Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

My wife and I are moving today - for our 12th time in our 13 years together. No joke. I am not sure what life will be like someday without packing for or unpacking from a move...

Anyone want to buy a house? It's within walking distance of the beach!
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Credit card fraud!

Why can't I get away with it?
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        Credit card fraud!

Why can't I get away with it?
        When I bought my Nintendo Switch my card declined the purchase, then sent me a text asking if it was me. Replied yes, then it took 2 or 3 minutes to go through.

Handy feature, but if it cost me a Switch I would have been a salt mine.
        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
          My wife and I are moving today - for our 12th time in our 13 years together. No joke. I am not sure what life will be like someday without packing for or unpacking from a move...

Can you buy an RV and keep it simple?
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post

Nope. You want to buy ours?
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
              When I bought my Nintendo Switch my card declined the purchase, then sent me a text asking if it was me. Replied yes, then it took 2 or 3 minutes to go through.

Handy feature, but if it cost me a Switch I would have been a salt mine.
              I got lucky that someone designed an algorithm to monitor for card fraud, otherwise I'd have to clear up about $1000 in false charges made yesterday and today. The problem for me is that I now have to wait until next week before I can easily spend money again, and I'll have to re-assign my payment method for many of my monthly bills.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Wait until you think about downsizing. We have toys and stuff from when the kids were young plus the stuff we've accumulated since we moved into the current manse in 1985.

How much stuff gets moved and what gets sold or otherwise disposed of will lead to many interesting conversations.
                I just had Donation Nation haul our giveaway stuff -- about 60% of the contents of the whole house. They take anything that's not dirt and rocks and they write you a fair market value statement you use for a tax deduction for charitable giving. You pay for the percentage of the truck you use.

That was 14 years of accumulation. My Mom's house is 55 years and counting. It looks like f-cking Xanadu in there.
                Last edited by Kepler; 05-08-2017, 03:12 PM.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Verizon. First the line to my house has been screwed up for months with me getting the run around. The guy came and fixed it today after the line became so bad I had white noise and no internet. He replaced the line to the house and said the other 2 guys didn't want to deal with digging thru the brush to fix the line.

Then I get internet- sloooooow as molasses, maybe worse than before. Get on and the Verizon email server is crashed. Since 5:45 this AM. No notice, nothing on their page. Finally got the scoop after an hour of dealing with them. Theeeeeen the guy tels me he is giving me credit and tells me my bill is some ridiculously low amt to start before the discount. Had the wrong account up. aaaaannnnnnd- they are killing their email so I need to migrate it out except I can't because I can't see my email. I have going on 5 days of email I need to deal with. My box is going to blow up when I finally can connect. Grrrr.

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                    Verizon. First the line to my house has been screwed up for months with me getting the run around. The guy came and fixed it today after the line became so bad I had white noise and no internet. He replaced the line to the house and said the other 2 guys didn't want to deal with digging thru the brush to fix the line.

Then I get internet- sloooooow as molasses, maybe worse than before. Get on and the Verizon email server is crashed. Since 5:45 this AM. No notice, nothing on their page. Finally got the scoop after an hour of dealing with them. Theeeeeen the guy tels me he is giving me credit and tells me my bill is some ridiculously low amt to start before the discount. Had the wrong account up. aaaaannnnnnd- they are killing their email so I need to migrate it out except I can't because I can't see my email. I have going on 5 days of email I need to deal with. My box is going to blow up when I finally can connect. Grrrr.
                    Les - try resetting the router.
                    I migrated the email over. PITA.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Les - try resetting the router.
                      I migrated the email over. PITA.
                      I think I reset but I will try it. Anything to speed things up! Thanks!

Ugh, great to hear about the email. The joke is on them. One of the main reasons I haven't switched is because I have my email with them- work, prof org that I run, all the businesses I deal with, etc. With the 'new' email I don't need to have Verizon to keep my email. w00t! Smell ya later!

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                        I think I reset but I will try it. Anything to speed things up! Thanks!

Ugh, great to hear about the email. The joke is on them. One of the main reasons I haven't switched is because I have my email with them- work, prof org that I run, all the businesses I deal with, etc. With the 'new' email I don't need to have Verizon to keep my email. w00t! Smell ya later!
                        Led
                        You have to change from POP3 to SMTP, change your incoming and outgoing server names, and change the ports for incoming and outgoing.

In my case, I use Windows mail, so I had to create a new instance of the mail server in Mail. FARK!!!
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

They told me I don't need to do that with my Outlook. I need to migrate everything out but....

Comment

It's times like this that I'm so glad I've sold my soul to Google... err... begged for an invite to GMail when it first debuted in 2004 for my personal e-mail. Having my e-mail hosted "in the cloud" that allows for POP/IMAP input and output if I needed it, and the portability of accessing it virtually everywhere is fantastic.

All my work e-mails have been tied to Outlook and corporate web servers (except for one company that still used Lotus Notes), and anything I've needed I've just forwarded to my personal e-mail.

My latest company has the corporate setting ratcheted down pretty hard that I can't make a backup of my Outlook data file unless I find a way through their locked down PC user settings.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Have you tried just dragging emails out of your inbox to windows explorer?
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I hate yard work
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X