucks.

Comment

Unfortunately phones are not what the younger generation in my family use and they live fairly far away.

I fall pray to the disease that people should be able to debate, consider facts/research and think of consequences to what is proposed. Sadly this is way out of fashion. Scientific American had the best article about why this isn't so and also why social media makes this even worse.
                    People want to debate, and that's fine. The issue is not with debating, but the specific information that is presented to you in order to slant said debate. Despite any work you do, fakebook's algorithm is designed to make you as ****ed off as possible so you will be angry. However if you present a logical viewpoint, they will either bury it, bring in paid trolls to counteract with rhetoric, or just plain censor it altogether.

I'm sorry your younger relatives won't even use SMS, but if that's their prerogative, so be it.

Comment

I wish I was surprised by that response. It is rather sad that I am not.

Comment

I would go with that but when I read things the wingnuts seem to label anyone who attempts a logical post does not agree with X or calls out someone for being uncivil as a snowflake.

If I see 'snowflake' in a post I generally dismiss the person as a non-thinker using the label because they have nothing intelligent to respond. If the argument is the person is whiny isn't labeling them a snowflake being whiny right back?

There are a lot of those lately popping up in places I wouldn't expect- Scientific American posts This goes along with people who feel having an opinion other than theirs who are 'sore losers'. Whether someone won or lost has nothing to do with a person making a logical argument. Well, I know logic is now out of fashion....
                        If it's not "snowflake", there'll be another term, whether "racist", "liberal", "misogynistic", whatever today is. Welcome to a country that is just as divided as the 1850's.

If people have a legitimate beef about a thought or policy, that's fine, and people should be all ears. If it's just being attacked because of the party, or who said it, then you start having a problem, and is where "sore loser" should start coming into play. And even if you try to apply any sort of logic to it, take any sort of party alignments out of the question, and see if the logic still stands. I recognized this around the time of Obama's first 100 days. Sure, I was young fall-in-line mutton that didn't know what the hell to stand for. Then I started listening to how Hannity was introducing his radio show, and I thought to myself, "Why the hell am I doing this? And why is this group now suddenly opposed to things they supported because a different person is in charge?" That is when I vowed to myself not to fall into a party line ever again.

A former friend once said to me to put your vote behind a positive reason, never against someone. I must say, he's absolutely correct. I did try to come up with positive reasons in 2004, but looking back, it was just party talking points. And 2008's vote I regret because it truly was an anti-vote. It was liberating voting for Johnson in 2012, because it was one of the first times I felt like I did something positive. And I don't regret, for one second, not voting for Trump. And not because I'm not in a battleground state, either. Johnson's views aligned with mine the closest, and I do firmly believe I made the right choice.
                        Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 06-01-2017, 11:57 AM.

Comment

I am confused by the label. To me the definition of someone who is a snowflake should be they melt away with any opposition. Instead it is being used in reference to people who are standing up for what they believe- I truly don't get how it makes them a snowflake. (This has bugged me for some time). I esp don't get it because some of the people who use it are the ones who have spent yrs whining about things not being the way they want with no logical explanation for why it should be done that way.
                          Snowflake started in use as a label for the Millenials who were special, unique, and upset that the world didn't recognize them as such, just like a real snowflake.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            Snowflake started in use as a label for the Millenials who were special, unique, and upset that the world didn't recognize them as such, just like a real snowflake.
                            Hmm. It really is amazing how labels can morph or be manipulated. When I was a kid being an intellectual, going to college, being educated all were things to aspire to. Now they, for some reason are derogatory. Having experience- a minus. Being able to work with others and flexible- also negative. I am educated, intellectual, have 2 degrees, think people should be able to work with others- I am not good at all.

Comment

It originated with aging and unhappy members of the GenX/Boomer crowd who needed a special epithet for Millennials, like "hippie" used to be back in the 60s. The idea is that every snowflake is unique, and thus young libs who are part of the "gig economy" feel they're unique because they rejected 9-5 cube farm and/or manual labor, even if it would increase their standard of living. Also, because they are young and liberal and tend to promote social justice causes, which then led to the "Social Justice Warrior/SJW" epithet.

Such terminology has gone far past its origins, and is now very old and tiresome.

If I see 'snowflake' in a post I generally dismiss the person as a non-thinker using the label because they have nothing intelligent to respond.
                              This
                              Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 06-01-2017, 12:38 PM.

Comment

I'm pretty sure SJW came along before the Snowflake term.

Regardless, when I pull out the Snowflake label, it means I'm having fun, and using it in jest, not during serious discussion.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X