Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yale Men's Hockey 2016-2017. Who will step up?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yale Men's Hockey 2016-2017. Who will step up?

Did not get to see much of the game online, but take that win and run with it. Nice backhand by Hayden for the win.
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Comment

Only saw the first two periods and it looked a lot like several games over the last couple of years. Yale playing well and out shooting their opponent by a wide margin, but unable to put the puck in the net. Glad to see such a nice comeback.

Comment

Thanks to RPI too for streaming the game and keeping it available so I could go back and watch the Yale goals. Too bad the Ivy teams don't do the same.
        Last edited by bulldog10jw; 11-05-2016, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bulldog10jw View Post
          Thanks to RPI too for streaming the game and keeping it available so I could go back and watch the Yale goals. Too bad the Ivy teams don't do the same.
          They do a great job, replay here.
          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FfPNCzcF6iM
          YALE HOCKEY
          2013 National Champions

Comment

Not a 60 minute team yet. Need a steady hand on D. There's one available and hopefully he plays tomorrow against a big Ithaca team.

Comment

Originally posted by saulofgaul View Post
              Not a 60 minute team yet. Need a steady hand on D. There's one available and hopefully he plays tomorrow against a big Ithaca team.
              Did not see the game. It does seem, though, that except for the barrage of goals in 3 or 4 minutes against RPI, they're still, like last year, having problems putting the puck in the net.

Comment

Did not see the game. It does seem, though, that except for the barrage of goals in 3 or 4 minutes against RPI, they're still, like last year, having problems putting the puck in the net.
                I watched a portion online, Finn was at the top of his game for Colgate and the entire Colgate team did well to keep Yale to the perimeter and blocked the passing and shooting lanes well. Will be in attendance tonight and hopefully will see some finishing.
                YALE HOCKEY
                2013 National Champions

Comment

Another tough loss. Yale's Achilles heel is allowing too many grade A chances in front of the net. Spano had no chance on 2 or 3 of the goals. The young defense has been getting exposed. Also, the power play units are taking too much time trying to set up the perfect shot and ending up not shooting at all. Gilliam was also huge for Cornell tonight. Hopefully this young team gets its legs soon. Sam Tucker looked good in the third.
                  YALE HOCKEY
                  2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                    Another tough loss. Yale's Achilles heel is allowing too many grade A chances in front of the net. Spano had no chance on 2 or 3 of the goals. The young defense has been getting exposed. Also, the power play units are taking too much time trying to set up the perfect shot and ending up not shooting at all. Gilliam was also huge for Cornell tonight. Hopefully this young team gets its legs soon. Sam Tucker looked good in the third.
                    I agree. The defense left too many players open in the slot and was generally not good at moving the puck either night. They are young and will improve. It is just a hard adjustment to watch after the strength of the D the past few years.

On offense, the PP seemed to be unable to skate in--Cornell esp was happy to let Yale pass around the perimeter while they packed in a littler lower down. There were no clear shooting lanes, and Yale could not penetrate. I thought Yale played better at 5 on 5.

Vs Colgate, Finn had a terrific game. Vs Cornell, Gillam looked shaky at times giving up rebounds that Yale could not put away as the puck bounced away or the Cornell D was just in too tight and knocked away Yale sticks.

On the plus side, there was some strong puck possession and moments of good teamwork and passing. We're enjoying Hayden's play more and more--I think he hustles and works hard and we love to see that. He's getting to the net more and that will pay dividends.
                    Boolaboola

Comment

Originally posted by razorben View Post
                      I agree. The defense left too many players open in the slot and was generally not good at moving the puck either night. They are young and will improve. It is just a hard adjustment to watch after the strength of the D the past few years.

On offense, the PP seemed to be unable to skate in--Cornell esp was happy to let Yale pass around the perimeter while they packed in a littler lower down. There were no clear shooting lanes, and Yale could not penetrate. I thought Yale played better at 5 on 5.

Vs Colgate, Finn had a terrific game. Vs Cornell, Gillam looked shaky at times giving up rebounds that Yale could not put away as the puck bounced away or the Cornell D was just in too tight and knocked away Yale sticks.

On the plus side, there was some strong puck possession and moments of good teamwork and passing. We're enjoying Hayden's play more and more--I think he hustles and works hard and we love to see that. He's getting to the net more and that will pay dividends.
                      I agree that the Hayden line has been excellent, the second powerplay unit of DiChiara and the Smith's have been the most obvious culprit's when it comes to not shooting on the PP. Snively also needs to look towards the net more for his shot, he is constantly trying to make difficult passes where instead he should be taking it to the net. Doherty also played a good game Saturday and has seemed to regain some of his speed and stamina. I also see upside in Gaus and T. Hart, but in more of a straight forward offensive way, they rely on speed, not guile much like Izzy.
                      YALE HOCKEY
                      2013 National Champions

Comment

I like both Gaus and Hart, and that they drive forward. Gaus has a heavy shot, too. I hope we see more of it.
                        Boolaboola

Comment

See a lot of positives coming out of the Cornell game, despite the loss. Tough to argue with the areas for improvement as pointed out previously but I am optimistic that the effort, the skill and the puck luck will coalesce in our favor in the North country. Two tough teams ripe to be bulldogged!

Comment

Yale has now given up 15 goals in the last three games. Not fun to watch. There were stretches, especially in the first period, when Yale seemed to have a territorial advantage, but were not even getting off any decent shots.

Hope we can snap out of it tomorrow.

Comment

>>>>>Finishers Hayden 8 shots, Snively and Hitch 0. The first PP unit has had many chances over the last three games, they need to spread the puck around and shoot more. Hayden can score, but he needs to be the decoy occasionally.
                              YALE HOCKEY
                              2013 National Champions

Comment

Yale has now given up 15 goals in the last three games. Not fun to watch. There were stretches, especially in the first period, when Yale seemed to have a territorial advantage, but were not even getting off any decent shots.

Hope we can snap out of it tomorrow.
                                Watched the game on our feed from SLU. Just think it's going to take some time for all the new ingredients to fit together and gel. Your team showed character battling all the way to the end when the game was out of reach. Like most Yale teams since Allain.....a lot of speed, a lot of good passing.....good stretches of territorial edge but agree they are not shooting the puck enough. Goal looks to be a work in progress and we had too many breakaway or wide open chances.
                                SLU

Comment

Working...
                                X