Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2016 - 2017: Here we go again! I hope it's a fun ride.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2016 - 2017: Here we go again! I hope it's a fun ride.

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    When I was at the 'tute, there was a joke going around that Industrial Management Engineering (IME) was management with real calculus. Whether it's true or not, I don't know; I was a bit more focused on my workload at the time.

If we don't see you on here again, have a happy Christmas.
    When I was at RPI, the only people who took a different calc course were architects. Management majors took the same course as scientists and engineers. However IIRC, they did not take Diff E.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
      Hello all, it’s been a long time. I hope this finds all of you well. I would like to extend my holiday wishes to all of you. I see that many of you are very upset about this year’s results; you can count me in as well as being upset with what has transpired. As many of you are aware, I am a fan of Seth Appert and believe that he is a wonderful representative of RPI. I know many of you are aware of this already. Let me add a dose of reality without offending any of you that are Alumni and licensed Engineers. I can tell you that people are not beating down the door to go to RPI if they are good hockey players; the academic standards are very rigorous even in the Lally School. Bottom line, RPI is a small Engineering School in Troy, NY. Now as many of you are aware I am a lifelong Trojan and have spent my whole life here, I love it and the many people who live here but RPI most likely will never be the hockey hotbed of the world as long as these standards are in place. You’re not a Liberal Arts School where hockey players can get by and get a degree; most top flight hockey players, if not all have spent their time on the ice not in the books.
      The administration has built a beautiful football field for a D III program while leaving their hockey facility in place making meager cosmetic improvements to the Field House that hosts D1 Hockey. Do you not think prospective recruits see this and wonder what the deal is regarding this allocation of resources? Again, RPI Hockey will not be a major part of the conversation as long as this continues. I love the Field House, I grew up there. I live pretty much next door. Bottom line- until a new facility is built things aren’t going to change much. You need to realize that hockey players come from wealthy families because it is an expensive sport. Players are accustomed to state of the art in their life and the HFH does not scream new, state of the art.
      I’m not asking you to change your expectations but you all need to understand the reality. We applaud when the team does well academically but the top talent is not gifted academically. The most talented team that walks off the bus wins, that’s the way of the world folks.
      The goaltending has not been good, the defense even worse, the scoring has been anemic. I am hoping for a better second half from the boys. Like the old days I will try to take on all comers who want to come after me. My best to Coach Appert, Vines and Graham. I am a Seth guy and continue to be so.
      So what's changed from what the last two head coaches prior to Seth, other than an upgraded facility, better salaries for coaching staff - especially for Seth, added staff - director of Hockey Ops, and increased budgets. Seems to me things aren't as bad as you make them appear. Besides, I think there IS talent on the team. So it is NOT the most talented team that walks off the bus that wins. Although talent (which is a rather broad term you use) is important, it's the team who has a strategic coaching staff, that is in sinc with their players as far as communication is concerned, and it's the team whose coaching staff puts them in the best position for them to be successful individually, whereby as a team, you will succeed. Seth started sitting players for taking "bad" penalties in a game. I can't wait to see who sits out Friday night. If I look at the Princeton box score, there were a few bad penalties which Princeton scored on, one being too many men on the ice! When Seth first took the job he stated "We can win a championship with the academic standards currently at RPI." His words not mine!
      Last edited by sk8tronthepond; 12-07-2016, 07:33 AM.
      I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Hello all, it’s been a long time. I hope this finds all of you well. I would like to extend my holiday wishes to all of you. I see that many of you are very upset about this year’s results; you can count me in as well as being upset with what has transpired. As many of you are aware, I am a fan of Seth Appert and believe that he is a wonderful representative of RPI. I know many of you are aware of this already. Let me add a dose of reality without offending any of you that are Alumni and licensed Engineers. I can tell you that people are not beating down the door to go to RPI if they are good hockey players; the academic standards are very rigorous even in the Lally School. Bottom line, RPI is a small Engineering School in Troy, NY. Now as many of you are aware I am a lifelong Trojan and have spent my whole life here, I love it and the many people who live here but RPI most likely will never be the hockey hotbed of the world as long as these standards are in place. You’re not a Liberal Arts School where hockey players can get by and get a degree; most top flight hockey players, if not all have spent their time on the ice not in the books.
        The administration has built a beautiful football field for a D III program while leaving their hockey facility in place making meager cosmetic improvements to the Field House that hosts D1 Hockey. Do you not think prospective recruits see this and wonder what the deal is regarding this allocation of resources? Again, RPI Hockey will not be a major part of the conversation as long as this continues. I love the Field House, I grew up there. I live pretty much next door. Bottom line- until a new facility is built things aren’t going to change much. You need to realize that hockey players come from wealthy families because it is an expensive sport. Players are accustomed to state of the art in their life and the HFH does not scream new, state of the art.
        I’m not asking you to change your expectations but you all need to understand the reality. We applaud when the team does well academically but the top talent is not gifted academically. The most talented team that walks off the bus wins, that’s the way of the world folks.
        The goaltending has not been good, the defense even worse, the scoring has been anemic. I am hoping for a better second half from the boys. Like the old days I will try to take on all comers who want to come after me. My best to Coach Appert, Vines and Graham. I am a Seth guy and continue to be so.
        Aspy, I too am a big fan of SA the person. But in the last few years, Union and Yale won National Championships with talent that was not that much different than ours.
        The ECAC is a collection of great institutions. None are easy to get into. Some have new buildings, but how much do you think that matters to a student coming into Yale or Harvard?
        We have had many players in the last ten years that have gone on to play professional hockey in the NHL, AHL and KHL. These are very talented hockey players, and the played at RPI.
        I am not saying that we should have won a National Title, but we should have been near the top of the ECAC, and that has only happened once.
        What can we expect for the next ten years with SA behind the bench?
        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
        Benjamin Franklin
        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
        Gary Player

