Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 38394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 941 to 960 of 988

Thread: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

  1. #941
    Defacing this tagline is a MAX foul Twitch Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Shouting it from the Chugach Mountains
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    For us, it was "Home and Careers". Gotta love PC...

    Oh, and "shop" was gone by then. Again, budget cuts, but it's a Title I school.
    Life Skills here. Personal care, sewing, cooking, and money management. Teacher was awesome (let us play Quake on the classroom LAN during lunch) but the curriculum seemed like a holdover from older days and an afterthought. Fewer dittos asking if buying pork tenderloin is a good use of money (well, you gotta eat SOMETHING.) More teaching us how to navigate a mortgage or do our taxes.

    Shop was Applied Tech - there was a nice early CNC lathe if you wanted, but basically an excuse to come into the computer lab and play SimFarm and The Incredible Machine for an hour.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: Drink It In, Maaaaaan.
    Twitter Goodness: Twitch_Boy

  2. #942
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    40,435

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Twitch Boy View Post
    Life Skills here. Personal care, sewing, cooking, and money management. Teacher was awesome (let us play Quake on the classroom LAN during lunch) but the curriculum seemed like a holdover from older days and an afterthought. Fewer dittos asking if buying pork tenderloin is a good use of money (well, you gotta eat SOMETHING.) More teaching us how to navigate a mortgage or do our taxes.

    Shop was Applied Tech - there was a nice early CNC lathe if you wanted, but basically an excuse to come into the computer lab and play SimFarm and The Incredible Machine for an hour.
    Doing taxes would be a great life skill to teach in a government or economics class. Granted, I could figure it out doing a little RT*M, and I was in an economics class in college that taught it. Of course, I'm sure H&R Block would lobby against it for the public school system...

    Basic plumbing also would have been a great thing to learn, and something I wish I knew now.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  3. #943
    We'll be back. Hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Shopping for a defenseman to replace Lidstrom
    Posts
    35,763

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Twitch Boy View Post
    Life Skills here. Personal care, sewing, cooking, and money management. Teacher was awesome (let us play Quake on the classroom LAN during lunch) but the curriculum seemed like a holdover from older days and an afterthought. Fewer dittos asking if buying pork tenderloin is a good use of money (well, you gotta eat SOMETHING.) More teaching us how to navigate a mortgage or do our taxes.

    Shop was Applied Tech - there was a nice early CNC lathe if you wanted, but basically an excuse to come into the computer lab and play SimFarm and The Incredible Machine for an hour.
    We had a few shop classes:

    1) I forget the official name of the one I took our freshman year. We just called it "Woods". It was basically an excuse to saw things in half and fight. I swear, if there was one fight per week, it was a very calm week.

    2) There was an advanced shop class we called "Advanced Woods". I don't know of anybody who took that class.

    3) You could also take a class called "Powers & Metals". Translation: a class for stoners to work on their cars and raise hell with each other, since clearly none of them were going anywhere or doing anything with themselves after graduation (a theory later more or less proven correct). This class basically got the D- ****-ups of the school away from the rest of us for the better part of an hour.

    I forget the name of our Home Ec class. I do know that the teacher got really ****ed off when I called it "Home Ec" in front of her.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR


    God, that was fun...

  4. #944
    We'll be back. Hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Shopping for a defenseman to replace Lidstrom
    Posts
    35,763

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Doing taxes would be a great life skill to teach in a government or economics class. Granted, I could figure it out doing a little RT*M, and I was in an economics class in college that taught it. Of course, I'm sure H&R Block would lobby against it for the public school system...

    Basic plumbing also would have been a great thing to learn, and something I wish I knew now.
    We had three classes where taxes were discussed. We had a "General Business" class, where it was talked about a little bit. Then later we had another business class, I want to call it "Business Law/Personal Finance", where we got more into depth. Then, our senior year, our American Government class talked about it a bit, too. Our teacher (who was absolutely TREMENDOUS) split the curriculum into three pieces: 1) Your typical government & civics, 2) Current events, and 3) Practical education, like the very basics of a job interview, buying a car/house, insurance, taxes, etc.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR


    God, that was fun...

