Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    My driveway is completely covered in a thin layer of ice. Unfortunately, I can't use salt on my driveway because the homeowners' association decided to put down a new concrete apron in front of my garage and sent notice that salt ruins concrete during the first year it's in place and replacement would be at my expense. They also said I can't use metal tools to remove snow ever. (I didn't follow up to ask them if the same rule applies to our snow removal service.)

So with the light rain we received a couple days ago, and the now sub-zero temps, I have a driveway so slick that I'm refusing to order goods from online retailers because UPS and FedEx deliverers wouldn't be able to safely bring me my packages, and I don't want the lawsuit that would come with a fall.

It's not as efficient, but I've used sand several times when out of salt and it provided some relief.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      It's not as efficient, but I've used sand several times when out of salt and it provided some relief.
      Don't use cat litter. It's too late for me, save yourselves.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

My friends and I were having an email chain discussion about gluten (and the small ratio of people with celiacs to people who claim to have problems with gluten).

With that in mind, a ballad of Post-Truth America, as told by one of my friends:

I had this big argument with [wife] and her mom. They both claimed gluten made you feel bad. First I had to explain to them what gluten is and it's perfectly fine and outside of that 1% does no harm. They argued I was wrong and what evidence did I have. I presented them studies by Harvard, mayo clinic etc. I was called an ***
        Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 01-04-2017, 06:56 PM.
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Salt and cat litter are traction control agents only and provide zero melting capacity. Unless you're talking about iron and steel. Then sand is used exactly like salt in water.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            Salt and cat litter are traction control agents only and provide zero melting capacity. Unless you're talking about iron and steel. Then sand is used exactly like salt in water.
            Salt has zero melting capacity? huh?
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
              My friends and I were having an email chain discussion about gluten (and the small ratio of people with celiacs to people who claim to have problems with gluten).

With that in mind, a ballad of Post-Truth America, as told by one of my friends:
              Don't start me! The nutbags are such nutbags they make it difficult for the people who really have Celiac. The real ones get dismissed.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                Poutine is gross. Cheese curds are ok in small amounts and if they are from that one creamery in Wisconsin everyone goes apesh_t over.
                Woah woah woah. Hold on there. Poutine is awesome! Local place here makes some with duck gravy and duck confit and local cheese curds. The fries might even be fried in duck fat, I don't remember for sure. Awesome. I've also had some really good poutine in some places in Quebec doing a kind of gourmet take on French Canadian comfort food.

Even McDonalds in northern Maine have poutine!

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  You're ****ting us, right? Salt certainly provides melting capacity.

They spray our roads with salt brine the day before an ice storm around here. Sure doesn't provide any traction.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    Or whatever the heck poutine is made of. It looks like tofu and the gravy from a microwave dinner.

The French are the greatest chefs on Earth. Why do the Quebecois eat worse than the English?
                    French colonists were poor. Quebec was really quite poor until well after WW2. Hundreds of thousands came to Maine to flee poverty and work in textile mills, shoe factories, and paper mills. (This is when Maine was an industrial power and Quebec was not. Now Quebec has way more industry and most of Maine's factories are gone -- we have like 5-6 peprmills left)

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      Salt has zero melting capacity? huh?
                      Sorry. I meant sand.

Typo. I actually had to correct that in another post earlier today.
                      Code:
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                        Woah woah woah. Hold on there. Poutine is awesome! Local place here makes some with duck gravy and duck confit and local cheese curds. The fries might even be fried in duck fat, I don't remember for sure. Awesome. I've also had some really good poutine in some places in Quebec doing a kind of gourmet take on French Canadian comfort food.

Even McDonalds in northern Maine have poutine!
                        Nah, I just can't. I've had good poutine and I still can't get over it. It's just too much.
                        Code:

Comment

Seriously though, **** this guy forever

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/pool-jumpi...-ac-1790720550
                          Code:

Comment

Poutine sucks. Fresh cheese curds are great, as long as they are not deep fried. Those suck, too.

It's cold out. I'm grumpy.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Poutine is awesome, as are curds as long as fresh (fried or not)
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Got a shipment of Ethernet cables today for a project at work. I didn't realize that there was going to be nearly 130 lbs of cable given that they were coming in lengths of 50 ft or less. I was going to go over to the dock to pick them up thinking a medium box. It was good for a laugh in our weekly project meeting.

"Hey dxmnkd316, did those Ethernet cables come in yet?"
                                "Oh yeah, I meant to talk to you about that. You know you had me buy almost 130 lbs of Ethernet cables right?"
                                Half the call-ins did a spit take.

Need humor.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X