Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

I'm only going to say this once. Black Friday is not a holiday.

Comment

I don't know which I'm looking more forward to... the zombies fighting, or trolling the zombies about how they'd rather rack up credit card debt than be with family, while they spend time away from their families doing so.
      Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 11-24-2016, 11:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        I don't know which I'm looking more forward to... the zombies fighting, or trolling the zombies about how they'd rather rack up credit card debt than be with family, while they spend time away from their families doing so.
        I went out once maybe 10 years ago shopping for a GPS that was in the stock according to the computer, but was gone when I got there.

I Amazon now.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by jen View Post
          I still get paid like it's one...
          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
            Piggybacking on that:

Your store staying closed on Thanksgiving does not make you heroes. Stop patting yourself on the back because of it.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              Piggybacking on that:

Your store staying closed on Thanksgiving does not make you heroes. Stop patting yourself on the back because of it.
              Chains advertise that fact to get the indignant people to shop at their stores come Friday morning. Don't shop with the bad people's stores, shop at our good people's stores! Stores for people like you.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                Chains advertise that fact to get the indignant people to shop at their stores come Friday morning. Don't shop with the bad people's stores, shop at our good people's stores! Stores for people like you.
                Exactly. It's all marketing. That being said, I don't shop on Fri, minus beer (Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout comes out on Black Friday, and it'll be gone within the hour, usually).
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                  I still get paid like it's one...
                  Me too.
                  Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                  Originally posted by Quizmire
                  mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                  MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                  MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                  I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    Then there was JC Penney who won't try to fool you and proudly advertised they were opening at 3pm Thanksgiving Day.
                    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

When I was in college (95-99), I recall that K-Mart had employees in their stores on Thanksgiving Day. I don't recall if the stores were open for business or if it was all prep for the Friday Crush, but they absolutely had staff in their stores. A family friend worked for them back then, and my parents hosted their family with the whole of our own, and his mother would bemoan that her son was stuck in the store working that day. That differed from my retail jobs, where we would prep for Friday by working late on Wednesday night.

Really, not much has changed for retail employees at many large chains. The difference now is that the consumers can now enter the stores... and likely a few more employees in the stores than 20 years ago.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        When I was in college (95-99), I recall that K-Mart had employees in their stores on Thanksgiving Day. I don't recall if the stores were open for business or if it was all prep for the Friday Crush, but they absolutely had staff in their stores. A family friend worked for them back then, and my parents hosted their family with the whole of our own, and his mother would bemoan that her son was stuck in the store working that day. That differed from my retail jobs, where we would prep for Friday by working late on Wednesday night.

Really, not much has changed for retail employees at many large chains. The difference now is that the consumers can now enter the stores... and likely a few more employees in the stores than 20 years ago.
                        There were employees, but it was a skeleton crew usually consisting of the overnight stock team, and people who volunteered. Not even close to the amount working presently.
                        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                        Originally posted by Quizmire
                        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                          There were employees, but it was a skeleton crew usually consisting of the overnight stock team, and people who volunteered. Not even close to the amount working presently.
                          I remember when it was controversial to work on T-Day at all if you weren't essential personnel.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                            I remember when it was controversial to work on T-Day at all if you weren't essential personnel.
                            Ahhh, the good ol' days...
                            Quinnipiac Bobcats
                            2023 National Champions
                            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                            ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                            East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                            Northeast Regional:
                            West Regional: 2015, 2021
                            Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                            Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                              Ahhh, the good ol' days...
                              oui

Comment

The fact that the spam threads keep popping up...good lord.

We should bring back the thread where people created posts based off of various thread titles. (mashing them together) We could have a lot of fun with that now
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X