Big Ten Hockey 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    Don't like the single game eliminations. I'd like to see best of 3 or go old school and play 2 with the total goals deciding it in case of a split. But OSU and UW have torpedoed that issue by sharing buildings with other sports.
    Single game semi weekend is lame.

Comment

Re: Big Ten Hockey 2016-2017

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
      Single game semi weekend is lame.
      I have to say that I originally thought it was lame as well - but I guess looking at it from a "glass half full" perspective I can say that getting into another one-and-done situation puts these teams into an NCAA tourney mindset a week earlier. That can be beneficial.

Single game semi's also helps the underdog - should make the conference tourney even more unpredictable.

Comment

Don't like the single game eliminations. I'd like to see best of 3 or go old school and play 2 with the total goals deciding it in case of a split. But OSU and UW have torpedoed that issue by sharing buildings with other sports.
        I dont like it either just go to best of three first round and if you want single elimination for the rest just play them at the #1 Seed building.

Comment

Agreed. I think UW singlehandedly torpedoed the B6 conference the last 2 years, they did no one any favors. Plus every league has doormats, it's not like all the B6 teams can be in the top 16 anyway. UM um and UW will get back to the place where they are annual top 10 teams, and once and awhile, tOsu, UND, MS and PS will float to the top too.
          I'm assuming um is minnesota?
          Originally posted by alfablue
          Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
          Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

The one thing I LOVE about it is how meaningful the regular season title becomes with that first weekend bye. Until an eighth team is added, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
              To be fair, it's not like attendance was all the great last time around.
              I would hope with this being the last year of the Joe's existence it will draw better. I know I'll be there not only for the BTT but the Wings will be playing the hated Avalanche in the afternoon before the championship game that evening. Got to be there for that as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                Got to be there for that as well!
                Maybe they can announce that Minnesota will be playing OSU later that evening and some of the Wings fans will want to buy tickets. Well...

Comment

Maybe they can announce that Minnesota will be playing OSU later that evening and some of the Wings fans will want to buy tickets. Well...
                  Don't hold your breath on that one. The goal for this team this year is to win the final college game at JLA. Nothing else.
                  ---
                  National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                  Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                  19 Conference Championships
                  10 Conference Tournament Championships
                  2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                    Don't hold your breath on that one. The goal for this team this year is to win the final college game at JLA. Nothing else.
                    I can sympathize that Red should go out on top but my sympathy only goes so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                      I would hope with this being the last year of the Joe's existence it will draw better. I know I'll be there not only for the BTT but the Wings will be playing the hated Avalanche in the afternoon before the championship game that evening. Got to be there for that as well!
                      Honestly the Joe has nothing to do with it.

Comment

The one thing I LOVE about it is how meaningful the regular season title becomes with that first weekend bye. Until an eighth team is added, of course.
                        You're kidding right? They took the one conference with a super successful following for their playoff and destroyed it for a TV Network. They certainly didn't do it because they could put butts in the seats.

And in addition to the destruction they became the most irrelevant hockey conference in the NCAA.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                          Honestly the Joe has nothing to do with it.
                          I say this because I'm a lifelong Wings fan and enjoyed watching the CCHA finals there as well but of course my reasons won't impact others.
                          I wonder how the playoffs would be arranged if the B1G's wooing of Arizona State hadn't fallen through?

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                            You're kidding right? They took the one conference with a super successful following for their playoff and destroyed it for a TV Network. They certainly didn't do it because they could put butts in the seats.

And in addition to the destruction they became the most irrelevant hockey conference in the NCAA.
                            What in the world are you talking about? Have I ever said I like the Big Ten? I'm a firm believer it's a big reason ticket sales are looking ugly this year. I still have my season tickets because I love the team, but I think the program is not in a great spot.

I was stating that given the world we're currently living in, I like that the winner of the crappy conference gets the bonus of going directly to the semifinal game (at home).

In all honesty, the NCHC is way better than the Big Ten right now. 3 on 3 overtime >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> shootouts

Comment

When we go to on campus playoffs I wonder what Ohio State will do?
                              For years they've contracted with the Ohio High School Athletic Association to host state wrestling and basketball championships here and kick the hockey team off their own ice because sadly Ohio State is all about the money and not the athletes.
                              Now the CCHA had no clout with the university and was helpless to change it but the B1G may see things differently and they could make OSU accommodate the hockey team and have them play on their own ice in the Schott. The conference should have no tolerance for OSU to try and put them back in the old 800 seat original arena for playoffs.

Comment

Don't get me started on that! You guys seem to make that work at the Kohl Center with big crowds and a decent atmosphere. Down here at OSU, not so much! I've been ranting for years about OSU's need for a hockey-only facility.

Comment

Working...
                                X