Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    I just had to sit through a half-hour virtual seminar on anti-money laundering, and then pass a test after the lesson. The next time I see or speak with a customer in a business relationship will also be the first time. That was 40 minutes well spent.

It's one of three courses I'll have to spend on the subject this year, and it's not the longest of the three.
    Are they paying you? yes- win- No- lose.
    I hate when they require things and expect you to do them on your own time.

Comment

Went to the optometrist for the first time in five years (was busy with work or would forget to schedule an appt for off days). Glasses were long over due to be replaced. There were micro-cracks in the lenses from the coating cracking. I could focus on things, but things appeared to be smudged to blur fine details.

Get told the best lenses for my prescription were High Index 1.67 lenses. They'll be just great for all the work I do outside. Lightweight and really thin. So I picked them up last week.

What they neglected to mention is that there is a prism effect that happens due to the ultra light/thin material used. Outside of the cone of vision, light starts to separate. Enough to where if I try to use my peripheral vision at all to see anything light colored (wide-screen computer monitor, papers and plans on my desk next to me) or on sunny days (any and everything that can reflect light), or bright lights at night, I can see the individual colors separate from their soruce.

And I can feel my brain melting when it's trying to figure out why "I can see everything in focus including my peripheral, but my peripheral isn't 'focused' right."

I've never had headaches from glasses before. The last pair of glasses (five years ago) was a move from glass to plastic in every pair of glasses I've worn since I was 7. (Weight of the lenses never bothered me.) That last optometrist I got ****ed at for not telling me how terrible Poly was for lenses because I had terrible tunnel vision from that ****. A new pair of lenses fixed that.

So, I try to explain to the optometrist what was going on Saturday. After having the glasses for a week. She had incredulously never heard of anything like that, and said the lenses measured to the specifications needed. Maybe they were ground slightly wrong. Which doesn'the explain why both eyes have the same problem. She said there wasn'the much that could be done except for sending them back and asking the lap to check them or tough it out and see if I could adjust to then (again, I've never had issues and any slight increase in prescription only caused a days adjustment. Not a week.

I said I'd try another week, but after two days I couldn't take it anymore. So they're ordering me 1.60 lenses.

The gear grinder is that in the Google-ing I did over the weekend to see if I'm missing a few chromosomes or others actually have this problem is that there IS a difference in the clarity of the material used for glasses.

Obviously glass is best, followed by old school plastic which is as thick as glass, then Trivex (a hardened plastic thinner than old school), high index material, and then the trash polycarbonate lenses.

But, optometrist push for thinner because the newer materials bend light better than the older thick material, thus less material is needed. That order goes high index, polycarbonate, trivex, old plastic, glass.

Apparently, I'm one of the rare few who actually notice the light bending (in my case separating) in high index glasses. There is a pair of lenses just a step below high index that has much better clarity (less of the prism effect) but it's a less popular material.

It's weird to explain.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_aberration
      http://www.2020mag.com/l-and-t/31816/

If I turn my head left and while focusing on this image, black lines appear between some of the colors as the colors shift over and bleed into other squares.

I can't wait for the new lenses to come in to fix it.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
        I'm lucky that I'm some kind of evolved form of human that never developed wisdom teeth (go ahead and joke about me not being wise)
        I only had them grow in on the right side. One had grown in normal but would dig into my cheek/jaw while I slept and the other was growing in wrong so I got em both out.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
          I only had them grow in on the right side. One had grown in normal but would dig into my cheek/jaw while I slept and the other was growing in wrong so I got em both out.
          Three came in for me.

Popcorn's sold to the right, 2 bag maximum.

Comment

Politics... Everything that has happened since the beginning of 2016 is the end of the world according to someone... Yet here we are...

It sucks being a true independent and being able to get strongly behind issues from both sides while also thinking that other issues from both sides are effing stupid...
            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
              Politics... Everything that has happened since the beginning of 2016 is the end of the world according to someone... Yet here we are...

