Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast
Results 541 to 560 of 664

Thread: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

  1. #541
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    between Scylla and Charybdis
    Posts
    8,321

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    The issue isn't setting the clocks for me, or most people, I'd wager. It's the messing around with our sleep schedules.
    Most of it is messing with sleep schedules; but we adapt.

    For me, another major annoyance is having it become so dark again in the early morning. DST was not originally designed to start this early in the year; and it was designed in the first place for an agrarian society. Since then, we've become far more urbanized; and light in the morning, relative to light in the evening, is more important (the "schoolkids going to the bus in the dark" concern you hear every year at this time).
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

    "While I thought it was the light at the end of the tunnel, in reality it was the headlight of an oncoming train."

    "Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

  2. #542
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    between Scylla and Charybdis
    Posts
    8,321

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    is it really that big of an imposition to set your clocks twice a year?
    only in one of the cars; I always have to get out the owner's manual to find out how to do it; and the really annoying part of that is the index doesn't tell you where to find the instructions. :mad
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

    "While I thought it was the light at the end of the tunnel, in reality it was the headlight of an oncoming train."

    "Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

  3. #543
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    19,550

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    I actually woke up an hour early today. I'm a little thrown off with food schedules, but it's not that bad. I enjoy the shift to later daylight during the summer. I also like the daylight shift back to normal in the winter. It's worth the two or three clocks in my life that don't automatically get reset. Even my car does it automagically now. Nice bonus!
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

  4. #544
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    17,384
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshFish View Post
    light in the morning, relative to light in the evening, is more important (the "schoolkids going to the bus in the dark" concern you hear every year at this time).
    No, it's not. If the time changes bother people that much, the majority would prefer the daylight hours according to year round DST to year round standard time. Because most people want sunlight until 9 or 10 at night in July, and they don't want sunrises at 4 or 4:30 in the morning. Meanwhile in the winter, even without daylight savings it's still dark during both commutes.

    And I'll be honest, there has been more *****ing about daylight savings time this year than I remember there being in past years. Is it just general discontentment or what?
    Last edited by unofan; 03-13-2017 at 10:51 AM.

  5. #545
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    framingham, ma
    Posts
    4,956

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreshFish View Post
    Most of it is messing with sleep schedules; but we adapt.

    For me, another major annoyance is having it become so dark again in the early morning. DST was not originally designed to start this early in the year; and it was designed in the first place for an agrarian society. Since then, we've become far more urbanized; and light in the morning, relative to light in the evening, is more important (the "schoolkids going to the bus in the dark" concern you hear every year at this time).
    I'd say "rural" is more accurate than "agrarian" in that most farmers I know (mostly dairy farmers who deal with animals) hate it. The cows don't care what the clock says.

    Me, I don't care. I'm retired, and the clock above my desk tells me what day it is. Guessing the time by looking out the window, whether I'm hungry or not, and how sleepy I am is usually close enough.

  6. #546
    Not Deplorable FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    America's Great Comeback City™, LOL
    Posts
    23,672

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    https://www.theatlantic.com/national...-shame/354753/

    Proof that even the Atlantic has stupid writers. This is a dumb article. Not just because the title is cringe-worthy, but is it really that big of an imposition to set your clocks twice a year? Hell, most of them do it automatically now.
    I've seen proposals to fold Central Time into Eastern, and Mountain Time into Pacific, and then eliminate DST. Always good for a laugh.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

    Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

  7. #547
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    31,508

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    All of the complaining about DST is always much ado about nothing. Adjusting sleep schedules? It is 1 hour? How do you even notice it? I sure didn't.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  8. #548
    Today a number Tomorrow a statistic
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    39,824

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    All of the complaining about DST is always much ado about nothing. Adjusting sleep schedules? It is 1 hour? How do you even notice it? I sure didn't.
    Switch to GMT. You never have to worry. Or just move to Arizona.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  9. #549
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    19,550

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    All of the complaining about DST is always much ado about nothing. Adjusting sleep schedules? It is 1 hour? How do you even notice it? I sure didn't.
    Ditto.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

  10. #550
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    28,732

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    It's adjusting 1 hour 1 freaking time. People can be such Sallies.

  11. #551

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    20,245

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Adjust sure, but there have been studies that show that the solidly on the day after and tapering off for the week following a time change, there is an increase in vehicular crashes and a rise in health issues (heart attacks, etc.).

