Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 2016 UMD Season Thread

Re: 2016 UMD Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
    Buckeyes play 3 to 4 D and 2 lines most of the time. They cannot keep up for three periods unless the opponent has a short bench much like Minnesota did last weekend. This team should look forward to next year.
    It did not work in Minny last weekend and appears it did not work this weekend. Good coaches coach and not shorten the bench for periods at a time. This will lead to more injuries than goals. Buckeyes are not a well coached team. Very individualistic with no support. Easy system for other coaches to break down. If not for Sauve this team may not have won a game.

Quote Originally Posted by dd17 View Post
    It did not work in Minny last weekend and appears it did not work this weekend. Good coaches coach and not shorten the bench for periods at a time. This will lead to more injuries than goals. Buckeyes are not a well coached team. Very individualistic with no support. Easy system for other coaches to break down. If not for Sauve this team may not have won a game.
    The players that aren't playing regularly are getting the message about their futures with the new coach. Sounds like she'll be replacing them as soon as she gets her own recruits in the door. Not sure it means she's a bad coach. If you don't have the horses to win the race you probably need new horses, or just don't enter the race to begin with. It's her stable of horses to run as she sees fit. You obviously don't like it but that doesn't mean she's wrong or a bad coach. She's trying hard to win some games to attract better recruits to the program as soon as she can. I'd say she knows exactly what she's doing and doesn't care if you approve or not. Kudos to her. I think that program needs someone like her to get it back on track. The last two coaches were awful for the reputation of the program.

Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    The players that aren't playing regularly are getting the message about their futures with the new coach. Sounds like she'll be replacing them as soon as she gets her own recruits in the door. Not sure it means she's a bad coach. If you don't have the horses to win the race you probably need new horses, or just don't enter the race to begin with. It's her stable of horses to run as she sees fit. You obviously don't like it but that doesn't mean she's wrong or a bad coach. She's trying hard to win some games to attract better recruits to the program as soon as she can. I'd say she knows exactly what she's doing and doesn't care if you approve or not. Kudos to her. I think that program needs someone like her to get it back on track. The last two coaches were awful for the reputation of the program.
    Jenny Potter did a lot of damage to this program in one year ! It appears the new coach is doing the best she can with what she has to build, outstanding goaltending, better than average defence and very, very limited offence. It takes time to develop and build.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFan View Post
    Jenny Potter did a lot of damage to this program in one year ! It appears the new coach is doing the best she can with what she has to build, outstanding goaltending, better than average defence and very, very limited offence. It takes time to develop and build.
    Dani Sadek and Lauren Boyle are 2 of the top 10 D in the conference and will be there again next year along with the Dunne sisters. Very strong top 4. The Buckeyes will be tough to play against next year moreso if they can bolster their offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
    Dani Sadek and Lauren Boyle are 2 of the top 10 D in the conference and will be there again next year along with the Dunne sisters. Very strong top 4. The Buckeyes will be tough to play against next year moreso if they can bolster their offense.
    Absolutely they have a very strong D core. But here is a question. Which one actually plays D? Watching, the forwards never get the puck. The D carry it down the ice almost every time and the forwards have to stop and wait for them. There is no regroup or D to D cycle but silly dump-ins or shots to the goalies mid-section. Who plays dump and chase in womens hockey?. Once in the offensive zone, a F is always sitting back covering while a D is down low attacking. Its a big reason why the D have so many more shots on net that the F. No question a few stronger forwards are needed but I believe the biggest need is a stay at home D that can move the puck to the forwards. Otherwise this team will be fighting in 1 goal games as they have all year. Dont get me wrong, offensive D are valuable and jumping into the play is a necessity, but if a D had natural goal scoring ability they would have been moved up to F a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by crutch View Post
    Dont get me wrong, offensive D are valuable and jumping into the play is a necessity, but if a D had natural goal scoring ability they would have been moved up to F a long time ago.
    There is so much of this statement that is out of synch with how women D are taught to play when young and the type of D that are recruited at the D1 level that I wouldn't even know where to begin..... I'll just say (again) that D1 coaches recruit offensive defensemen primarily (and hope to teach defense) and you get what you recruit.

