Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 39404142434445464748495051 LastLast

Thread: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Internet Nutcase
    Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    In theory, you learned how to learn. So get a welder, and make it work.

I managed to talk my wife into getting me a welder for my birthday. Took me a few years to get up the courage to use it. But I learned quickly, and now have no problem doing body repair on my cars. Other than the total lack of motivation to do it.
    Wow, if I had to talk my wife into getting me something for my birthday that I then didn't use for a couple years I don't think I'd hear the end of it.

Re: Gear Grinding 7: Really? This crap again?

Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post
    Wow, if I had to talk my wife into getting me something for my birthday that I then didn't use for a couple years I don't think I'd hear the end of it.
    I always invoke the "just in case" rule. Gotta have it just in case...
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16 ECAC Regular Season Champions
    2013 East Regional Champions, Frozen Four
    2014 East Regional
    2015 West Regional
    2016 ECAC Tournament Champions, East Regional Champions, Frozen Four

Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    Depending on how large your purchase is at Amazon, you could redeem the value of points and pay for the remainder of the purchase on the charge card?
    The widget costs $x. I have more than $x worth of points already.

I could use the points directly at Amazon. I'm then out $x worth of points.

or I use my credit card and get $.05x worth of points. I could then pay the credit card using the $x worth of points I already have. Essentially, the cost of the transaction is now $.95x worth of points.

Why wouldn't I always do the latter?

edit: Even in the scenario where the item costs more than your accumulated points, it would still make sense to charge the whole thing to the credit card, then throw the points at the bill.
    Last edited by unofan; 07-13-2017 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
    I always invoke the "just in case" rule. Gotta have it just in case...
    mr les tried to say he needed a Ford Blazer (when they were the thing) because he needed to haul X which he did only once every few yrs. I just laughed and told him he should just say he wanted one

lubba wubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    mr les tried to say he needed a Ford Blazer (when they were the thing) because he needed to haul X which he did only once every few yrs. I just laughed and told him he should just say he wanted one
    Chevy Blazer. Ford Bronco.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Isn't hauling X illegal?

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    In theory, you learned how to learn. So get a welder, and make it work.

I managed to talk my wife into getting me a welder for my birthday. Took me a few years to get up the courage to use it. But I learned quickly, and now have no problem doing body repair on my cars. Other than the total lack of motivation to do it.
    Arc? Mig? Tig?
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Just a boring user.

Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post
    I had every intention of using it right away, but when you've never used one, it's a little scary to try it. Now I use it.

Just a boring user.

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Arc? Mig? Tig?
    MIG. To me, they are the easiest to learn. Some good tips on knowing what they process should look like and sound like along with what a good weld should be when you are done- for about 90% of what a normal person needs, you can learn MIG on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Chevy Blazer. Ford Bronco.
    Bronco- I knew I got it wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Isn't hauling X illegal?
    You must spread.

Bronco- I knew I got it wrong.
    Remember the events of June 17, 1994, and you'll get it right in the future.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Hahahahahaha!!

Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Ridin' South On A White Bronco was a trophy/achievement in Red Dead Redemption. You had to evade cops while riding a certain horse. Still funny.

Being called in for overtime at work when there was hardly anything to do. Got there at noon, finished the tanks that were in the room by about 2, cleaned meat spatter off the wall for a half-hour, went to break for 40 minutes, came back and found no new tanks.

Honestly, if they want us to work overtime, make sure we have something to do. It's not a job where we can shuffle papers and look busy.
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Being called in for overtime at work when there was hardly anything to do. Got there at noon, finished the tanks that were in the room by about 2, cleaned meat spatter off the wall for a half-hour, went to break for 40 minutes, came back and found no new tanks.

Honestly, if they want us to work overtime, make sure we have something to do. It's not a job where we can shuffle papers and look busy.
    As my uncle would say- are they paying you? If they are say thanks.

They pay me, but I wish the overtimes would have us do more. Today was only 3.5 hours; when there's something to do, we at least go 6. $120 > $70.
    Last edited by ShirtlessBob; 07-15-2017 at 09:00 PM.
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Money isn't everything, he could've used those hours enjoying something. I've been there, sometimes you'd rather be at home.

Catching up, since I've been MIA for months. People really can't us a washing machine, and we think we should teach them? This should be like a life test, if you can't figure out how to use a ****ing washing machine yourself, you maybe deserve to have to wear stinky, dirty clothes.

All of that stuff, I was taught some of it, the more advanced stuff, but like working on cars, I never took a class, never was taught by my dad. I just figured it out. It is called problem solving. Learning how to figure stuff out is WAY more important than the individual thing you figure out.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Lucia Apologist

So there was some discussion at work at week ago (give or take) about sending someone from our group to Germany for a business trip on August 7th. I said I was available but my passport was expired and would need to get a new one. Well, I follow-up again thinking that another person was selected and I'm told that I'm being sent. I don't have flight info yet, I don't have hotel, and I need to find all of my citizenship papers.

It grinds my gears for three reasons:
    1. Why couldn't my boss follow-up or let me know when she made that decision?
    2. Why oh why didn't I follow-up again?
    3. I'm leaving out of town tomorrow night. That means I'm going to have to make an appointment at the State Dept. downtown either tomorrow or when I get back from Michigan. Tomorrow is going to be a complete scramble. Monday is going to be really pushing my luck for timing.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    So there was some discussion at work at week ago (give or take) about sending someone from our group to Germany for a business trip on August 7th. I said I was available but my passport was expired and would need to get a new one. Well, I follow-up again thinking that another person was selected and I'm told that I'm being sent. I don't have flight info yet, I don't have hotel, and I need to find all of my citizenship papers.

It grinds my gears for three reasons:
    1. Why couldn't my boss follow-up or let me know when she made that decision?
    2. Why oh why didn't I follow-up again?
    3. I'm leaving out of town tomorrow night. That means I'm going to have to make an appointment at the State Dept. downtown either tomorrow or when I get back from Michigan. Tomorrow is going to be a complete scramble. Monday is going to be really pushing my luck for timing.
    Doesn't your company use a service like CIBT to deal with travel documents? When I needed my passport done quickly, I just sent all of the information, and the picture, to CIBT, my company paid them some expedited fee, and they sent a passport in like 5 days.

http://cibtvisas.com/passports
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Thread Information