Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 2016 UMD Season Thread

Let's go RED!

Re: 2016 UMD Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
    Kolstad took a penalty at around 1:30 and looked, after she plowed a 'Dog into the boards, that she had a bit of an attitude problem chirping and swiping at another 'Dog right afterwards as she turned to head to the box..
    Shocker...She elbowed Melissa Channel on the Friday Sue tilt and she has missed the last 5 games due that. What a XXXXX.

As a UW fan, give me a synopsis of the Dawgs offensive and defensive play. This is going to be a fantastic series.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Shocker...She elbowed Melissa Channel on the Friday Sue tilt and she has missed the last 5 games due that. What a XXXXX.

As a UW fan, give me a synopsis of the Dawgs offensive and defensive play. This is going to be a fantastic series.
    The ‘Dogs usually play a quick game and they can be blazing fast. Offensively, when their passing is on and they are all on the same page and playing at top speed, watching them is like having a religious experience…one mind, several bodies. Reminds me of the ‘Dogs of 7-8 years ago. Their passing can be so fast and accurate while gaining positional advantage that opponents struggle with the little time that they have to react never mind defend.

Defenders (often Healey) will attack into the corner with a forward dropping back to cover that vacated spot on the point. Seems to me that this constant positional rotation often confuses opponents and a one or two second advantage is often all that is needed to gain puck control and execute a pass out of a congested corner. I mentioned earlier in the season that if they can play to their capabilities fairly consistently that they would give any team nightmares.

Therein lies one of the problems, the consistency has been somewhat less than I would have hoped to see regardless of how well they have done this a season.

Their power play is lacking for some reason. Earlier this season they would cycle the puck and tighten the noose as they did so, with a decent amount of success ie: puck in net. Not so much lately. Checked before this weekend and their pp conversion was only around 16%.

Most of their scoring comes from their first line and even though others have the ability to add to the points total I would like to have seen another 10-15 goals this season from the supporting cast.

Breakouts are usually quick and often seem effortless but the key word here is “usually”. This weekend they were having major trouble a number of times getting the puck out of their end while at even strength thereby causing unnecessarily high blood pressure readings due to the close score…especially when the clock was winding down. They were standing and watching in their end as though they were in the 4 man defensive box (thank you Russians) short handed when they weren’t.

PK is decent but could stand some improvement…like the PP.

Goaltending is excellent and defence is solid.

And when they have their forechecking in full gear their speed can confound and overwhelm opponents.

So, I think they need to bring all their speed to the UW shindig along with their quick passing game and the relentless forechecking that they are capable of displaying. And they need to get ARD moving side to side and to constantly lift the puck toward the top half of the net. If they do, the rest should take care of itself.

And, if not, well then the odds for less than ideal results occurring will rise substantially.

Let's go RED!

The ‘Dogs usually play a quick game and they can be blazing fast. Offensively, when their passing is on and they are all on the same page and playing at top speed, watching them is like having a religious experience…one mind, several bodies. Reminds me of the ‘Dogs of 7-8 years ago. Their passing can be so fast and accurate while gaining positional advantage that opponents struggle with the little time that they have to react never mind defend.

Defenders (often Healey) will attack into the corner with a forward dropping back to cover that vacated spot on the point. Seems to me that this constant positional rotation often confuses opponents and a one or two second advantage is often all that is needed to gain puck control and execute a pass out of a congested corner. I mentioned earlier in the season that if they can play to their capabilities fairly consistently that they would give any team nightmares.

Therein lies one of the problems, the consistency has been somewhat less than I would have hoped to see regardless of how well they have done this a season.

Their power play is lacking for some reason. Earlier this season they would cycle the puck and tighten the noose as they did so, with a decent amount of success ie: puck in net. Not so much lately. Checked before this weekend and their pp conversion was only around 16%.

Most of their scoring comes from their first line and even though others have the ability to add to the points total I would like to have seen another 10-15 goals this season from the supporting cast.

Breakouts are usually quick and often seem effortless but the key word here is “usually”. This weekend they were having major trouble a number of times getting the puck out of their end while at even strength thereby causing unnecessarily high blood pressure readings due to the close score…especially when the clock was winding down. They were standing and watching in their end as though they were in the 4 man defensive box (thank you Russians) short handed when they weren’t.

PK is decent but could stand some improvement…like the PP.

Goaltending is excellent and defence is solid.

And when they have their forechecking in full gear their speed can confound and overwhelm opponents.

So, I think they need to bring all their speed to the UW shindig along with their quick passing game and the relentless forechecking that they are capable of displaying. And they need to get ARD moving side to side and to constantly lift the puck toward the top half of the net. If they do, the rest should take care of itself.

