Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    The issue isn't setting the clocks for me, or most people, I'd wager. It's the messing around with our sleep schedules.
    Most of it is messing with sleep schedules; but we adapt.

For me, another major annoyance is having it become so dark again in the early morning. DST was not originally designed to start this early in the year; and it was designed in the first place for an agrarian society. Since then, we've become far more urbanized; and light in the morning, relative to light in the evening, is more important (the "schoolkids going to the bus in the dark" concern you hear every year at this time).
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      is it really that big of an imposition to set your clocks twice a year?
      only in one of the cars; I always have to get out the owner's manual to find out how to do it; and the really annoying part of that is the index doesn't tell you where to find the instructions. :mad
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I actually woke up an hour early today. I'm a little thrown off with food schedules, but it's not that bad. I enjoy the shift to later daylight during the summer. I also like the daylight shift back to normal in the winter. It's worth the two or three clocks in my life that don't automatically get reset. Even my car does it automagically now. Nice bonus!
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          light in the morning, relative to light in the evening, is more important (the "schoolkids going to the bus in the dark" concern you hear every year at this time).
          No, it's not. If the time changes bother people that much, the majority would prefer the daylight hours according to year round DST to year round standard time. Because most people want sunlight until 9 or 10 at night in July, and they don't want sunrises at 4 or 4:30 in the morning. Meanwhile in the winter, even without daylight savings it's still dark during both commutes.

And I'll be honest, there has been more *****ing about daylight savings time this year than I remember there being in past years. Is it just general discontentment or what?
          Last edited by unofan; 03-13-2017, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            Most of it is messing with sleep schedules; but we adapt.

For me, another major annoyance is having it become so dark again in the early morning. DST was not originally designed to start this early in the year; and it was designed in the first place for an agrarian society. Since then, we've become far more urbanized; and light in the morning, relative to light in the evening, is more important (the "schoolkids going to the bus in the dark" concern you hear every year at this time).
            I'd say "rural" is more accurate than "agrarian" in that most farmers I know (mostly dairy farmers who deal with animals) hate it. The cows don't care what the clock says.

Me, I don't care. I'm retired, and the clock above my desk tells me what day it is. Guessing the time by looking out the window, whether I'm hungry or not, and how sleepy I am is usually close enough.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              https://www.theatlantic.com/national...-shame/354753/

Proof that even the Atlantic has stupid writers. This is a dumb article. Not just because the title is cringe-worthy, but is it really that big of an imposition to set your clocks twice a year? Hell, most of them do it automatically now.
              I've seen proposals to fold Central Time into Eastern, and Mountain Time into Pacific, and then eliminate DST. Always good for a laugh.

Comment

All of the complaining about DST is always much ado about nothing. Adjusting sleep schedules? It is 1 hour? How do you even notice it? I sure didn't.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                  All of the complaining about DST is always much ado about nothing. Adjusting sleep schedules? It is 1 hour? How do you even notice it? I sure didn't.
                  Switch to GMT. You never have to worry. Or just move to Arizona.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                    Ditto.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

It's adjusting 1 hour 1 freaking time. People can be such Sallies.

Comment

Adjust sure, but there have been studies that show that the solidly on the day after and tapering off for the week following a time change, there is an increase in vehicular crashes and a rise in health issues (heart attacks, etc.).

There is no benefit to daylight savings. It was enacted briefly for WWI, for three years in WWII, and not formally enacted nationally until by Nixon in 1974. It was amended in the 80's and last ratified by GW Bush in 2005.

Honestly, move to DST permanently, and be done with this bullsh**.
                        Last edited by aparch; 03-14-2017, 10:05 AM.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          It's adjusting 1 hour 1 freaking time. People can be such Sallies.
                          Amen.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

A large portion of our country is sleep deprived as it is, working two jobs, single parents taking on that struggle, people with sleeping disorders, and so on. Taking away yet another hour of sleep can really mess with people when it's not really necessary.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                              Adjust sure, but there have been studies that show that the solidly on the day after and tapering off for the week following a time change, there is an increase in vehicular crashes and a rise in health issues (heart attacks, etc.).

There is no benefit to daylight savings. It was enacted briefly for WWI, for three years in WWII, and not formally enacted nationally until by Nixon in 1974. It was amended in the 80's and last ratified by GW Bush in 2005.

Honestly, move to DST permanently, and be done with this bullsh**.
                              Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              A large portion of our country is sleep deprived as it is, working two jobs, single parents taking on that struggle, people with sleeping disorders, and so on. Taking away yet another hour of sleep can really mess with people when it's not really necessary.
                              Well, that saved me some typing. For a small portion of the population, who have fluid Circadian rhythms, this seems silly. For the vast majority of the population is screws a bunch of stuff up medically for a bit. Bell curve like- for a portion of the population is really messes things up.

Those who whine that people aren't adjusting are obviously those who don't have Circadian rhythms that work worth a dam.

Comment

Stolen from somewhere:

"How come people use the clocks as an excuse for being late when they move forward, but no one has ever been an hour early to work in the fall?"
                                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Working...
                                X