I was told there was a discussion going on here about the Buckeyes. As for Coach Muzerall and her staff, there will always be attrition when a new coach comes in. I think she is going about things the right way and I am trusting the process. As others have already alluded to, I think this team is solid defensively with Kass in net and the D's we have. Where we really need help is offense. I was talking to one of the parents a few weeks back at Penn State and he said that every time our opponents have scored more than one goal, we have lost those games. Looking at our scores this season ... yep, spot on. That is a lot of pressure to put on the defensemen and goaltender. In order to get a W, they have to hold everyone to one goal or shut them out. Clearly, that is a sign that we need offense/goal scorers. From what I understand and hear from those who know, we do have some scoring coming in next season. Then again, regardless of how good the player is, there is always an adjustment period with the college game, so we will see, but I think the program is in good hands now with Coach Muzerall and Coach Koizumi. I am looking forward to the team being back home for a couple weekends ... St. Cloud this weekend and Minnesota State the weekend of 2/10 - 2/11. After that, it's the regular season finale at North Dakota. We need to take advantage of the opportunities we have to get points in these next couple weekends at home and break the logjam (OSU, Bemidji, St. Cloud, all with 19 points).

Quote Originally Posted by crutch View Post
    Absolutely they have a very strong D core. But here is a question. Which one actually plays D? Watching, the forwards never get the puck. The D carry it down the ice almost every time and the forwards have to stop and wait for them. There is no regroup or D to D cycle but silly dump-ins or shots to the goalies mid-section. . . .
    There are different styles & some coaches never want their D to carry the puck but most of them are now retired or unemployed. The D often has more room to move at the start of the rush, particularly if the Fs pull the other team up ice. If they have the speed built up & the skill to carry they are disrupting the other teams set. A forward has to rotate back to cover the point but that is pretty standard today (when I was a kid skaters were expected to pretty much stay in their little section of ice, in addition to being boring to play it leads to low scoring defensive battles if both side do it and blows out by creative teams). Now if they are not going D to D or strictly dump and chase that is a separate isue
    if a D had natural goal scoring ability they would have been moved up to F a long time ago.
    Nope. Its great to have D that carry the puck & can get a few goals so that the other side cannot afford to ignore them in their zone as they can generate a head of steam entering the zone causing disruption.

Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    There are different styles & some coaches never want their D to carry the puck but most of them are now retired or unemployed. The D often has more room to move at the start of the rush, particularly if the Fs pull the other team up ice. If they have the speed built up & the skill to carry they are disrupting the other teams set. A forward has to rotate back to cover the point but that is pretty standard today (when I was a kid skaters were expected to pretty much stay in their little section of ice, in addition to being boring to play it leads to low scoring defensive battles if both side do it and blows out by creative teams). Now if they are not going D to D or strictly dump and chase that is a separate isue

Nope. Its great to have D that carry the puck & can get a few goals so that the other side cannot afford to ignore them in their zone as they can generate a head of steam entering the zone causing disruption.
    Discussing OSU looked like fun while they got the broom in Duluth over the weekend. Maybe they'll be good someday.

But since this is the UMD thread, how about those Bulldogs? I'm guessing most people didn't see them being in position to host a NCAA playoff game this deep into the season.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieconway View Post
    Discussing OSU looked like fun while they got the broom in Duluth over the weekend. Maybe they'll be good someday.

But since this is the UMD thread, how about those Bulldogs? I'm guessing most people didn't see them being in position to host a NCAA playoff game this deep into the season.
    I didn't. Especially after what I considered a weak showing by the team and particularly Stalder when I was counting on them to play hard against Wisconsin in the WCHA semi final game last year.

But they have shown a lot this season. I think with their solid 'd' and top of the line scorers the Bulldogs, while being underDogs against Wisconsin, are capable of anything in the postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by KTDC View Post
    I didn't. Especially after what I considered a weak showing by the team and particularly Stalder when I was counting on them to play hard against Wisconsin in the WCHA semi final game last year.

But they have shown a lot this season. I think with their solid 'd' and top of the line scorers the Bulldogs, while being underDogs against Wisconsin, are capable of anything in the postseason.
    I expected both UMD and OSU to get better with the dogs a season ahead. I just didn't expect it to be THIS season. There are not many forwards as much fun to watch with the puck as Stadler & Brykaliuk (unless they are playing my team in which case it would be more fun if the just ignored the puck as much as possible. I said it at the start of the season, the WCHA could become a 4-way instead of a 2-way race, it already looks to be a 3-way. I am looking forward to the great games while hoping there will not be too many loses

Stalder chalks up another accolade as the WCHA's Offensive Player of the Month for January/17 adding to the same distinction she achieved for December/15...

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news/2017...x?path=whockey

UND 0 - UMD 1 after one at the 'Dog Pound.

Stalder all alone beat Shaw and went backhand 2 hole at 3:14.

