Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

People who do not know how and when to use bcc on a mass communication.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      That happens even at supermarkets that have the corrals (in MI, virtually all of ours do). Americans are depressingly lazy fcks.
      Thank you for returning your cart, Joe.

As a cart collector/lot attendant at Sam's Club, I get to clean up after the depressingly lazy. People will leave their carts anywhere but the corral. Also, people don't throw their trash away in the store either. I've had to throw away dirty diapers, pop cups, samples...
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

But seriously, what kind of idiotic store doesn't have cart corrals? Isn't that just asking for these issues to happen? At some point you have to realize that people are selfish and lazy and do something to try to at least improve the situation.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          But seriously, what kind of idiotic store doesn't have cart corrals? Isn't that just asking for these issues to happen? At some point you have to realize that people are selfish and lazy and do something to try to at least improve the situation.
          There are inner city stores that don't have enough real estate to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            My pet peeve. My local supermarket does not have shoppin cart corrals, so you think that people would return their cart to the front of the store.

Not a chance. Just put them in the middle of parking spaces, against the grass or other places that will F up the flow of cars. JEEBERS!! Can't you walk 60 feet or less and return the cart you lazy ********!

I make it a point to bring at least one cart back when I go in to shop and return my cart when I'm done. Maybe my example and the others who do the same thing will inspire the asshats to do the right thing.

I'm not optimistic.
            Many supermarkets used to hire enough kids so that some of them could act as "carry-outs" who would push the cart out, help you load the bags into your car, and then bring the cart back. Now, most supermarkets don't even hire enough people to have a bagger at each register.

This is what we get when we bow down to the almighty God of Cheaper Prices.
            I went home with a waitress the way I always do
            How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
              Many supermarkets used to hire enough kids so that some of them could act as "carry-outs" who would push the cart out, help you load the bags into your car, and then bring the cart back. Now, most supermarkets don't even hire enough people to have a bagger at each register.

Cheaper prices means it's easier for more people to eat. Don't knock the prices, especially with so many people struggling to purchase enough food to feed their families.

This is entirely on people who are either too lazy or view their lives as being too rushed to bother giving consideration to others.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

most supermarkets don't even hire enough people to have a bagger at each register.
                which sometimes actually is a blessing; as many of the baggers they do have don't seem to have enough sense not to put the 64 oz canned goods on top of the loaf of bread.....

I actually prefer to bag myself; I will organize all the frozen food together on the checkout belt, for example, so that I can then put it all in the same bag(s), which makes it much easier to unload and put away at home.

What I dislike most about grocery shopping is the multitude of times to lift and put down the same item.
                -- off the shelf into the cart
                -- out of the cart onto the belt
                -- off the belt into the bag
                -- bag back into cart
                -- bag into the trunk
                -- from the trunk to the counter
                -- out of the bag into the refrigerator/freezer/pantry.

As St. Clown says, thank goodness for lower prices overall. I am truly amazed that a 5 pound bag of potatoes is about $3.50: someone planted the seeds, tended the crops, harvested them, packaged them, shipped them, put them onto shelves, and scanned them at checkout, and every step along the way someone made a profit. That is truly miraculous, IMHO.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

That's part of my description at Sam's Club. For example, if a member needs help lifting a case of water or bag of dog food, I get called over to help. I've also helped lift grills, mattresses, Christmas trees, etc.
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    Cheaper prices means it's easier for more people to eat. Don't knock the prices, especially with so many people struggling to purchase enough food to feed their families.

This is entirely on people who are either too lazy or view their lives as being too rushed to bother giving consideration to others.
                    In a word, no. We're talking affluent people saving a few bucks at most.

Whichever supermarket you went to had plenty of checkout lanes open, each with a cashier and a bagger, and almost as many carry-outs, who would help do the bagging. Your groceries were already in the cart by the time you got done paying, unlike today when you get to help bag them, or do it yourself sometimes. And even if you pushed your own cart out, the carry-outs were in the parking lot often enough that one of them would take it back for you.

Then Sam's Club opened. And Costco and BJ's. And yes, the prices were lower and people went there, and that's fine but there was a cost whether people recognized it or not. The supermarkets had to scale down their staff to compete, and now you get to wait around while someone, maybe, bags your groceries and the groceries on the next lane. You get to wait in longer lines. You get to wait longer at the deli counter. You get to avoid carts in the parking lot.

All hidden costs of getting a better price.

None of this did much to help the truly in need. I volunteer for a couple of local food security programs and even the wholesale clubs are out of reach of people who are literally going hungry as opposed to people who are on a budget but still getting by.

The VAST majority of people who opted for the wholesalers could afford the supermarkets, they just wanted to save a few bucks, literally. And that's fine, but understand the choices you're making, even if you don't know you're making them at first.
                    I went home with a waitress the way I always do
                    How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

• Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

We still have a chain of full-service grocery stores in town. We know that for which we're paying and what we're not. People inherently understand why one shop is cheaper in price than another. If you walk into an Aldi's, you know how they keep their prices so much lower than Target and Wal-Mart - it's all right there in their product displays and brand names, or lack thereof.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I don't want some dam kid bagging my groceries. They end up packing them in six bags when one or two will suffice. It's the worst.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          Not if you put in one of those devices where you put in a quarter to get the cart, and then get it back when you return it. You'd be surprised at the avarice.
                          I forgot about those. I used to be one of those kids that collected them for the quarters

When I was a kid they bagged them, put them in a crate, rolled it down the runners. You drove up, said your number and they loaded them in your car. you tipped the guy who did that.

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          I don't want some dam kid bagging my groceries. They end up packing them in six bags when one or two will suffice. It's the worst.
                          That is the store policy. Bring reusable bags and they will pack them heavy as you want. (at least where I am they will.

Comment

I don't care about weight. I care about volume efficiency. My rule of thumb is two paper bags at most for most trips. Once a month or so I get four bags.

I have to practically beg at target for them to pack more than one item in a bag. I don't care if all the cold items are together with non-cold items. I don't care if the meat is in a package with other things.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              I don't care about weight. I care about volume efficiency. My rule of thumb is two paper bags at most for most trips. Once a month or so I get four bags.

I have to practically beg at target for them to pack more than one item in a bag. I don't care if all the cold items are together with non-cold items. I don't care if the meat is in a package with other things.
                              Meat cannot be packed with anything else other than similar kinds of meat to prevent cross contamination.

And you'll care about the weight of your bag when its contents are all over the parking lot.
                              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                              Originally posted by Quizmire
                              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

I'm with DX here. I bag my own groceries. I manage volume and space for a living, if you want to get right down to it (putting together large pallets of product; it's basically Tetris in real life). Cold in one bag, room temp in the other, and MAYBE a third bag because of weight, or maybe that jug o'milk doesn't quite fit but it has a handle, so we're good.

And don't give me plastic bags. Paper bags are perfect, and I use those for my recycling. The plastic bags they give you are crap, anyways.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X