Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I think you could still write a book, Bob - one about your recovery from obesity and anorexia. There are a ton of books about people who quit booze and/or drugs, but in my observation, there are far fewer people who write about food/weight issues.
    You have a point. Now to find a publisher?
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
      You have a point. Now to find a publisher?
      You're probably going to need something to show a publisher before you talk with a publisher.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        You're probably going to need something to show a publisher before you talk with a publisher.
        So I'll start writing, then.
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

So I'll start writing, then.
          But if there's one thing I want to make abundantly clear.... this is a memoir, not a how-to. Because I can't honestly recommend anyone do the things I did to lose it, or to fall into a very personal hell.

Comment

But if there's one thing I want to make abundantly clear.... this is a memoir, not a how-to. Because I can't honestly recommend anyone do the things I did to lose it, or to fall into a very personal hell.
            That is how recovery stories are written. What you will do for a first draft is write what AA calls a "drunk-alog" - how it started, where it progressed to, how you finally got out. However, it will be focused on your particular emotional/food issues, and if you hope to get it published, then you'll try to write it with an eye towards the dark humor in the whole situation. So, if you've got stories about sneaking food that in hindsight are really silly, or crazy obsessions about the precise amount of calories you were eating during your anorexic phase, or relapse fantasy dreams during sleep, those are the kinds of things a similar audience wants identify with.

I'm sure that you're aware that getting published is quite difficult. So, you could easily work on this for a few years, and in the end it may end up being just a personal exercise for you, but perhaps you can see enough value in that to proceed for the time being.

If you get to a point where you need someone to proofread/advise a manuscript, let me know. I'd be happy to give it a try.

Comment

There are several fairly decent options for self-publication these days as well. Sometimes, a commercial publisher will find something there and make an offer to take it more broadly.

Another option is to serialize it and publish in installments on a blog.
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

So there will be a Mayweather-McGregor fight.

If it's anything like Mayweather-Pacquiao, it will be 10-15 minutes of hugging, running around the octagon, and MAYBE a punch thrown here and there.

Comment

So there will be a Mayweather-McGregor fight.

If it's anything like Mayweather-Pacquiao, it will be 10-15 minutes of hugging, running around the octagon, and MAYBE a punch thrown here and there.
                  Nope. It's under boxing rules - 10 oz gloves at 154 pounds. So 36 minutes of hugging, running around the ring, and MAYBE a punch thrown here and there.

Can't blame 'em - the fight will be a joke, but they both make $Texas for minimal effort. Floyd just has to dance around him for 12 rounds, get his hand raised, collect a paycheck, and saunter back to retirement. Conor has nothing left to prove and is set for life after this one win or lose, he can do whatever he wants with his career.
                  Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                    Nope. It's under boxing rules - 10 oz gloves at 154 pounds. So 36 minutes of hugging, running around the ring, and MAYBE a punch thrown here and there.

Can't blame 'em - the fight will be a joke, but they both make $Texas for minimal effort. Floyd just has to dance around him for 12 rounds, get his hand raised, collect a paycheck, and saunter back to retirement. Conor has nothing left to prove and is set for life after this one win or lose, he can do whatever he wants with his career.
                    And all of this for the low, low price of what? $200 on PPV?

Comment

Always amazed that people watch this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post

Under boxing rules, Floyd will just punch him out. McGregor's skill set is limited in this fashion of a fight. Floyd is specialized in this fashion of a fight.

And eff the PPV. I'll just head to the local watering hole (whichever one has it) and pay the $5 for the beer I'll have, which will outlast the fight time.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Floyd hasn't knocked anybody out in 6 years, and he's only had 2 KO's over the last decade. He'll land 3 punches per round and then run and hide like a ***** for 2:30 of each round.

It's going to be like what I read on Twitter: they're going to hug each other to death over 12 rounds in August.
                          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                            Floyd hasn't knocked anybody out in 6 years, and he's only had 2 KO's over the last decade. He'll land 3 punches per round and then run and hide like a ***** for 2:30 of each round.

It's going to be like what I read on Twitter: they're going to hug each other to death over 12 rounds in August.
                            Know what I want to see? Alternating rounds of MMA/boxing. And......go.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              I'd like see McGregor catch him flush on the chin, just to see Mayweather hit the canvas like a sack of wet cement, but I don't think I'm gonna get that, either.
                              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                Saw an idea on Reddit: 9 rounds of boxing...round 10 onward is MMA. That way Floyd has to go for the KO, or get himself ground-and-pounded in the 10th.

Conor's got nothing to lose. 99.9 percent chance he loses, whoop dee doo, he lost a boxing match to a GOAT-tier boxer, he gets paid 20 times anything he'd ever make in UFC, and rides off into the sunset. 0.1 percent chance he gets a lucky left in early and KOs the dude...he's an instant combat sports legend.

I think Conor says eff it and goes crazy looking for a lucky KO for about the first 2 rounds, then runs out of cardio, says "oh well, I tried" and turtles up. Mayweather dances the Macarena around him for the last 10 rounds and takes it to the scorecards. Everyone gets paid.
                                Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Working...
                                X