Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2016 - 2017: Here we go again! I hope it's a fun ride.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    To those of us who graduated in the 1960s, 2013 is present day.
    Not only the performance of the team but the many other ways to communicate has taken a toll on these boards. Atlantic Hockey has only seen two teams somewhat active on these threads. On the RIT thread we've talked about how Facebook group pages are formed, or how the students on campus use their colleges Reddit pages to talk hockey if there is an important game coming up. Those posters are potential new users here that we could use. So what we're left with is the old guard hanging in there doing our best to keep things going. RPI threads remains strong here in part through your efforts Ralph. Thank you. I follow RPI the school and RPI hockey so I enjoy reading the posts from all the contributors regardless of their opinions. It's not so much the words written that I enjoy but more the passion that RPI fans have for their team. Sure the team has been a bit of a disappointment so far this year and maybe a shake-up is needed but let's not lose our passion for this team. Go Red!
    RPI Engineers
    RIT Tigers
    ARMY Black Knights

Comment

• Re: RPI Hockey 2016 - 2017: Here we go again! I hope it's a fun ride.

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      Sorry to hear that. Just curious, is present-day RPI itself regarded as female-friendly?
      Ralph, my daughter (class of 2008) had a great experience at RPI. She was a member of the swimming/diving team and interacted with most of the other athletes.
      She also got an enormous boost to her self esteem from both the athletic community and the school itself.
      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
      Benjamin Franklin
      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
      Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
        So sick of hearing this crap, like the kids at the other programs in the ECAC are not first rate. This program has been driven into the "who cares about RPI hockey stage". Clarkson and St Lawrence weekend draws less than 6,000 fans. Just look at the amount of posters gone from here. Some could say its because of a certain poster but I'm not buying it. The hockey we are witnessing stinks regardless of the integrity and class of the student athletes on this team. There used to be a point in time where I would not miss an RPI game and now I'm happy to get there when there is nothing better to do. We were 14 season ticket holders from the late 70's down to none for this current season.
        Nobody is twisting your arm to come to this site, nor are they making you go to the games.
        Personally, this is just the kind of crap I enjoy. Great kids and great families make for a great community.
        And rooting for RPI doesn't end at graduation. I take great pride in the players that make it to the next level, whether it be the AHL or the NHL, I still get joy in following those players.
        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
        Benjamin Franklin
        Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
          Nobody is twisting your arm to come to this site, nor are they making you go to the games.
          Personally, this is just the kind of crap I enjoy. Great kids and great families make for a great community.
          And rooting for RPI doesn't end at graduation. I take great pride in the players that make it to the next level, whether it be the AHL or the NHL, I still get joy in following those players.
          While I too am happy that the kids mainly appear to be great kids and a credit to the university, in my opinion that alone only makes sense in the D-III sports. In hockey performance on the ice is also critical. I don't think that what your daughter did should be compared to either the men's or women's hockey teams.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Correct, in fact they are making me not go to the games. And this is a Division 1 program, they should be twisting people's arms to go to these games. Ralph pretty much summed it up without saying it. Move down to Division 3 if you don't care about winning or putting a decent product on the ice.

Comment

While I too am happy that the kids mainly appear to be great kids and a credit to the university, in my opinion that alone only makes sense in the D-III sports. In hockey performance on the ice is also critical. I don't think that what your daughter did should be compared to either the men's or women's hockey teams.
              I wasn't comparing anything. You asked about the treatment of female students at RPI. I was just trying to give you some insight as to what some of them go through.
              Benjamin Franklin
              Gary Player

Comment

I wasn't comparing anything. You asked about the treatment of female students at RPI. I was just trying to give you some insight as to what some of them go through.
                That wasn't the post which I replied to. I appreciate your comments about your daughter's experience. That doesn't have any connection as far as I can see with what we should expect from the hockey program.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

That wasn't the post which I replied to. I appreciate your comments about your daughter's experience. That doesn't have any connection as far as I can see with what we should expect from the hockey program.
                  It seemed for of an offshoot about why people don't post here, specifically those of "the fair sex".

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    It seemed for of an offshoot about why people don't post here, specifically those of "the fair sex".
                    Yes, but I don't think that lugnut meant to reply that the primary reason that the women he was referring to left USCHO was because of the team's performance, but rather the way they were treated by some posters.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Thanks for that post, as fans, we forget that these guys are human and they feel the losses at least as much as we do.
                      Over the years I have had the opportunity to talk with some of the players, coaches and even parents, and I have yet to meet anyone connected to the program who wasn't first rate.
                      The wins and losses may not show it, but we have a first rate program.
                      as fans, we forget that RPI used to have a first rate program that performed at the highest level both ON and OFF the ice.

We do NOT have that right now. I'm sure the young men on the team are outstanding individuals. No different than those that have represented the program in the last 35 years I have followed, and in the time preceding that.

As Ralph indicated earlier, RPI competes in ice hockey at the Division 1 level, where expectations are the highest. Division 1 demands "first rate" people and players. Being one or the other is simply not acceptable.

The current performance of the team, while not an indictment of any one player, is unacceptable.
                      Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Scouting the enemy: Rensselaer Engineers

http://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/201...engineers.html
                        QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                        2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                        2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                        2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                        https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                        https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                        https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                          Scouting the enemy: Rensselaer Engineers

http://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/201...engineers.html
                          Thanks
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
                            as fans, we forget that RPI used to have a first rate program that performed at the highest level both ON and OFF the ice.

We do NOT have that right now. I'm sure the young men on the team are outstanding individuals. No different than those that have represented the program in the last 35 years I have followed, and in the time preceding that.

As Ralph indicated earlier, RPI competes in ice hockey at the Division 1 level, where expectations are the highest. Division 1 demands "first rate" people and players. Being one or the other is simply not acceptable.

The current performance of the team, while not an indictment of any one player, is unacceptable.
                            I'm sure at times we can pick out one player in various instances (goals, concessions, penalties, a corner battle, etc.), but at the end of the day, the records are tied to the name on the front, not the name on the back. Do the kids have D-I talent? Yes. Are they good people? Yes. Are their skills used to the fullest extent to better the team? Perhaps, but most importantly: Does the team best showcase the talents that these kids have? We see the same systems year in and year out. You would think, when we get different players, team strategies would evolve not only to exploit the weaknesses of our opponents, but also heighten the strengths of us. Appert keeps going back to Polacek in interviews, like the strategy revolves around a player like that. If that's the case, then the team isn't accounting for the talents of what makes it.

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
                              Well, this is one fan that hasn't forgotten. While not every season was a spectacular one, I've always been so proud of MY team - a notoriously GOOD hockey team from a little engineering school that regularly thrashed the Ivy League schools, the big name schools, teams whose players probably never heard of us until they looked up at the scoreboard after a loss in front of a loud Fieldhouse crowd and wondered what the hell just happened.

Honestly, right now I'm scared. This feels different. I look at teams like Lake Superior State and wonder if we are going down that path. How these bad seasons are eroding our fan base and our recruiting. I truly wonder if we have an administration committed to turn this around or if we are witnessing the demise of a hockey culture that has stood on its own historical foundation for the past few decades.

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X