Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Our battery-powered cart pushing assistant has two issues that grind my gears:

1. The power doesn't turn off when you turn the key off. Had to help a member with a carry-out today, and the battery drained out.
    2. And the battery has a "memory" as you say. Doesn't even last an hour between chargings.
    Certainly grinds my gears when it comes to newer electronics: It's never actually "off", it's in "standby". If you want it off, you have to physically disconnect power.

Just out of curiosity, how old is that battery? They usually aren't able to keep a charge after a couple years.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      Certainly grinds my gears when it comes to newer electronics: It's never actually "off", it's in "standby". If you want it off, you have to physically disconnect power.

Just out of curiosity, how old is that battery? They usually aren't able to keep a charge after a couple years.
      Less than a year. Our old "mule" never had this problem.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Name the devices, please. I know TVs have the option of either being turned off completely or keeping a small trickle of power to keep the screen warm so that a picture will generate more quickly than it otherwise would from a cold start. Anything operated with a remote controller will have a small power draw to its controlling sensor, but that's so very minuscule that it's hardly worth mentioning, unless that nickel a month is going to bust your budget.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          Name the devices, please. I know TVs have the option of either being turned off completely or keeping a small trickle of power to keep the screen warm so that a picture will generate more quickly than it otherwise would from a cold start. Anything operated with a remote controller will have a small power draw to its controlling sensor, but that's so very minuscule that it's hardly worth mentioning, unless that nickel a month is going to bust your budget.
          Well how about we start with any cable box that was made in the 21st century. Where's the power switch on your modem, too? Cell phones are the same way, especially if you have an alarm clock running on it. Sure, computers have a CMOS battery for the clock, but I'm pretty sure cell phones have more running than that. And I'm not even going to get into the "conspiracy" stuff either. Measure the amperage on these sorts of things when they're "off". You'd be surprised to see what sort of power they're actually drawing.

Comment

Well how about we start with any cable box that was made in the 21st century. Where's the power switch on your modem, too? Cell phones are the same way, especially if you have an alarm clock running on it. Sure, computers have a CMOS battery for the clock, but I'm pretty sure cell phones have more running than that. And I'm not even going to get into the "conspiracy" stuff either. Measure the amperage on these sorts of things when they're "off". You'd be surprised to see what sort of power they're actually drawing.
            The modem and cell phone are two devices that people want to have on - available - 24/7, as is my wi-fi router. Name a device where people haven't created a demand for such easy access. Microwaves are on at all times, so is my oven. (They both contain clocks - just like our cellphones.) We don't create electrical devices that continuously draw power without some reason behind them. I have the option of turning off my PC, be it laptop or desktop, and they will still show some amperage reads. The laptop will likely be drawing off its battery ever so slightly, and both contain capacitors that will draw power for a period due to the nature of a capacitor.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

You forgot about Stereos and Game consoles
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                You forgot about Stereos and Game consoles
                By no means was the list conclusive; the person asked for examples.

Comment

All the microsoft updates are grinding my gears. Looooong installation. Most recent has flipped this site to mobile setting on Chrome which sucks. They did this once before and I can't remember how I fixed it. FIrefox is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                    All the microsoft updates are grinding my gears. Looooong installation. Most recent has flipped this site to mobile setting on Chrome which sucks. They did this once before and I can't remember how I fixed it. FIrefox is your friend.
                    There was a big patch that came through recently, and some ancillary ones for various reasons that I don't recall. That said, I've never had a browser switch up the site like that. It's weird how these things all interact when you have different applications loaded on PCs, tough to fully predict the outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      There was a big patch that came through recently, and some ancillary ones for various reasons that I don't recall. That said, I've never had a browser switch up the site like that. It's weird how these things all interact when you have different applications loaded on PCs, tough to fully predict the outcome.
                      Yeah it didn't affect my browser either.
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

and now it is fixed.

Comment

The updates do suck though...I swear Windows 10 is the slowest updating OS since Windows 95.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

My bank of america branch. I do most of my banking electronically, but when I go to the branch, usually for our local hs league deposits, the line is long and the service slow.

They cut down the number of living tellers and I think it's part of the plan to force us to use the automatic machine out front.

I am not happy and have let them know that on numerous occasions.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Why are some smoker so stupid?

It's one thing that you want to risk your health by sucking that crap down your lungs.

But to do it near fuel pumps?? This isn't second hand smoke I'm worried about- it's 2nd and 3rd degree burns, you moron.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                                Why are some smoker so stupid?

It's one thing that you want to risk your health by sucking that crap down your lungs.

But to do it near fuel pumps?? This isn't second hand smoke I'm worried about- it's 2nd and 3rd degree burns, you moron.
                                Zoolander??
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X