Comment

We applaud when the team does well academically but the top talent is not gifted academically. .
          Dear AspyDad,

Thanks for the insult.

Respectfully yours,

Mike McPhee
          Joe Juneau
          Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
            Dear AspyDad,

Thanks for the insult.

Respectfully yours,

Mike McPhee
            Joe Juneau
            Oh, grow up.
            Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
              Oh, grow up.
              Oh, I've missed you.
              Last edited by ServinisScores; 12-07-2016, 08:40 AM. Reason: add some Red Cloud-like flair.
              Class of '93

Comment

Oh, I've missed you.
                No, seriously. Grow up.
                Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                  No, seriously. Grow up.
                  No, really, I've missed you. I love that you and AspyDad have returned within a day of each other. I'm so grateful. Almost close enough to call it a Christmas miracle...
                  Class of '93

Comment

No, really, I've missed you. I love that you and AspyDad have returned within a day of each other. I'm so grateful. Almost close enough to call it a Christmas miracle...
                    Nice try; I've seen Red Cloud around here quite a bit. Even if a significant percentage of the posts are to poke fun at me. So come off it.

Comment

Originally posted by flagdude08 View Post
                      aspydad isn't using his usual terminology? Things must really be bad...

if we want to see the effects of a new rink, we don't have to look too far away, just over to hamilton. Sure, they just built it, but we'll see what happens.
                      sa=mgc
                      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Dear AspyDad,

Thanks for the insult.

Respectfully yours,

Mike McPhee
                        Joe Juneau
                        Typical Engineer response. Sand meet Head. Merry Christmas.
                        "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Great minds.

Comment

sa=mgc
                            OK; was getting worried maybe SAJ threw you into the basement of the Troy Building for re-education or something...

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                              Aspy, I too am a big fan of SA the person. But in the last few years, Union and Yale won National Championships with talent that was not that much different than ours.
                              The ECAC is a collection of great institutions. None are easy to get into. Some have new buildings, but how much do you think that matters to a student coming into Yale or Harvard?
                              We have had many players in the last ten years that have gone on to play professional hockey in the NHL, AHL and KHL. These are very talented hockey players, and the played at RPI.
                              I am not saying that we should have won a National Title, but we should have been near the top of the ECAC, and that has only happened once.
                              What can we expect for the next ten years with SA behind the bench?
                              Was picked for 10th last year finished 5th (tied). Got by one of the hurdles that was out there, home playoff win. If you're a hockey player and you can choose between Yale and RPI, Im thinking 9 out 10 youre gping to Yale. Union a Liberal Arts school. Back to my original thesis, we're an Engineering school in Troy.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWtUVDG5M1w

Comment

Working...
                                X