  5. #945
    lubba wubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    29,039

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    I took industrial tech as a high school freshman, fall of '91. It was basically woodworking, and the big project was to build a wall clock. A kid shot me in the leg with a nail gun. That was the last time we saw that kid in school.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  6. #946
    Defacing this tagline is a MAX foul Twitch Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Shouting it from the Chugach Mountains
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Doing taxes would be a great life skill to teach in a government or economics class. Granted, I could figure it out doing a little RT*M, and I was in an economics class in college that taught it. Of course, I'm sure H&R Block would lobby against it for the public school system...

    Basic plumbing also would have been a great thing to learn, and something I wish I knew now.
    I never was a hands-on sort growing up, and I really wish I had those skills now. A low-risk environment where I could futz around with household level plumbing, circuitry, HVAC, etc. and learn a few basics without breaking anything or maiming myself would have instilled quite a bit of confidence. (The other hurdle is I rolled a 3 in DEX, but that's neither here nor there.)

    Basic around-the-house level electrical/circuitry/HVAC work would be freakin' awesome, but you'd NEVER get the admin to sign off on it for fear of someone getting zapped.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: Drink It In, Maaaaaan.
    Twitter Goodness: Twitch_Boy

  7. #947
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    40,435

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Twitch Boy View Post
    I never was a hands-on sort growing up, and I really wish I had those skills now. A low-risk environment where I could futz around with household level plumbing, circuitry, HVAC, etc. and learn a few basics without breaking anything or maiming myself would have instilled quite a bit of confidence. (The other hurdle is I rolled a 3 in DEX, but that's neither here nor there.)

    Basic around-the-house level electrical/circuitry/HVAC work would be freakin' awesome, but you'd NEVER get the admin to sign off on it for fear of someone getting zapped.
    That last part is definitely the biggest hurdle for anything Home Ec or Shop related, especially considering insurance and a sue-happy society.

    Sadly, a lot of these things have been sent to the vocational school system (BOCES as it's called in NYS). I believe Hammer had a term for those that would normally go, but the sad thing is that they're probably better off with in-demand blue collar employment than those of us who wasted thousands on college, especially those who received what amounts to a worthless degree for their trouble.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  8. #948
    We'll be back. Hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Shopping for a defenseman to replace Lidstrom
    Posts
    35,763

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Sadly, a lot of these things have been sent to the vocational school system (BOCES as it's called in NYS). I believe Hammer had a term for those that would normally go, but the sad thing is that they're probably better off with in-demand blue collar employment than those of us who wasted thousands on college, especially those who received what amounts to a worthless degree for their trouble.
    No. The guys I was referring to had NO interest in learning ANYTHING. The Powers/Metals class, as well as vocational school system (we had something similar called Vo-Tec) were simply something to keep these clowns out of jail, with lunch time being used for most of them to see just how many Marlboros and Camels they could inhale in 35 minutes or less, while throwing rocks at semis (true stories, both of them). Most of them are pushing a broom somewhere today, because that's all they were interested in learning. Sadly, the guys that actually used anything they learned in those classes after graduation were few and far between.

    I do agree that vocational schools, when used properly, are EXCELLENT choices for those interested in doing something along those lines that have no interest in college.
    Last edited by Hammer; 07-07-2017 at 07:48 PM.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR


    God, that was fun...

  9. #949
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    20,684

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    We had to take a couple of wood shop classes and a plastics class. Part of me wishes I had taken a real shop class where you learned to work on cars. But I'm glad I took extra math classes in the end. We had one or two Home Ec classes in middle school where we learned basic cooking skills and basic home skills like sewing. (I still have that pillow. Great quality!)

    The only skills I've retained or grown are cooking and basic home repair like installing a light switch, replacing and repairing PVC pipe, etc.

  10. #950
    NEVER DIE! ShirtlessBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop
    Posts
    37,496

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Overtime at work yesterday:

    -Arrived at 2:30, as was required. Punch was rejected.
    -Got to my department, and only found ONE tank.
    -Went on a search for more tanks to clean. Found about 18 of them.
    -Had to find someone to bring us these tanks, as my coworker and I don't have HILO licenses.

