Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2016 - 2017: Here we go again! I hope it's a fun ride.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2016 - 2017: Here we go again! I hope it's a fun ride.

Originally posted by DavidSec17 View Post
    Why pull the goalie with 2:30 left only down a goal? Usually you see that with 1:30 or so left after a timeout where you can draw something up. It just seemed odd to me how that played out. Dartmouth scored the eng with more than 2 minutes left, and then he pulled Perry again with around 1:30 left, now down 2 goals..

At this point in the season it doesn't really matter but just an observation.
    At 57:00, we were down two goals, and got one back on the extra attacker, so it's a bit of a continuation. It's always a calculated risk, and some coaches are more aggressive than others when it comes to this. Doesn't matter how much time is left on the clock; the empty net is always a risk. How much do you give your players to try to tie the game? I commend coaches that give their team the most opportunity, especially if they recognize that 5v5 really isn't working, and that we have had success on the weekend a man up (granted, 5v4 instead of 6v5), so why not go for it? The only way the outcome is going to change is if the EAG is scored.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidSec17 View Post
      Why pull the goalie with 2:30 left only down a goal? Usually you see that with 1:30 or so left after a timeout where you can draw something up. It just seemed odd to me how that played out. Dartmouth scored the eng with more than 2 minutes left, and then he pulled Perry again with around 1:30 left, now down 2 goals..

At this point in the season it doesn't really matter but just an observation.
      There have been academic studies done showing that down a goal, you should pull your goalie with three minutes (or more!) left on the clock. The work was done specifically for the NHL, so their expected point equation would have included the loser point, but the idea still stands. There is little difference between losing by one or losing by two, but teams are much more likely to score with the extra attacker than you are at five a side, so why not maximize the amount of time you have the 6x5.
      RPI Pep Band
      GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
      🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
      2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
      2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
        There have been academic studies done showing that down a goal, you should pull your goalie with three minutes (or more!) left on the clock. The work was done specifically for the NHL, so their expected point equation would have included the loser point, but the idea still stands. There is little difference between losing by one or losing by two, but teams are much more likely to score with the extra attacker than you are at five a side, so why not maximize the amount of time you have the 6x5.
        Well then. Let's just play the whole game without a goaltender.
        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Looks like I was right our next yorkie kasdorf coming next year
          I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
            Looks like I was right our next yorkie kasdorf coming next year
            If he is that good.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
              Even when we're tied (and don't need the win) or leading?

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  Shoudn't Milos be between these two guys?

Comment

Originally posted by Havasu M View Post
                    Shoudn't Milos be between these two guys?
                    The same thing crossed my mind when I post that.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      Makes me sick it's ok not to like each other
                      I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

There's obviously a breakeven point where the expected outcome of pulling the goalie is better than leaving him in. Conventional wisdom has always put this at around the minute mark, maybe a little earlier if you get a power play or an offensive zone faceoff. All the study is saying is that the breakeven point is probably earlier than we thought. This isn't some crazy heretical thing.
                        RPI Pep Band
                        GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                        🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                        2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                        2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          Losing Tommy Grant may be an even bigger loss than we think. One of things I had mentioned in the recruits thread, and is relevant to our team today, is that we have an abnormally large amount of left-handed players. In fact, this year we have exactly five right-handed shots. As much as my inner natural southpaw is thrilled at this notion, it seems like a great disadvantage, similar to one you'd see in small-high-school sports where virtually everyone's right-handed. Grant is of the "minority" dexterity on this team.

I don't know if anyone has been paying this close of attention on games where video's readily available, but how often are our opponents breaking out of or clearing the zone on their left side (our right)? Are they using our dexteric disadvantage against us in any other way? Are our players being "forced right"?
                          Sorry to be a pest here FD.. but you've hit upon one of my peeves which is that people who don't play hockey don't seem to understand that the way you shoot is not always correlated to the way you write. I am right handed and I shoot left. Most left handed shots I know are right handed. I read an article a while ago that Canadians are taught to hold the stick with their dominant hand on top whereas many Americans seem to think you should shoot with your dominant hand so there are more right handed shots coming out of the US these days.

As far as the opponents coming out of their end... doubt that matters much. What does matter is when it is in your end on the wall. There it is much easier to be on your forehand when you are trying to flip it out off the glass - or just keep your head up and eyes ahead while grabbing the puck off of the boards, or make a hard cross ice pass. If you don't think it is easier to stick handle on your forehand side just ask yourself... how many backhanded toe drags have you ever seen? Not so easy with the blade curving the other way of course but give a puck to anyone and have them stick handle and stop. I'll bet >90% of the time the puck is sitting on the forehand side of the blade when they finish.

Comment

Maybe not the whole game but... if you are down 2 in the 2nd period with a face-off in the other end... 2 minutes left... and you can win a draw... see if you can try to get them hemmed in and take advantage of their long change. That would be a bold coaching move. It would be helpful if you have Patrice Bergeron or Claude Giroux to take the draw though!

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Some news about tuition at the 'tute https://www.reddit.com/r/RPI/comment..._little_under/

Comment

Working...
                                X