Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Cause. People using "cause" in place of "because" because they're too lazy to type out the full word. They're two different words and they have two different meanings. Friggin' internet.
    Would 'cause be acceptable?

They ignore ridicule & fight; I win

Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    The GPA requirements alone for some of these positions has become absurd. I have always hated GPA as the primary measure of the person. I get you have to cut, but it's a terrible way to make the first cut.
    People who hire want experience. When you don't have anything to go on there, you have to turn to GPA. It's pretty sad, I'll agree, but how else do you judge an entry level?
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

lubba wubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Would 'cause be acceptable?
    I don't like it, but it doesn't irritate me.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

RING!
    Me: "Hello?"
    Them: "Hello. I'm from ______ and this call is recorded."
    Me: "I do not want this call to be recorded."

Ok, if I do not give my consent, they have to turn off the recorder, right? Are there penalties if they don't?
    They do not have to turn it off. Same reason why charges of cops being recorded get thrown out in court.

I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.

Depends on the state...
    Even dual-consents are starting to get overturned by federal courts. Just look at the cases where people film cops.

Kichizapi Chetan

The Senate overrode a veto today by 97-1. The missing two votes? Sanders and Kaine. They were out campaigning for Clinton.

This grinds my gears (and I've complained the same in ND state politics against both parties):

I'm tired of elected officials getting a paycheck, but not doing their job, instead being out on the campaign trail for themself or others.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

North Dakota Hockey:

RING!
    Me: "Hello?"
    Them: "Hello. I'm from ______ and this call is recorded."
    Me: "I do not want this call to be recorded."

if I do not give my consent, they have to turn off the recorder, right?
    11 states require 2-party consent. They don't have to call you on a non-recorded line but you can terminate the call if you want (or they will after you've notified them). But why would you want them to not record? It's for your protection more than their own.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    The Senate overrode a veto today by 97-1. The missing two votes? Sanders and Kaine. They were out campaigning for Clinton.

This grinds my gears (and I've complained the same in ND state politics against both parties):

I'm tired of elected officials getting a paycheck, but not doing their job, instead being out on the campaign trail for themself or others.
    "I was too busy trying to keep my job that I forgot to do my job." -- The American President

Cause. People using "cause" in place of "because" because they're too lazy to type out the full word. They're two different words and they have two different meanings. Friggin' internet.
    why?

'cuz
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

Our battery-powered cart pushing assistant has two issues that grind my gears:

1. The power doesn't turn off when you turn the key off. Had to help a member with a carry-out today, and the battery drained out.
    2. And the battery has a "memory" as you say. Doesn't even last an hour between chargings.
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Our battery-powered cart pushing assistant has two issues that grind my gears:

1. The power doesn't turn off when you turn the key off. Had to help a member with a carry-out today, and the battery drained out.
    2. And the battery has a "memory" as you say. Doesn't even last an hour between chargings.
    Certainly grinds my gears when it comes to newer electronics: It's never actually "off", it's in "standby". If you want it off, you have to physically disconnect power.

Just out of curiosity, how old is that battery? They usually aren't able to keep a charge after a couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Certainly grinds my gears when it comes to newer electronics: It's never actually "off", it's in "standby". If you want it off, you have to physically disconnect power.

Just out of curiosity, how old is that battery? They usually aren't able to keep a charge after a couple years.
    Less than a year. Our old "mule" never had this problem.
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

lubba wubba dub dub

Name the devices, please. I know TVs have the option of either being turned off completely or keeping a small trickle of power to keep the screen warm so that a picture will generate more quickly than it otherwise would from a cold start. Anything operated with a remote controller will have a small power draw to its controlling sensor, but that's so very minuscule that it's hardly worth mentioning, unless that nickel a month is going to bust your budget.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Name the devices, please. I know TVs have the option of either being turned off completely or keeping a small trickle of power to keep the screen warm so that a picture will generate more quickly than it otherwise would from a cold start. Anything operated with a remote controller will have a small power draw to its controlling sensor, but that's so very minuscule that it's hardly worth mentioning, unless that nickel a month is going to bust your budget.
    Well how about we start with any cable box that was made in the 21st century. Where's the power switch on your modem, too? Cell phones are the same way, especially if you have an alarm clock running on it. Sure, computers have a CMOS battery for the clock, but I'm pretty sure cell phones have more running than that. And I'm not even going to get into the "conspiracy" stuff either. Measure the amperage on these sorts of things when they're "off". You'd be surprised to see what sort of power they're actually drawing.

lubba wubba dub dub

Well how about we start with any cable box that was made in the 21st century. Where's the power switch on your modem, too? Cell phones are the same way, especially if you have an alarm clock running on it. Sure, computers have a CMOS battery for the clock, but I'm pretty sure cell phones have more running than that. And I'm not even going to get into the "conspiracy" stuff either. Measure the amperage on these sorts of things when they're "off". You'd be surprised to see what sort of power they're actually drawing.
    The modem and cell phone are two devices that people want to have on - available - 24/7, as is my wi-fi router. Name a device where people haven't created a demand for such easy access. Microwaves are on at all times, so is my oven. (They both contain clocks - just like our cellphones.) We don't create electrical devices that continuously draw power without some reason behind them. I have the option of turning off my PC, be it laptop or desktop, and they will still show some amperage reads. The laptop will likely be drawing off its battery ever so slightly, and both contain capacitors that will draw power for a period due to the nature of a capacitor.

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

You forgot about Stereos and Game consoles
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    You forgot about Stereos and Game consoles
    By no means was the list conclusive; the person asked for examples.

All the microsoft updates are grinding my gears. Looooong installation. Most recent has flipped this site to mobile setting on Chrome which sucks. They did this once before and I can't remember how I fixed it. FIrefox is your friend.

lubba wubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    All the microsoft updates are grinding my gears. Looooong installation. Most recent has flipped this site to mobile setting on Chrome which sucks. They did this once before and I can't remember how I fixed it. FIrefox is your friend.
    There was a big patch that came through recently, and some ancillary ones for various reasons that I don't recall. That said, I've never had a browser switch up the site like that. It's weird how these things all interact when you have different applications loaded on PCs, tough to fully predict the outcome.

There was a big patch that came through recently, and some ancillary ones for various reasons that I don't recall. That said, I've never had a browser switch up the site like that. It's weird how these things all interact when you have different applications loaded on PCs, tough to fully predict the outcome.
    Yeah it didn't affect my browser either.

Thread Information