And, if not, well then the odds for less than ideal results occurring will rise substantially.
    Kinda funny reading this reads like I would write about UW. UW does the D takes the puck in deep and F covers as well. UW's lines 1-3 can score and the line-up tweak of Nurse with Pankowski and Clark could have produced the best line in college hockey. UW's now running an umbrella PP that has really provided excellent scoring, prior to that the pp sucked. Did you watch the UMD/UW matchup earlier this season? I'm sure a lot has evolved since then for both teams. I'm really looking forward to some fast action and not a lot of quasi-interference by UW's opponent.

I'm really looking forward to some fast action and not a lot of quasi-interference by UW's opponent.
    You mean as opposed to the real thing?
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    You mean as opposed to the real thing?
    Quasi as defined by the refs, not by knowledgeable fans like us of course.

Let's go RED!

Stadler is off at the Olympic qualifier this weekend???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Stadler is off at the Olympic qualifier this weekend???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????!!!!! !!!!!!!!!
    Mrázová also

WT*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the worst, yet. G** D**** ********** H***

It's only #1 vs #2 the second to last week of the season Is this a real league that we're fans of? This is bull****

Maybe they'll be back day after tomorrow. Can this really be true?
    Last edited by KTDC; 02-08-2017 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KTDC View Post
    Mrázová also

It's only #1 vs #2 the second to last week of the season Is this a real league that we're fans of? This is bull****

I wonder if this is something coaches will look at in the future when recruiting players outside of North America. Typically they are all on their respective National teams and will always miss parts of the season for Worlds, Olympic Qualifiers and other events. Missing some non-critical games is one thing but missing right before playoffs is quite another.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by KTDC View Post
    Mrázová also

UW beat writer Todd D Milewski tweeted out she's gone all weekend, it has to be true. I'm stunned. Relieved a bit but stunned. UW needs to get pushed hard by harder competition and this won't help that cause.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by dd17 View Post
    I wonder if this is something coaches will look at in the future when recruiting players outside of North America. Typically they are all on their respective National teams and will always miss parts of the season for Worlds, Olympic Qualifiers and other events. Missing some non-critical games is one thing but missing right before playoffs is quite another.
    They've got 3rd locked up, but they could get second. One would think their NCAA spot is pretty much locked in already as well.

Stalder is Swiss and Mrazova is Czech. Their Olympic Qualifier is this coming weekend so both will be gone all weekend, unfortunately!

http://www.sihf.ch/fr/women/final-ol...ion/spielplan/

Not that I need to be reminded of what everyone here found out today...this just adds insult to injury...although it's great for her...(as I slowly descend into the darkness of my rat infested hold mumbling imperceptibly about the 'Dog & Digger Dance Disaster)...

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news/2017...x?path=whockey

In other news...(maybe redeeming news if she can shut out the Diggers)...
    http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news/2017...x?path=whockey

Speaking of the Olympics...looks like a tough sell locally...so the Koreans are trying to "stack" their teams to stoke interest...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/olympic...icic-1.3972118

Speaking of the Olympics...looks like a tough sell locally...so the Koreans are trying to "stack" their teams to stoke interest...

Hannah Brandt's sister, Marissa, is playing for the Korean national team.

Let's go RED!

Not that I need to be reminded of what everyone here found out today...this just adds insult to injury...although it's great for her..]
    It would have been nice of you to mention it....

Let's go RED!

Does that not fly in the face of what the Olympics are all about? What a travesty. The Olympics sure have taken a credibility hit with me.

Does that not fly in the face of what the Olympics are all about? What a travesty. The Olympics sure have taken a credibility hit with me.
    "It has signed up seven players who didn't succeed in the NHL: six Canadians and one American. The Korean national team's goalie will be Matt Dalton from Clinton, Ont. All the foreigners are being issued Korean citizenship and passports."

Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    "It has signed up seven players who didn't succeed in the NHL: six Canadians and one American. The Korean national team's goalie will be Matt Dalton from Clinton, Ont. All the foreigners are being issued Korean citizenship and passports."

I feel very confident that a roster like that could ensure close games againt world powerhouses like Japan, China and Brazil. After that not so much.

I see Stadler had 3 goals and 2 assists in Switz 6-1 win over Denmark in todays opening game.
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014 & 2017 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years)

It would have been nice of you to mention it....
    Maybe my wording wasn't as clear as it could have been. If you are referring to the fact that Stalder and Mrazova won't be on the 'Dogs roster this weekend, I knew nothing about it until I read it here from UW fans.

Thread Information