Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2016 - 2017: Here we go again! I hope it's a fun ride.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2016 - 2017: Here we go again! I hope it's a fun ride.

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
    Sorry to be a pest here FD.. but you've hit upon one of my peeves which is that people who don't play hockey don't seem to understand that the way you shoot is not always correlated to the way you write. I am right handed and I shoot left. Most left handed shots I know are right handed. I read an article a while ago that Canadians are taught to hold the stick with their dominant hand on top whereas many Americans seem to think you should shoot with your dominant hand so there are more right handed shots coming out of the US these days.

As far as the opponents coming out of their end... doubt that matters much. What does matter is when it is in your end on the wall. There it is much easier to be on your forehand when you are trying to flip it out off the glass - or just keep your head up and eyes ahead while grabbing the puck off of the boards, or make a hard cross ice pass. If you don't think it is easier to stick handle on your forehand side just ask yourself... how many backhanded toe drags have you ever seen? Not so easy with the blade curving the other way of course but give a puck to anyone and have them stick handle and stop. I'll bet >90% of the time the puck is sitting on the forehand side of the blade when they finish.
    Oh I'm well aware dexterity is almost never limited one way, being of mixed dexterity myself (as my uncle likes to put it, since he's the same way: mechanically left, electronically right). Same applies to Americans vs. European with dining utensils.

As it was fairly evident, trying to see what's going on and if there's anything that can be done about it in future years, assuming we ride out Appert's contract. I happened to notice said correlation with 2014-15. Obviously it's possible the debate is trying to compare apples to oranges, and if that's the case, so be it.

Comment

Maybe not the whole game but... if you are down 2 in the 2nd period with a face-off in the other end... 2 minutes left... and you can win a draw... see if you can try to get them hemmed in and take advantage of their long change. That would be a bold coaching move. It would be helpful if you have Patrice Bergeron or Claude Giroux to take the draw though!
      Winning the draw is the tough part... not to mention, keeping the zone. But assuming we get better at those two (and we can't deny one has improved a bit), what about after an icing or other non-changeable whistle, especially if they've already used their timeout? Even if we get stuck with a non-changeable infraction, we are permitted to put the goalie back in.

Comment

As Ralph requested. I am moving the goalie situation to this thread.
        With ten games still remaining, how long do you think we can go without a competent back up goaltender?
        I mean no disrespect to our third goalie, but he does not come in with the same kind of credentials as the top two.
        And what happens if Perry gets injured? Do we play with only one goalie?
        Just asking.
        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
        Benjamin Franklin
        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
        Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
          With ten games still remaining, how long do you think we can go without a competent back up goaltender?
          I mean no disrespect to our third goalie, but he does not come in with the same kind of credentials as the top two.
          Just asking.
          Barry Sherwood.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
            Just asking.
            We had the situation recently when Kasdorf had to red-shirt, nae? If we can go a full year, I think we'll be just fine for 10 games.

NCAA rules stipulate you must have at least two goaltenders dressed as such when the game starts, otherwise you forfeit. If Perry gets injured, I wouldn't be surprised if they call up a club goalie. Although a part of me still thinks the whole suspension is posturing, just like how all the captains were indefinitely suspended a few years back, only to be reinstated a couple weeks later.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              We had the situation recently when Kasdorf had to red-shirt, nae? If we can go a full year, I think we'll be just fine for 10 games.

NCAA rules stipulate you must have at least two goaltenders dressed as such when the game starts, otherwise you forfeit. If Perry gets injured, I wouldn't be surprised if they call up a club goalie. Although a part of me still thinks the whole suspension is posturing, just like how all the captains were indefinitely suspended a few years back, only to be reinstated a couple weeks later.
              I would have been a lot more comfortable with the "posturing' if we didn't have a recruit ready to come in next year.
              Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
              Benjamin Franklin
              The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
              Gary Player

Comment

Dartmouth just put up 8 on Harvard. Wonder what that says about this past weekend for us...

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonMike View Post
                  Dartmouth just put up 8 on Harvard. Wonder what that says about this past weekend for us...
                  It says that this is the ECAC and no individual result really means anything.
                  RPI Pep Band
                  GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                  🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                  2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                  2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    Barry Sherwood.
                    Carolina had their equipment manager suit up a couple of weeks ago. They put him in for the last seven seconds of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by vicious View Post
                      Carolina had their equipment manager suit up a couple of weeks ago. They put him in for the last seven seconds of the game.
                      Maybe Appert will drag down some random person from the band.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        It's a lost season so let's make it memorable... get one of the goalies off of the women's team. I suppose she would need to be non-scholarship or else we violate some regulation but... as a backup who only sites on the bench .. RPI... Why not change the world?

Comment

It's a lost season so let's make it memorable... get one of the goalies off of the women's team. I suppose she would need to be non-scholarship or else we violate some regulation but... as a backup who only sites on the bench .. RPI... Why not change the world?
                          Is that even legal? With a sport that the school does not offer the same for the other gender (i.e. football, field hockey, etc.) I could understand under Title IX, but we have ice hockey for both genders...

Comment

RPI's women's team's record is twice as good as that of the men's team. I realize that isn't saying much, but they have a shot at making the ECAC playoffs, in a league that actually requires teams to do more than just show up to make the playoffs.

I don't think they'd appreciate having one of their goalies pulled out of action in order to sit on the bench for the men's team.

Comment

The women's backup has put up an .867 save percentage (Hackett had an .892) in limited time. Given that we face nearly forty shots a game, that would translate to nearly an extra goal a game immediately. There's a good chance that her sv% would suffer further in the men's game given the differences in play. I don't think there's any reason to think that she'd be better than our current third goalie, and bringing in a woman just to get shelled probably doesn't make the statement we want.
                              RPI Pep Band
                              GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                              🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                              2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                              2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                Better yet, how about Appert puts on the gear? He was a goalie.☺

Comment

Working...
                                X