Big Ten Hockey 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Ten Hockey 2016-2017

Votes are being cast for pre-season rankings...3 weeks away from Penn St. vs. SLU marking the start of the season for the conference...and no conference thread?
    For shame!

Will the conference put more than 1 team into post-season play this year? As usual, the first 2 months of the season will tell the tale as almost 90% of non-conference games come before the Christmas break. Given how young a number of the teams are this season that doesn't bode well, but we should see some improvement from the Gophers, Badgers and Buckeyes.

How will the conference standings shake out? Here's how I see it heading into the season:

1 - Minnesota
    They lose Hudson Fasching but return the core of their regular season championship team as well as adding some talented youngsters.

2/3 - OSU and Michigan
    OSU lose almost nothing from a team that wasn't far off from competing for a title last season.
    Michigan lose a lot, but as always reload. How well the freshman integrate and acclimate to the college game will be key.

4/5 - PSU and Wisconsin
    Penn St. lose a lot from last year (7 skaters, 6/11 top point-getters, both their goalies) . I expect this to be Gadowsky's most challenging season behind the PSU bench since their inauguration.
    Wisconsin has their "dream team" coaching staff, some talented forwards in Grant Besse, Luke Kunin and freshman Trent Frederic. But they have been truly awful the past couple years and have significant questions in goal.

6 - Michigan St.
    They sucked last year and it's hard to see them being any better this year. They lost 10 players from last year's team including leading scorer Mackenzie MacEachern and goaltender Jake Hildebrand. They have a roster with 8 freshman skaters and no proven netminder. Methinks this will be Anastos' last season...I mean....it has to be, right?

How about All-Conference honors?

F - Luke Kunin (UW)
    F - Justin Kloos (MN)
    F - Nick Schilkey (OSU)
    D - Drew Brevig (OSU)
    D - Jake Bischoff (MN)
    G - Eric Schierhorn (MN)

ROY - Trent Frederic (UW)
    COY - Don Lucia (MN)
    Last edited by Stauber1; 09-17-2016, 02:41 AM.

Re: Big Ten Hockey 2016-2017

The conference is a real let down and until things change there won't be much conversation.
    Originally posted by alfablue
    Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

I don't know what to expect from UW.

Early reports are that they're practicing a VERY different style from what they've been playing (which was expected, and promised at their initial press conference). So if the boys can adapt quickly, it'll be a good season. Wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't take hold for at least part of the season, though.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

Early reports are that they're practicing a VERY different style from what they've been playing (which was expected, and promised at their initial press conference). So if the boys can adapt quickly, it'll be a good season. Wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't take hold for at least part of the season, though.
        "good season"? How is that defined? Relative to what they have been the last couple of years, or relative to all the NCAA? I think there is a good chance for significant improvement, but they can improve quite a bit and still have a ways to go to achieve what might have historically been viewed as a good season to stinkin' badger fans. I think they are the biggest unknown for this conference.

As for the conference, I'll bet anyone that they don't get three in the NCAA's. I'm guessing 2. I expect MN to improve enough to sneak in, and am guessing there is a decent chance another team gets the autobid by beating them in the bi6 Championship.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
          "good season"? How is that defined? Relative to what they have been the last couple of years, or relative to all the NCAA? I think there is a good chance for significant improvement, but they can improve quite a bit and still have a ways to go to achieve what might have historically been viewed as a good season to stinkin' badger fans. I think they are the biggest unknown for this conference.

As for the conference, I'll bet anyone that they don't get three in the NCAA's. I'm guessing 2. I expect MN to improve enough to sneak in, and am guessing there is a decent chance another team gets the autobid by beating them in the bi6 Championship.
          MN needs to beat the in-state schools
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

I also don't know what to expect, other than "better" (i.e. "not as bad"). My excitement is more about on-ice results in the years to come. This year, I'm mostly excited about the new energy around the program. With the exception of maybe a few games last year, UW hockey wasn't even a shell of its former self, and it was very surreal - in a bad way - to see.

If they can play mediumly (pretend that's a word) right out of the gates this year, that would be pretty okay, all things considered.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
              I also don't know what to expect, other than "better" (i.e. "not as bad"). My excitement is more about on-ice results in the years to come. This year, I'm mostly excited about the new energy around the program. With the exception of maybe a few games last year, UW hockey wasn't even a shell of its former self, and it was very surreal - in a bad way - to see.

