Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten Hockey 2016-2017

Originally posted by Speed Kills View Post
    Yes, they are down and out. Fortunately the other five Big Ten teams all appear to be contenders this year.
    lol

If anything this conference is even worse than last year. I'm seeing one bid.
    ---
    National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
    Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
    19 Conference Championships
    10 Conference Tournament Championships
    2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
      lol

If anything this conference is even worse than last year. I'm seeing one bid.
      at least three teams that are not Michigan are better this year.
      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
      Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
        I'm not sure yet as I don't think some of our teams have really been challenged yet. I do believe Ohio State is better but I don't think I can form a valid opinion on Penn State or Minnesota until PS plays Notre Dame and MN plays North Dakota.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
          Michigan plays defense now. And has goalies.
          ---
          National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
          Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
          19 Conference Championships
          10 Conference Tournament Championships
          2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
            Interesting points brought up, given none of our losses are to Michigan, Penn State, or Ohio State.
            I'm not going to get into the petty stuff that is common between our schools.

But it still mystifies me that you are sticking with the former commissioner given his track record. Even with all of the disdain over Comley- he was far more successful. Given his level of departure, the commish should have been gone two seasons ago. As much as I like seeing your team lose, I also know that it's not good for the sport.

If the season continues as it is, do you think this will be the last season for the commish?

Comment

As for the overall quality of the conference. We are just 2 weeks in.

Who freaking knows?

Football this season is a good example of how poor paper predictions can be, based on apparent team quality. Hockey has shown that many times over again.

We won't really know until December, I think. By then, one team could have generated enough wins to be a high enough ranked team so that they can finish runner up in the B1G and still get in- OR the "best" team can have enough losses that the only way in is winning in Detroit in March.

Trying to convince anyone that someone is good or bad because of "on paper" is just stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                As for the overall quality of the conference. We are just 2 weeks in.

Who freaking knows?
                Doesn't matter if we know or not. They were rumored to be dominant before they came into existence. They're not top two and right now barely 4th. They've got multiple years of winning to do before they're even respectable.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  Doesn't matter if we know or not. They were rumored to be dominant before they came into existence. They're not top two and right now barely 4th. They've got multiple years of winning to do before they're even respectable.
                  Yea? That's a good historic point, sure. But how does that make anyone think that quality will be up or down on any team THIS season?

I totally agree that it sucks that we only get one team into the tournament. But the B1G hockey isn't going anywhere, so that bad news isn't ever going to change it. Isn't it about time people finally deal with that?

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                    But how does that make anyone think that quality will be up or down on any team THIS season?
                    You don't really, but you get a sense based on the players they've gained vs. lost, plus how they've looked so far. After watching each of their games in Alaska, and viewing this highlight tape vs. an over-matched USA U18 team, I'm 90% confident that the Gophers will be an improved team this year. We'll know a little more after this coming weekend.

https://youtu.be/VNu--AI65cc
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                      Man, Pitlick sure gets some rocket shots off
                      "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        I'm not going to get into the petty stuff that is common between our schools.

But it still mystifies me that you are sticking with the former commissioner given his track record. Even with all of the disdain over Comley- he was far more successful. Given his level of departure, the commish should have been gone two seasons ago. As much as I like seeing your team lose, I also know that it's not good for the sport.

If the season continues as it is, do you think this will be the last season for the commish?
                        I couldn't imagine how Hollis could have withstood the heat of last season but he did. I also felt it was a possibility that Anastos would just quit because it appeared all season that the job was just destroying him. Remember how tired and depressed Brady Hoke seemed in his final year? That's what Anastos reminded me of last year.

I doubt Hollis pulls the trigger unless we win like 5 games or less(possible) He seems determined to ride this thing not into the ground, but the earth's core. He must have thought very, very highly of himself to have made such an outside the box hire and I bet he's not willing to admit defeat.

With all of that being said, I am anxious to see positive signs from this team. I like Anastos and I want him to succeed. If he can pull anything respectable out of this season then I might be willing to hang on.

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                          Man, Pitlick sure gets some rocket shots off
                          Yeah I'm beginning to understand why he led the USHL in scoring last year.
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Ohio State plays Bowling Green in a away & home series this weekend. The Falcons are ranked #20 in the USCHO poll and after that we play no one currently ranked until at Minnesota right before the break.
                            I will say if you pull off a win in the Gopher's barn you have proved something so it's a long wait until we play a high power team to see how we compare.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                              I couldn't imagine how Hollis could have withstood the heat of last season but he did. I also felt it was a possibility that Anastos would just quit because it appeared all season that the job was just destroying him. Remember how tired and depressed Brady Hoke seemed in his final year? That's what Anastos reminded me of last year.

I doubt Hollis pulls the trigger unless we win like 5 games or less(possible) He seems determined to ride this thing not into the ground, but the earth's core. He must have thought very, very highly of himself to have made such an outside the box hire and I bet he's not willing to admit defeat.

With all of that being said, I am anxious to see positive signs from this team. I like Anastos and I want him to succeed. If he can pull anything respectable out of this season then I might be willing to hang on.
                              Of course you want to see the team get better- just like we wanted our football team to get better under Hoke.

But at some point, reality has to sit in.

What kind of sucks for you guys- if your football team struggles this season even more, so much attention from the hockey team will be taken away. So if you win- 8 or 9 games, which IMHO is not nearly enough for a team with the history of yours- you won't replace the coach.

Funny- we've talked about this in so many individual threads- I just do my best to stay out of yours...

Comment

Well the B1G is 4-4-2 this weekend not including the Badger's exhibition play.
                                Did anyone here predict the Gophers getting swept by St. Cloud State?

Comment

Working...
                                X