Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    The school likely doesn't force Home Economics as a class anymore. If it's offered at all, it's offered as an elective. When I had home ec. in middle school, it focused on sewing and cooking, no clothes were washed. Also, every washer/dryer is different, so teaching kids on Model X doesn't necessarily translate over toe Model Y.
    Home Ec is out of a lot of school systems now and sadly it is more needed than ever. When I was a kid it was Home Economics and the purpose was how to run a home- we learned all the housewifey things- cooking, nutritious meals, how to shop, look for produce/quality foods, sales. How to sew, mend, darn, repair damaged clothes, do laundry, deal with stains etc. How to make a budget. Not in depth but rudimentary logic. Girls took that and boys took IA- Industrial Arts- basically the boy version of how to be a hubby- mostly how to do woodworking, handle tools.

These are things that used to be passed down between generations but are now lost. For those of us who learned them we think nothing of it. At work a few yrs ago someone started talking about how the heating bills were up and we started talking about things like plastic on windows, blankets on doors and the 'younger generation' had never heard of it or seen it. Made us realize that with everything automated, gadgets, gizmos and things being sold for very specific purposes/being told you need to hire someone to do plumbing, electrics, fix cars that basic stuff was not basic to them. Same thing when I dealt with pts who were young and out on their own- basic things like shopping generic, finding things that were marked down, hanging laundry after dewrinkling- all news to them. It wasn't like they were too lazy. They were willing. They just had never seen anyone do stuff like that.

Comment

In middle school we took both Home Ec (we called it Living Skills) and Industrial Arts.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        In middle school we took both Home Ec (we called it Living Skills) and Industrial Arts.
        We did too. I always thought it was funny that our IA teacher was one of those guys with four of his fingers cut off at one of the lower knuckles.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Yeah, we did too, but it didn't cover some of the stuff les was describing.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Ask around some of the younger generation. It is amazing what they haven't been exposed to- with everything being marketed- no one is supposed to be self sufficient. In our blue collar town to say you have 'made it' you etc you aren't supposed to do anything for yourself- everything is farmed out. When I was a kid my dad did all his own plumbing, electric, woodworking, laid the cement driveways, etc. I thought that was how everyone lived. mr les family hired people to do everything. He has no interest in any of that. My bro learned some from my Dad but I was a girl so the only thing I learned was how to take care of a car. lil les is knows none of it. My Dad doesn't do kids so he never showed him and mr les has no idea. I know the basics but not enough to be safe

Comment

My ex-gf was actually surprised I knew to take the lint filter out of the dryer to clean it after every dryer cycle. I'm a *mumble* year old man! I know how to wash my own clothes, thank you. (Actually I thought it was funny that she was surprised)
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Someone remind me to have a date that night.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...politicon.html

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                  I think schools should teach nutrition, but teaching a kid how to use a ****ing washing machine? come on! It isn't rocket science. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I did my own laundry when I lived at home and I don't think I was "taught" how to do it, but it wasn't too hard to figure out when I needed to do it myself.
                  Well evidently it's difficult for some. Heck, maybe even something you learn around 5th grade? Or are there laws about machines with moving parts?

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    The school likely doesn't force Home Economics as a class anymore. If it's offered at all, it's offered as an elective. When I had home ec. in middle school, it focused on sewing and cooking, no clothes were washed. Also, every washer/dryer is different, so teaching kids on Model X doesn't necessarily translate over toe Model Y.
                    Obviously you're not going to base a test on what specific buttons to push, but you could at least focus on some of the basics, such as where the detergent goes relative to clothes when there's no "compartment", what happens when you mix whites and colors, what do fabric softener and bleach do, what happens when the dryer is set too high and/or too long...

In the public school where I grew up, it was required for middle school. One big issue with a lot of schools is budgeting though, and between keeping a football team and teaching kids how to do things around the house, they depend on that football revenue, so guess what goes.

Comment

For us, it was "Home and Careers". Gotta love PC...

Oh, and "shop" was gone by then. Again, budget cuts, but it's a Title I school.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        For us, it was "Home and Careers". Gotta love PC...

Oh, and "shop" was gone by then. Again, budget cuts, but it's a Title I school.
                        Life Skills here. Personal care, sewing, cooking, and money management. Teacher was awesome (let us play Quake on the classroom LAN during lunch) but the curriculum seemed like a holdover from older days and an afterthought. Fewer dittos asking if buying pork tenderloin is a good use of money (well, you gotta eat SOMETHING.) More teaching us how to navigate a mortgage or do our taxes.

Shop was Applied Tech - there was a nice early CNC lathe if you wanted, but basically an excuse to come into the computer lab and play SimFarm and The Incredible Machine for an hour.
                        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                          Life Skills here. Personal care, sewing, cooking, and money management. Teacher was awesome (let us play Quake on the classroom LAN during lunch) but the curriculum seemed like a holdover from older days and an afterthought. Fewer dittos asking if buying pork tenderloin is a good use of money (well, you gotta eat SOMETHING.) More teaching us how to navigate a mortgage or do our taxes.

Shop was Applied Tech - there was a nice early CNC lathe if you wanted, but basically an excuse to come into the computer lab and play SimFarm and The Incredible Machine for an hour.
                          Doing taxes would be a great life skill to teach in a government or economics class. Granted, I could figure it out doing a little RT*M, and I was in an economics class in college that taught it. Of course, I'm sure H&R Block would lobby against it for the public school system...

Basic plumbing also would have been a great thing to learn, and something I wish I knew now.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post

We had a few shop classes:

1) I forget the official name of the one I took our freshman year. We just called it "Woods". It was basically an excuse to saw things in half and fight. I swear, if there was one fight per week, it was a very calm week.

2) There was an advanced shop class we called "Advanced Woods". I don't know of anybody who took that class.

3) You could also take a class called "Powers & Metals". Translation: a class for stoners to work on their cars and raise hell with each other, since clearly none of them were going anywhere or doing anything with themselves after graduation (a theory later more or less proven correct). This class basically got the D- ****-ups of the school away from the rest of us for the better part of an hour.

I forget the name of our Home Ec class. I do know that the teacher got really ****ed off when I called it "Home Ec" in front of her.
                            FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              Doing taxes would be a great life skill to teach in a government or economics class. Granted, I could figure it out doing a little RT*M, and I was in an economics class in college that taught it. Of course, I'm sure H&R Block would lobby against it for the public school system...

Basic plumbing also would have been a great thing to learn, and something I wish I knew now.
                              We had three classes where taxes were discussed. We had a "General Business" class, where it was talked about a little bit. Then later we had another business class, I want to call it "Business Law/Personal Finance", where we got more into depth. Then, our senior year, our American Government class talked about it a bit, too. Our teacher (who was absolutely TREMENDOUS) split the curriculum into three pieces: 1) Your typical government & civics, 2) Current events, and 3) Practical education, like the very basics of a job interview, buying a car/house, insurance, taxes, etc.
                              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

I took industrial tech as a high school freshman, fall of '91. It was basically woodworking, and the big project was to build a wall clock. A kid shot me in the leg with a nail gun. That was the last time we saw that kid in school.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X