    There is no benefit to daylight savings. It was enacted briefly for WWI, for three years in WWII, and not formally enacted nationally until by Nixon in 1974. It was amended in the 80's and last ratified by GW Bush in 2005.


    Honestly, move to DST permanently, and be done with this bullsh**.
    Last edited by aparch; 03-14-2017 at 10:05 AM.

  12. #552
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    31,508

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    It's adjusting 1 hour 1 freaking time. People can be such Sallies.
    Amen.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  13. #553
    lubba wubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    28,442

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    A large portion of our country is sleep deprived as it is, working two jobs, single parents taking on that struggle, people with sleeping disorders, and so on. Taking away yet another hour of sleep can really mess with people when it's not really necessary.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  14. #554
    Veteran leswp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    26,954

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    Adjust sure, but there have been studies that show that the solidly on the day after and tapering off for the week following a time change, there is an increase in vehicular crashes and a rise in health issues (heart attacks, etc.).

    There is no benefit to daylight savings. It was enacted briefly for WWI, for three years in WWII, and not formally enacted nationally until by Nixon in 1974. It was amended in the 80's and last ratified by GW Bush in 2005.


    Honestly, move to DST permanently, and be done with this bullsh**.
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    A large portion of our country is sleep deprived as it is, working two jobs, single parents taking on that struggle, people with sleeping disorders, and so on. Taking away yet another hour of sleep can really mess with people when it's not really necessary.
    Well, that saved me some typing. For a small portion of the population, who have fluid Circadian rhythms, this seems silly. For the vast majority of the population is screws a bunch of stuff up medically for a bit. Bell curve like- for a portion of the population is really messes things up.

    Those who whine that people aren't adjusting are obviously those who don't have Circadian rhythms that work worth a dam.

  15. #555
    Generic Catchy Message
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Willoughby, 1888
    Posts
    6,151

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Stolen from somewhere:

    "How come people use the clocks as an excuse for being late when they move forward, but no one has ever been an hour early to work in the fall?"

  16. #556
    lubba wubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    28,442

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Stolen from somewhere:

    "How come people use the clocks as an excuse for being late when they move forward, but no one has ever been an hour early to work in the fall?"
    Yeah, I know it's a joke, but I've seen that happen with a few people here over the years, where they report having arrived early for work when daylight savings ends in the Fall.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  17. #557
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    31,508

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    Those who whine that people aren't adjusting are obviously those who don't have Circadian rhythms that work worth a dam.
    Thank god. If having one makes me a whiny biatch that complains about something so trivial as an hour time change.

    I've honestly never seen or heard of a person ever having an issue with a time change of 1 hour while traveling. Never. This is exactly the same. I don't buy it.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  18. #558
    Math atheist
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Under a rock
    Posts
    7,356

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Thank god. If having one makes me a whiny biatch that complains about something so trivial as an hour time change.

    I've honestly never seen or heard of a person ever having an issue with a time change of 1 hour while traveling. Never. This is exactly the same. I don't buy it.
    I usually don't have an issue, but this time around seems to be messing with me. Strange...

  19. #559
    Veteran leswp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    26,954

    Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Thank god. If having one makes me a whiny biatch that complains about something so trivial as an hour time change.

    I've honestly never seen or heard of a person ever having an issue with a time change of 1 hour while traveling. Never. This is exactly the same. I don't buy it.
    There are people that get royally screwed up with the littlest time change. NASA did some really cool research after the Astronauts had all sorts of systemic medical issues when they came back from being in orbit. Truly fascinating. Kidneys, fluid balance, cortisol, sugar, digestion, blood pressure, respiratory function (the ones I remember the most, there are others) are all affected. There are certain meds that can be effective or not with even an hour deviation because they work in concert with your body's rhythms. They also do lots of stuff with shift workers who have a nasy habit of having outcomes way worse than day workers.

    You can poo-poo it all you want but there is plenty of medical evidence that makes it very real and for some very disruptive. Other people can fly half way around the world and not notice.

  20. #560
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    16,727
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Thank god. If having one makes me a whiny biatch that complains about something so trivial as an hour time change.

    I've honestly never seen or heard of a person ever having an issue with a time change of 1 hour while traveling. Never. This is exactly the same. I don't buy it.
    Your lack of empathy is appalling.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •