Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 35363738394041424344454647 LastLast

Thread: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Five Thousand Candles in the Wind!

Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Yeah and it isnt like you cant find seats to the games anyways
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

By making part of it a "donation" are they just trying to soften the blow? One way or another, they're getting the money.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    By making part of it a "donation" are they just trying to soften the blow? One way or another, they're getting the money.
    The "donation" is for tax purposes, I believe.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    I think we're finally giving up our gopher hockey season tix. Had them for over 20 years. But $2k is a lot for games that most of us can't get excited about we can't even find anyone who wants to split

Sorry to hear that. I'm in the first donation section so I'm only in for $800 a year. Or $840. I can't remember.

I've only bought it since 2007. ****. That's ten years.

I'd kill to be back in MN with season tickets. For me the BT is getting better with age and it seems they're making a bigger effort to improve and widen the NC slate of opponents.
    Last edited by Slap Shot; 06-13-2017 at 01:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I think you could still write a book, Bob - one about your recovery from obesity and anorexia. There are a ton of books about people who quit booze and/or drugs, but in my observation, there are far fewer people who write about food/weight issues.
    You have a point. Now to find a publisher?
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

lubba wubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    You have a point. Now to find a publisher?
    You're probably going to need something to show a publisher before you talk with a publisher.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    You're probably going to need something to show a publisher before you talk with a publisher.
    So I'll start writing, then.

So I'll start writing, then.
    But if there's one thing I want to make abundantly clear.... this is a memoir, not a how-to. Because I can't honestly recommend anyone do the things I did to lose it, or to fall into a very personal hell.
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka

But if there's one thing I want to make abundantly clear.... this is a memoir, not a how-to. Because I can't honestly recommend anyone do the things I did to lose it, or to fall into a very personal hell.
    That is how recovery stories are written. What you will do for a first draft is write what AA calls a "drunk-alog" - how it started, where it progressed to, how you finally got out. However, it will be focused on your particular emotional/food issues, and if you hope to get it published, then you'll try to write it with an eye towards the dark humor in the whole situation. So, if you've got stories about sneaking food that in hindsight are really silly, or crazy obsessions about the precise amount of calories you were eating during your anorexic phase, or relapse fantasy dreams during sleep, those are the kinds of things a similar audience wants identify with.

I'm sure that you're aware that getting published is quite difficult. So, you could easily work on this for a few years, and in the end it may end up being just a personal exercise for you, but perhaps you can see enough value in that to proceed for the time being.

If you get to a point where you need someone to proofread/advise a manuscript, let me know. I'd be happy to give it a try.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

There are several fairly decent options for self-publication these days as well. Sometimes, a commercial publisher will find something there and make an offer to take it more broadly.

Another option is to serialize it and publish in installments on a blog.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

So there will be a Mayweather-McGregor fight.

If it's anything like Mayweather-Pacquiao, it will be 10-15 minutes of hugging, running around the octagon, and MAYBE a punch thrown here and there.
    ― Franz Kafka

Defacing this tagline is a MAX foul Twitch Boy's Avatar

So there will be a Mayweather-McGregor fight.

If it's anything like Mayweather-Pacquiao, it will be 10-15 minutes of hugging, running around the octagon, and MAYBE a punch thrown here and there.
    Nope. It's under boxing rules - 10 oz gloves at 154 pounds. So 36 minutes of hugging, running around the ring, and MAYBE a punch thrown here and there.

Can't blame 'em - the fight will be a joke, but they both make $Texas for minimal effort. Floyd just has to dance around him for 12 rounds, get his hand raised, collect a paycheck, and saunter back to retirement. Conor has nothing left to prove and is set for life after this one win or lose, he can do whatever he wants with his career.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: Drink It In, Maaaaaan.
    Twitter Goodness: Twitch_Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch Boy View Post
    Nope. It's under boxing rules - 10 oz gloves at 154 pounds. So 36 minutes of hugging, running around the ring, and MAYBE a punch thrown here and there.

Can't blame 'em - the fight will be a joke, but they both make $Texas for minimal effort. Floyd just has to dance around him for 12 rounds, get his hand raised, collect a paycheck, and saunter back to retirement. Conor has nothing left to prove and is set for life after this one win or lose, he can do whatever he wants with his career.
    And all of this for the low, low price of what? $200 on PPV?
    ― Franz Kafka

Always amazed that people watch this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch Boy View Post

Under boxing rules, Floyd will just punch him out. McGregor's skill set is limited in this fashion of a fight. Floyd is specialized in this fashion of a fight.

And eff the PPV. I'll just head to the local watering hole (whichever one has it) and pay the $5 for the beer I'll have, which will outlast the fight time.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Shopping for a defenseman to replace Lidstrom

Floyd hasn't knocked anybody out in 6 years, and he's only had 2 KO's over the last decade. He'll land 3 punches per round and then run and hide like a ***** for 2:30 of each round.

It's going to be like what I read on Twitter: they're going to hug each other to death over 12 rounds in August.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Floyd hasn't knocked anybody out in 6 years, and he's only had 2 KO's over the last decade. He'll land 3 punches per round and then run and hide like a ***** for 2:30 of each round.

It's going to be like what I read on Twitter: they're going to hug each other to death over 12 rounds in August.
    Know what I want to see? Alternating rounds of MMA/boxing. And......go.

Shopping for a defenseman to replace Lidstrom
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I'd like see McGregor catch him flush on the chin, just to see Mayweather hit the canvas like a sack of wet cement, but I don't think I'm gonna get that, either.

Defacing this tagline is a MAX foul Twitch Boy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Saw an idea on Reddit: 9 rounds of boxing...round 10 onward is MMA. That way Floyd has to go for the KO, or get himself ground-and-pounded in the 10th.

Conor's got nothing to lose. 99.9 percent chance he loses, whoop dee doo, he lost a boxing match to a GOAT-tier boxer, he gets paid 20 times anything he'd ever make in UFC, and rides off into the sunset. 0.1 percent chance he gets a lucky left in early and KOs the dude...he's an instant combat sports legend.

I think Conor says eff it and goes crazy looking for a lucky KO for about the first 2 rounds, then runs out of cardio, says "oh well, I tried" and turtles up. Mayweather dances the Macarena around him for the last 10 rounds and takes it to the scorecards. Everyone gets paid.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: Drink It In, Maaaaaan.
    Twitter Goodness: Twitch_Boy

Thread Information