    Basically, the gear grinder here is that it took about two hours for us to get going. Had those tanks been in the room at 2:30, we would have been out of there in an hour and a half.
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

  11. #951
    NEVER DIE! ShirtlessBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop
    Posts
    37,496

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    The fact that political discussion in this country has gone from the Lincoln-Douglas debates to:

    A: Derp durr... Trump is the greatest!
    B: You are so wrong. You're an *******.
    A: I'm an *******? You're an *******, pal!
    B: Whatever.
    C: LOUD NOISES!
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

  12. #952
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    40,435

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    The fact that political discussion in this country has gone from the Lincoln-Douglas debates to:

    A: Derp durr... Trump is the greatest!
    B: You are so wrong. You're an *******.
    A: I'm an *******? You're an *******, pal!
    B: Whatever.
    C: LOUD NOISES!
    And then once you think you've made progress with finding some common ground and making advancements that both sides can agree on, some idiot just has to ruin it with a talking point, and you're back to exactly what was quoted.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  13. #953
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    5,709

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    We had to take a couple of wood shop classes and a plastics class. Part of me wishes I had taken a real shop class where you learned to work on cars. But I'm glad I took extra math classes in the end. We had one or two Home Ec classes in middle school where we learned basic cooking skills and basic home skills like sewing. (I still have that pillow. Great quality!)

    The only skills I've retained or grown are cooking and basic home repair like installing a light switch, replacing and repairing PVC pipe, etc.
    Our shop classes were great. We learned how to weld and were actually required to fabricate an item we designed using metal we welded together. We learned how to make fiberglass products, and again each student had to design and construct a fiberglass project.

    I received my final grade in that class 40 years ago. I have never once welded something or created any fiberglass since. What I really learned in that class was I had no interest at all in spending my day welding or making fiberglass repairs. That's why that class was excellent.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  14. #954
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    20,684

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    What I really learned in that class was I had no interest at all in spending my day welding or making fiberglass repairs. That's why that class was excellent.
    Great point. Learning what you don't like is just as important as learning what you do.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

  15. #955
    DYKWIA? FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    24,634
    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    And then once you think you've made progress with finding some common ground and making advancements that both sides can agree on, some idiot just has to ruin it with a talking point, and you're back to exactly what was quoted.
    Yeah, I can't imagine who would be guilty of spewing inflammatory "talking points" around here...

  16. #956
    Veteran leswp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    27,497

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Yeah, I can't imagine who would be guilty of spewing inflammatory "talking points" around here...
    heh.

  17. #957
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    17,609

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Great grinding: Credit card rewards options that make no sense.

    I have a Visa that gives me, among other things, 5% back for Amazon purchases. I can use the points for a statement credit (essentially cash), or gift cards, or use them directly on Amazon. None of the options have more favorable terms than the other (ie 100 points = $1 whether put towards a gift card, used directly at Amazon, or turned into a statement credit).

    Why the hell would I ever use them at Amazon, when I could charge the purchase, get the 5% in points, then use the points I otherwise would've "spent" as a statement credit.

  18. #958

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    50,776

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Great point. Learning what you don't like is just as important as learning what you do.
    My biology classes must have been my most valuable, then. They taught me that it's possible for a science to be utterly uninteresting.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  19. #959

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    20,470
    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    Great grinding: Credit card rewards options that make no sense.

    I have a Visa that gives me, among other things, 5% back for Amazon purchases. I can use the points for a statement credit (essentially cash), or gift cards, or use them directly on Amazon. None of the options have more favorable terms than the other (ie 100 points = $1 whether put towards a gift card, used directly at Amazon, or turned into a statement credit).

    Why the hell would I ever use them at Amazon, when I could charge the purchase, get the 5% in points, then use the points I otherwise would've "spent" as a statement credit.
    Depending on how large your purchase is at Amazon, you could redeem the value of points and pay for the remainder of the purchase on the charge card?


    Reminds me of a guy I used to work with who really wanted a flight from points. So he used his air miles card to purchase gift cards from Sam's Club (or wherever) earning miles. He then used the gift cards to pay off his credit card bill. Lather, rinse, repeat, until he got enough miles.

  20. #960
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    8,302

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    We had to take a couple of wood shop classes and a plastics class. Part of me wishes I had taken a real shop class where you learned to work on cars. But I'm glad I took extra math classes in the end. We had one or two Home Ec classes in middle school where we learned basic cooking skills and basic home skills like sewing. (I still have that pillow. Great quality!)

    The only skills I've retained or grown are cooking and basic home repair like installing a light switch, replacing and repairing PVC pipe, etc.
    In theory, you learned how to learn. So get a welder, and make it work.

    I managed to talk my wife into getting me a welder for my birthday. Took me a few years to get up the courage to use it. But I learned quickly, and now have no problem doing body repair on my cars. Other than the total lack of motivation to do it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •