Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    In theory, you learned how to learn. So get a welder, and make it work.

I managed to talk my wife into getting me a welder for my birthday. Took me a few years to get up the courage to use it. But I learned quickly, and now have no problem doing body repair on my cars. Other than the total lack of motivation to do it.
    Wow, if I had to talk my wife into getting me something for my birthday that I then didn't use for a couple years I don't think I'd hear the end of it.

Comment

• Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
      Wow, if I had to talk my wife into getting me something for my birthday that I then didn't use for a couple years I don't think I'd hear the end of it.
      I always invoke the "just in case" rule. Gotta have it just in case...
      Quinnipiac Bobcats
      2023 National Champions
      ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
      ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
      East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
      Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
      Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
      Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
        Depending on how large your purchase is at Amazon, you could redeem the value of points and pay for the remainder of the purchase on the charge card?
        The widget costs $x. I have more than $x worth of points already.

I could use the points directly at Amazon. I'm then out $x worth of points.

or I use my credit card and get $.05x worth of points. I could then pay the credit card using the $x worth of points I already have. Essentially, the cost of the transaction is now $.95x worth of points.

Why wouldn't I always do the latter?

edit: Even in the scenario where the item costs more than your accumulated points, it would still make sense to charge the whole thing to the credit card, then throw the points at the bill.
        Last edited by unofan; 07-13-2017, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
          I always invoke the "just in case" rule. Gotta have it just in case...
          mr les tried to say he needed a Ford Blazer (when they were the thing) because he needed to haul X which he did only once every few yrs. I just laughed and told him he should just say he wanted one

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            mr les tried to say he needed a Ford Blazer (when they were the thing) because he needed to haul X which he did only once every few yrs. I just laughed and told him he should just say he wanted one
            Chevy Blazer. Ford Bronco.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
              Isn't hauling X illegal?
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                In theory, you learned how to learn. So get a welder, and make it work.

I managed to talk my wife into getting me a welder for my birthday. Took me a few years to get up the courage to use it. But I learned quickly, and now have no problem doing body repair on my cars. Other than the total lack of motivation to do it.
                Arc? Mig? Tig?
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                  I had every intention of using it right away, but when you've never used one, it's a little scary to try it. Now I use it.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    Arc? Mig? Tig?
                    MIG. To me, they are the easiest to learn. Some good tips on knowing what they process should look like and sound like along with what a good weld should be when you are done- for about 90% of what a normal person needs, you can learn MIG on your own.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      Chevy Blazer. Ford Bronco.
                      Bronco- I knew I got it wrong.
                      Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Isn't hauling X illegal?
                      You must spread.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                        Bronco- I knew I got it wrong.
                        Remember the events of June 17, 1994, and you'll get it right in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          Hahahahahaha!!

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            Ridin' South On A White Bronco was a trophy/achievement in Red Dead Redemption. You had to evade cops while riding a certain horse. Still funny.
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Being called in for overtime at work when there was hardly anything to do. Got there at noon, finished the tanks that were in the room by about 2, cleaned meat spatter off the wall for a half-hour, went to break for 40 minutes, came back and found no new tanks.

Honestly, if they want us to work overtime, make sure we have something to do. It's not a job where we can shuffle papers and look busy.
                              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                              Patreon for exclusive writing content
                              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                                Being called in for overtime at work when there was hardly anything to do. Got there at noon, finished the tanks that were in the room by about 2, cleaned meat spatter off the wall for a half-hour, went to break for 40 minutes, came back and found no new tanks.

Honestly, if they want us to work overtime, make sure we have something to do. It's not a job where we can shuffle papers and look busy.
                                As my uncle would say- are they paying you? If they are say thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X