If they can play mediumly (pretend that's a word) right out of the gates this year, that would be pretty okay, all things considered.

I really think that it is important UW be at (or darn close) to .500 at the end of the year. I would consider that a significant up-tick in performance in one year.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                The conference is a real let down and until things change there won't be much conversation.
                Wisconsin's new coach changes everything.
                XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                  Wisconsin has their "dream team" coaching staff, some talented forwards in Grant Besse, Luke Kunin and freshman Trent Frederic. But they have been truly awful the past couple years and have significant questions in goal.
                  Jurusik may not be an all-american; but, I wouldn't call him a significant question mark - I think he's fine. Did you mean to say have significant questions in front of goal? Their defensemen are a real issue.

As to what constitutes a good season for Wisconsin, I would be happy with somewhere close to .500. I think they'll have the offense to win significantly more games this year.

Otherwise, I mostly agree with your predictions. I'll predict Ohio St for 2nd.

I'd really like to see the Big 10 adjust the schedule so that 1 or 2 of the conference series were moved up to Oct/Nov, which might help the non-conference records if all the non-conference games aren't so front loaded.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                    Wisconsin's new coach changes everything.
                    Originally posted by LordofBrewtown View Post

As to what constitutes a good season for Wisconsin, I would be happy with somewhere close to .500. I think they'll have the offense to win significantly more games this year.
                    I think Happy is right. The difference between winning and losing is not that great in college hockey, and Wisconsin will be a completely different team this year--especially the team culture and mindset. And for Big Ten teams and others who have established some kind of rivalry with W, that is a very good thing.

Comment

I like what Jeff Sauer said about Big Ten hockey in Todd Milewski article. From day one I have also been vocally opposed to the Big Ten Hockey League.
                      We don't need this, this is the dumbest move college hockey has made period.
                      UW Hockey NCAA Champs 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

Comment

The Big Ten conference may have not been what everyone expected but it is here and it will grow into a competitive conference in a few years. It will grow next year with the Fighting Irish and hopefully can add a few more teams over the next few years.
                        Last edited by Dangle; 09-18-2016, 01:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Dangle View Post
                          The Big Ten conference may have not been what everyone expected but it is here and it will grow into a competitive conference in a few years. It will grow next year with the Fighting Irish and hopefully can add a few more teams over the next few years.
                          Do you mean competitive internally - many teams will have a shot of winning the conference - or externally (nationally) where multiple teams have a chance of making the NCAA FF and winning a NC?

Internal competitiveness might only come from the result from teams with equal levels of mediocrity. External competitiveness can only then come form 2-3 teams a year - a league of 6 (or 7) isn't going to be sending more than 3 teams (usually) to the NCAA's a year simply due to the limited spots available for at-large entries to the NCAA tourney, IMO.

Comment

Badgers have their exhibition opener this Saturday at the KC.....Who else is playing this upcoming weekend in the B10?

Yeah Golden Domers, I guess you could include yourself here too....

Comment

Originally posted by BuB View Post
                              Badgers have their exhibition opener this Saturday at the KC.....Who else is playing this upcoming weekend in the B10?

Yeah Golden Domers, I guess you could include yourself here too....
                              Michigan plays the U-Windsor on Sunday. No more flash and dash from the Wolverines... more of a lunch bucket team w/ very little star power remaining. The defections from last season took 226 points with them and created huge holes at center. The offense will be led by guys like Warren (ARI) Kile, Dancs, Marody (PHI) and Calderone. The 11 freshmen are good, but not ready to carry a team... let alone move to the next level. Look for Will Lockwood (Van) and Joe Pastujov (NYI) to be a solid contributors. The other concern is on the blue line, where non descript names will fill the lineup except for returnees Joe Cecconi (DAL), Nic Boka (MIN) and Nolan DeJong (MIN). The goaltending will return senior Zach Nagelvoort (EDM) who has had a checkered career so far. Two freshmen, Jack Lafontaine (CAR) and Hayden Lavigne will battle him for the starting job.

Overall, without seeing this team live, Michigan fans have an unknown quantity. Best guess is that they can compete in the conference but will not have the talent or experience that Minnesota has in order to win the title.

Comment

Working...
                              X