It sucks being a true independent and being able to get strongly behind issues from both sides while also thinking that other issues from both sides are effing stupid...
              this

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                Get told the best lenses for my prescription were High Index 1.67 lenses.
                I'm running High-Z (1.67) right now also. My second pair. I get them full boat (anti-reflective, UV). A close relative is my optometrist so it's cheap for me.

I hadn't noticed the "black line shift" you note until just now. I see it, yet, that doesn't bother me. Why?

The High-Z gives such a small cone of perfect focus that I "square up" to everything I look at. That's my gripe. Then again, without the High-Z I'd have much heavier glasses.
                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Thirded.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

You could probably go back a little further than that and see the same thing. Doesn't mean it isn't true in the present, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                      I'm running High-Z (1.67) right now also. My second pair. I get them full boat (anti-reflective, UV). A close relative is my optometrist so it's cheap for me.

I hadn't noticed the "black line shift" you note until just now. I see it, yet, that doesn't bother me. Why?

The High-Z gives such a small cone of perfect focus that I "square up" to everything I look at. That's my gripe. Then again, without the High-Z I'd have much heavier glasses.
                      Not sure. That seems to be the rub. Working in construction there is a lot I use my peripheral vision for so squaring up to *everything* is a pain in the neck, literally. Even driving, it's frustrating trying to read electronic message signs that are in color, because the colors shift so much. Right now my computer monitor is three feet away from me and the center of the spreadsheet I have open is crisp and sharp. Black and white text. The edge of the spreadsheet is "blurry" in that the slight spread of color makes the black and white text white, blue, black, and yellow. It's in focus, yet the color separation makes my brain hurt thinking it needs to focus more.

From what I've read, apparently there are only a very small percentage of people who complain about the problem. For me, I'm on day five of headaches until the new lenses come in.
                      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I love my Lasik eyes more and more everyday.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

When did you get Lasik?
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            When did you get Lasik?
                            5 years ago. It got my eyes to 20/20, 6 months after the surgery. They stayed 20/20 for 4 years, and now after my last exam (about 2 months ago), they've since gotten better. They measured me at 20/15 at that point. So far, 2 thumbs way up. Wife's experience isn't as good, but her eyes were so bad that they knew going in that she'd likely need a touch-up, which she did. Now her vision is good, but not nearly as good as mine. She definitely doesn't need glasses or contacts anymore though.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              5 years ago. It got my eyes to 20/20, 6 months after the surgery. They stayed 20/20 for 4 years, and now after my last exam (about 2 months ago), they've since gotten better. They measured me at 20/15 at that point. So far, 2 thumbs way up. Wife's experience isn't as good, but her eyes were so bad that they knew going in that she'd likely need a touch-up, which she did. Now her vision is good, but not nearly as good as mine. She definitely doesn't need glasses or contacts anymore though.
                              I've thought a lot about getting it done. I've gotten too lazy to bother with contacts, and glasses are a pain snowboarding and doing other outdoor stuff. I can see okay enough to drive without my glasses on, but probably not legally (I wouldn't be able to read a highway sign until I was pretty close), my optometrist said I'd be a perfect candidate. My wife really can't see at all without her contacts. I think at one point they wouldn't do Lasik on her because her eyes were so bad. I'm not sure if that is still true though. She does deserve it more than me -- when she wakes up she pretty much has to find her glasses on the nightstand by feel.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                                I've thought a lot about getting it done. I've gotten too lazy to bother with contacts, and glasses are a pain snowboarding and doing other outdoor stuff. I can see okay enough to drive without my glasses on, but probably not legally (I wouldn't be able to read a highway sign until I was pretty close), my optometrist said I'd be a perfect candidate. My wife really can't see at all without her contacts. I think at one point they wouldn't do Lasik on her because her eyes were so bad. I'm not sure if that is still true though. She does deserve it more than me -- when she wakes up she pretty much has to find her glasses on the nightstand by feel.
                                I've considered it as well. I'm at the point now where I can barely pass the Viewmaster thingie at the DMV.

I understand nearsighted people are better candidates for improvement, which would be me.
                                Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Working...
                                X