Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

I learn something new every day

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
      I learn something new every day
      MN isn't exactly the sanest when it comes to liquor laws. We're no PA (or TX when it comes to breweries), but we are messed up.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        we are messed up
        No need to tell the rest us of that...
        Quinnipiac Bobcats
        2023 National Champions
        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
        Northeast Regional:
        West Regional: 2015, 2021
        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

MN isn't exactly the sanest when it comes to liquor laws. We're no PA (or TX when it comes to breweries), but we are messed up.
          Sorry, but you haven't seen messed up until you've seen a Zion curtain. Also worth Googling for the lulz.

"If we make them hide the stuff, we can pretend the infidels aren't drinking it. That'll work."

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            Sorry, but you haven't seen messed up until you've seen a Zion curtain. Also worth Googling for the lulz.

"If we make them hide the stuff, we can pretend the infidels aren't drinking it. That'll work."
            I purposely left out Utah, because that is just a whole 'nother level right there.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Bust your ass all year, make significant growth in both professional development and leadership areas, have a stellar performance in the year, get an average review.

"So what specific areas can I work on that would get me to that next level?"

"Well, it's hard to really point to any specific areas. Your big project you had this year was run... Well, it's hard to describe it as anything less than spectacular. You've also shown significant improvement in non-project areas like leadership committees and other groups."

"so... What can I do?"

"Well, I guess most of your projects just kind of went nowhere but none of them were really your fault. They just didn't get the backing from management. And you really didn't have any other highlight projects assigned to you by us."

"So, what I was given was executed 'spectacularly' and I've shown 'significant growth' in every other area?"

"Yes."

This was by far my best year I've had professionally. It's becoming very obvious that the only people who get decent reviews must have Kompromat on their boss.

Time to start looking for a new job if this is the kind of crap I'm going to get after having the year I did.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

They always look for some bad, because of name a reason:

1. Want to push you
                2. Don't want to give you the raise you deserve
                3. Just because they feel like it

My last review, I was actually told "You need to put the labels on straighter." Yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  Bust your ass all year, make significant growth in both professional development and leadership areas, have a stellar performance in the year, get an average review.

"So what specific areas can I work on that would get me to that next level?"

"Well, it's hard to really point to any specific areas. Your big project you had this year was run... Well, it's hard to describe it as anything less than spectacular. You've also shown significant improvement in non-project areas like leadership committees and other groups."

"so... What can I do?"

"Well, I guess most of your projects just kind of went nowhere but none of them were really your fault. They just didn't get the backing from management. And you really didn't have any other highlight projects assigned to you by us."

"So, what I was given was executed 'spectacularly' and I've shown 'significant growth' in every other area?"

"Yes."

This was by far my best year I've had professionally. It's becoming very obvious that the only people who get decent reviews must have Kompromat on their boss.

Time to start looking for a new job if this is the kind of crap I'm going to get after having the year I did.
                  Translation: "Dx, you didn't kiss enough arse."

Sorry to hear. Maybe you should dump engineering and get into consulting! (seriously - don't).

They always look for some bad, because of name a reason...my last review, I was actually told "You need to put the labels on straighter." Yeah.
                  I know you generally like the place, but I'd be gone after something like that.

Comment

Sorry to hear. Maybe you should dump engineering and get into consulting! (seriously - don't).

I know you generally like the place, but I'd be gone after something like that.
                    I just smile, nod, and continue to do what I do. Still get paid, still get my raises (hard to argue with my numbers in a number-based environment). Plus, they generally leave me alone, which is HUGE in my mind.

Comment

I just smile, nod, and continue to do what I do. Still get paid, still get my raises (hard to argue with my numbers in a number-based environment). Plus, they generally leave me alone, which is HUGE in my mind.
                      If you're getting your expected raises, and money/personal happiness are the main thing, that's your business. Cool. Let them throw in whatever trivial negative for your reviews.

No or very little raise over some nitpick like that? Or denied a promotion? Fck you, I'm looking for my next role.

Comment

If you're getting your expected raises, and money/personal happiness are the main thing, that's your business. Cool. Let them throw in whatever trivial negative for your reviews.

No or very little raise over some nitpick like that? Or denied a promotion? Fck you, I'm looking for my next role.
                        I agree, that would be different. Not trying to sound arrogant or anything like that, but if THAT'S what you have to find to nitpick me? It's comical.

Comment

Sometimes raises are limited by budget even for those that are likely deserving of at least even a small bump. Our company is pretty rigid when it comes to handing out raises even if we're crushing our margins and forecasts for revenues/expenses/gross profits (which we did for the fiscal year 2016). I have 16 managers working for me and realistically 9-10 of them should get at an increase and right now I'm having trouble finding one for more than 7. It sucks but I am somewhat blessed in that we still have monthly and quarterly bonus opportunities as incentive to hang around. Plus working for me is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            Sometimes raises are limited by budget even for those that are likely deserving of at least even a small bump. Our company is pretty rigid when it comes to handing out raises even if we're crushing our margins and forecasts for revenues/expenses/gross profits (which we did for the fiscal year 2016). I have 16 managers working for me and realistically 9-10 of them should get at an increase and right now I'm having trouble finding one for more than 7. It sucks but I am somewhat blessed in that we still have monthly and quarterly bonus opportunities as incentive to hang around. Plus working for me is awesome.
                            Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, and left at precisely the right time (though it was a couple years later than I wanted).

Comment

Well, they are capital projects so kissing arse doesn't have much to do with it. It's just whether our customer division management wants to move forward with it. I was jerked around for a year on my other big project and two of the other $1 million+ projects didn't get past the preliminary engineering phase.

I have consulting a try out of college. It was great for the first few years but I almost left the job in the middle of the Great Recession because it was going to kill me.

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                              Yeah, I get that. But he said he went back and forth on my rating for the year. So I don't think it was because of budget. Maybe it was.

The frustrating part is that I hear about people who get 4s and 5s every single year and their performance is no different than mine. When I try to ask what I can do to get there, I'm given wishy washy answers. I've gotten my fair share of good reviews and don't expect them every year, but if I have a good year I do expect it. And like I said, this was my best year I've had professionally.

Oh well. I do think it's time for me to move on though. I've been in that position for five years with a promotion back in 2014. I don't want to leave the company but I'm not seeing the development opportunities with this division right now.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Crappy communicators. I'm helping out on a project. A young designer has been on this one from the start. He sends me communications that I inevitably have to send follow up questions on. Every. Goddam. Time. I'm writing the specs and yesterday he sent me a checklist item where all he had to do was include the word "Add" at the start of the phrase. So I wasted time trying to figure out if he was asking a question, or what. Took two more emails to get it out of him.

He's located in Duluth now, which makes it even harder. On the other hand, it keeps me from strangling him.

Comment

Working...
                                X