Because the Live Stats isn't working again and the person in charge of posting the penalty count down on the on screen clock seems to think that that's an option that is usually best ignored I'm not sure but it looked like Stalder just got on the ice at the end of a UND PP and took a long lead pass for the skate in alone.

UMD should get sharp on the clock situation...it's been going on for several games now.

No change after two at the Pound. SOG UND 14 - UMD 24.

Two nice dipsy doodle stickhandling moves through traffic, one by McGovern and one by Brykaliuk each came close to a shot on goal close in past defenders but they were not to be.

Live Stats is working now and Stalder's goal occurred 11 seconds after UND's pp expired.

UND 0 - UMD 2 Final. SOG - UND 24 - UMD 35.

Morin at 6:25 on a wrist shot from right circle on power play.

At 4:19 Menke almost bagged one right in front for the black and green team after a nice move to deke a 'Dog defender.

UND penalties at 3:39 and 00.38 killed UND's last bid for a come back.

The 'Dogs were only 1 for 6 on the power play today...kinda skinny.

Official attendance at The Pound...855...healthy for a Friday mid afternoon game although I doubt there were that many bodies in the seats.

The cameraman shouldn't pan in so closely...limits the viewer's awareness of the rest of the ice and can be difficult to watch.

Back at it 3:00 P.M tomorrow.
    Last edited by Blackbeard; 02-03-2017 at 05:25 PM.

UND 0 - UMD1 after one. SOG UND 8 - UMD 6 but it sure seemed like UMD got few more.

Brodt at 16:14 on a nice feed out in front from the corner from Schugel and Lindh.

Cram the Am has gotten quite a few bodies into the building for today's game. No stat yet.

Very quick end to end game. Both teams seem to be topped up on fuel.

No change after two at the Pound. SOG UND 17 - UMD 14.

The Hounds were doing a little too much standing around in their end at one point watching as UND maintained puck control on a 5 on 5 instead of taking away time and space from them (looked like the Hounds thought they were shorthanded) which resulted in an opportunity for the green team and a penalty to the Hounds. Lack of discipline. Later on with the man advantage UMD got sloppy which resulted in Menke cruising in alone and almost scoring. Rooney has made a huge difference to this team which was weak between the pipes prior to her arrival.

Official "Cram the Am" Attendance =2315.

UND 1 - UMD 2 Final. SOG UND 29 - UMD 22.

Kryzaniak for UND at 17:24 with a nice blast through traffic from the blue line went 2 hole on Rooney.

The 'Dogs responded a little over a minute later at 16:14 on an unusual one with Stalder from almost the goal line to Brykaliuk in front in traffic and the puck then bounced back to Stalder who fired it (looked like) cross net through traffic and past Shaw to put UMD up 2-1. She had to thread the needle with almost nowhere to put it yet she one timed it and in. This girl sure has the scoring touch...she's dangerous around the goal.

Crossman had an excellent game today...tons of energy...some of the Hounds should go to school on that.

Kolstad took a penalty at around 1:30 and looked, after she plowed a 'Dog into the boards, that she had a bit of an attitude problem chirping and swiping at another 'Dog right afterwards as she turned to head to the box. That didn't prevent UND from pulling Shaw for the extra attacker (to get them back to 5 on 5) and a little less than aggressive Hound squad had trouble getting the puck out of their end with an empty net at the other end. (And UND came close to tying the game). That needs a bit of work since it happened 2 or 3 times today.

Extremely competitive game and from what I've seen and heard it appears that this weekend one of the better versions of the chameleon like UND team showed up at the 'Dog Pound.

UMD's game recap...

(and I forgot to mention that the play that resulted in Brodt's goal today was a beauty...she was cruising into the slot when the pass came from the corner to her right and she went down on her right knee (being a right handed shot) to be able to accept the less than perfect pass, the puck hit her left skate and bounced back to her right where she picked it up on the blade of her stick, still down on her right knee, and fired it home beating Shaw...happened very quickly...gorgeous goal, corner work and feed)...just watched it again, it was even nicer than I thought...Schugel after receiving a short pass up along the boards from Lindh in the UND end (both of whom are flying down the right wing) who takes care of two Hawks, loses it in her skates as she is turning 180 degrees down by the goal line, she visually picks it up and fires it into the slot for the oncoming Brodt...looked like Brodt intentionally blocked the puck with her left skate otherwise having no play on it...Highlight of the weekend!

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news/2017...x?path=whockey

And post game interview...Crowell, Rooney, Morin and Brykaliuk...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq4nUlxrEcY
    Last edited by Blackbeard; 02-04-2017 at 10:31 PM.

Thread Information