Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten Hockey 2016-2017

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    With the pride and success the Spartans have had in the past with their hockey program I don't understand why getting that ship upright again hasn't been a real priority?
    Well, they mistakenly thought that their football program being successful had nothing to do with Rich Clod, sanctions in Happy Valley, tattoo-gate, or the rest of the B1G being pathetic. Well, football righted the ship and guess what? sparty is 2-4 overall (0-3 in league play). God I love it!
    Originally posted by alfablue
    Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
      Well, they mistakenly thought that their football program being successful had nothing to do with Rich Clod, sanctions in Happy Valley, tattoo-gate, or the rest of the B1G being pathetic. Well, football righted the ship and guess what? sparty is 2-4 overall (0-3 in league play). God I love it!
      Interesting points brought up, given none of our losses are to Michigan, Penn State, or Ohio State.
      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
        I've been around since 'back in the day' and while the conference mix-up has diminished a lot of the fun of rivalries, when one of your top two rivals for decades is still in your conference, you don't just switch gears and cheer for them easily (although I almost felt pity for them the last couple seasons they were so bad. Ok, it was either pity or gloating.). I have always hoped for wins from conference teams over non-conference teams when they weren't one of the major rivals.
        I understand and agree with all of that. Again, hoping for results that are in your self-interest is one thing, and "cheering" is another.

I doubt Buckeye hockey has ever had a rivalry at the level of MN -WI -UND, so you might not have experienced those feelings.
        While I believe you posted this in all sincerity, we need to stop with the silly talk.

Ohio State/Michigan Football is the greatest rivalry in sports. We've experienced those feelings. At least on the OSU side, you'll find the whole range of intensity and mixed emotions. Some fans fervently root for the Wolverines to go 0-12 every year. Others sincerely want both teams to go into "The Game" undefeated. And everything in between.

Granted, OSU Hockey has been an underdog the majority of the time. But underdogs know rivalries too. For an example on your side of the ledger, Gopher FB is usually an underdog. But Gopher FB fans certainly take notice when the Badgers or Hawkeyes come to town.

I want my team to be good enough that they will make the tourney regardless of how the rest of their conference does. That is what I cheer for. (Not to say that, OSU, Penn State or MSU winning non-conference games doesn't put a smile on my face. And even if were to the point late in the season that a WI win helps the Gophers clear the bubble, I won't admit it on site that is so over-run with cheeseheads.)
        And with this you're back on track, and we mostly agree. Of course every program wants to qualify for the tournament on their merits, and not need help from other teams. But when help comes, you take it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
          Interesting points brought up, given none of our losses are to Michigan, Penn State, or Ohio State.
          Our football team is not good this year. Almost all teams have down years and we will be back.

As far as our hockey team being "back".... that tv program is pretty much just static at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
            I certainly want enough Big Ten teams to win that the regular season winner will go to the NCAA without winning the tourney. Otherwise, the Big Ten is a joke.

Fair point and I wouldn't mind if the conference did well in principle... but on the other hand, I feel pretty confident that if the Badgers simply win all of their remaining games, that would happen regardless of how awful the rest of you mopes are.
            Originally posted by WiscTJK
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
            Originally posted by Timothy A
            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Wisconsin's 2nd game against BC is on ESPNU this afternoon. Might be worth watching to see if the Badgers can pull off a sweep of what will be probably a VERY pis*ed off & motivated BC team.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                Wisconsin's 2nd game against BC is on ESPNU this afternoon. Might be worth watching to see if the Badgers can pull off a sweep of what will be probably a VERY pis*ed off & motivated BC team.
                I had this on my calendar and plan to switch between hockey and football. I've never said this before, but on the hockey side it's "Go Badgers" (really mean "Go Big Ten"). Conversely, on the football side, it'll be "Packers Suck" (err, "Go Cowboys!") because I want the Vikes to run away with the division title.
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  I had this on my calendar and plan to switch between hockey and football. I've never said this before, but on the hockey side it's "Go Badgers" (really mean "Go Big Ten"). Conversely, on the football side, it'll be "Packers Suck" (err, "Go Cowboys!") because I want the Vikes to run away with the division title.
                  Not meaning to go too far off the hockey topic but I think Zeke Elliot will tear the Packers a new one today.

Comment

WOW! Getting 5 holed 10 seconds in is NOT a good omen for Wisconsin!
                    I thought BC was going to try and make a statement.

Comment

That got ugly quickly.

Comment

6-5 now. I don't know what to think of these two teams lol.

Comment

Badgers had some great scoring chances but poor decisions at the end allowed the empty netter.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                            Not that I like BC, but I think I would feel too dirty if I cheered for Bucky to sweep, despite how much it would help PWR.
                            I always always always cheer for each and every Big Ten team in all non-conference matchups.
                            National championships won by Big Ten schools : 23 (Michigan 9, Wisconsin 6, Minnesota 5, Michigan State 3, Ohio State 0, Penn State 0, Notre Dame 0)
                            National championships won by NCHC schools : 21 (North Dakota 8, Denver 8, MN-Duluth 3, Colorado College 2, St. Cloud State 0, Miami 0, NE-Omaha 0, Western Michigan 0)

23 > 21

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                              Jesus...Michigan St. might be 2014-2015 Badgers bad this season...
                              Yes, they are down and out. Fortunately the other five Big Ten teams all appear to be contenders this year.
                              National championships won by Big Ten schools : 23 (Michigan 9, Wisconsin 6, Minnesota 5, Michigan State 3, Ohio State 0, Penn State 0, Notre Dame 0)
                              National championships won by NCHC schools : 21 (North Dakota 8, Denver 8, MN-Duluth 3, Colorado College 2, St. Cloud State 0, Miami 0, NE-Omaha 0, Western Michigan 0)

23 > 21

Comment

What in the world is this guy talking about

Comment

Working...
                                X