Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2016 UMD Season Thread

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    Without mentioning names I can only assume you guys are referring to the "bull(dog) in the china shop"?
    thank you everyone for not mentioning her name, I just ate and wouldn't want to lose my lunch

the Bulldogs are one loss and one tie below the leaders, IOW, they control their own destiny
    when the league first started there were some terrific grudge matches between the Gophers & Bulldogs, it is nice to see the games once again have meaning beyond handing the wicked witch a defeat

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
      Maybe they read this forum, it is changed now to something about #3 Bulldogs taking down #1.
      Yeah, maybe...that's better.

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
      Maybe they read this forum, it is changed now to something about #3 Bulldogs taking down #1.

I know you won't believe this but some of us are actually excited to have the Bulldogs back in the mix.
      Guess what? Me too.

That two year hiatus wallowing in the abyss seemed rather strange while the last two years were spent crawling out of it so I'm glad to have the chance to see the three old foes battle it out again. The 'Dogs just have to be consistent in their play and the old Troika of foes should provide plenty of entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
        when the league first started there were some terrific grudge matches between the Gophers & Bulldogs, it is nice to see the games once again have meaning beyond handing the wicked witch a defeat
        Funny you mentioned this...about meaning. I've been thinking about the first 2 or 3 years that I started following the league and it seemed that generally UMD had UW's number, and UW had UM's number, and UM had UMD's number. It was very interesting but on the surface it made no sense.

By the way, The Brookster is aware that there is a screening process...isn't he?

Which coincidentally brings up a topic that I was going to post about but may as well mention here.

Two long time posters have been missing in action for quite a while...Hux and the Brookster.

Hope everything is ok with them.
        Last edited by Blackbeard; 11-19-2016, 06:41 PM.

Comment

UW 1 - UMD 1 after one. SOG UW 5 - UMD 11.

Very fast game.

UW opened the scoring at 10:04 with Ryan from Gardner and Clark. That opportunity was handed to them by Schugel who had two opportunities to neutralize the play by possibly intercepting a pass and then keeping the UW forward to the outside up against the boards...neither of which her body language/lack of effort conveyed was very important to her. Maybe the bench would be.

Then a pretty one at 6:22 Mrazova to Brykaliuk to Morin on the doorstep one hole to tied it up on a power play.

Comment

UW 2 - UMD 1 after two. SOG UW 26 - UMD 14.

Pankowski from Clark and Ryan at 13:50 in front unattended to (sort of) on a defensive breakdown by the 'Dogs with four of them chasing the puck toward the boards by the faceoff circle.

UMD failed to capitalize on a 5 on 3 which they had for 46 seconds and then on the remaining 5 on 4.

Brodt missed the open net on what would have been a magnificent goal...a highlight reel had she bagged it.

UMD's passing is better today...it couldn't help but improve from yesterday but it looks like they are slowing down a bit with UW looking the stronger of the two.

The 'Dogs have to start getting pucks to the net...that part of their game was pretty much non existent in the second period.

Comment

UW 4 - UMD 1 final. SOG UW 47 - UMD 20.

UW returns the favour.

UW scored at 14:29 at the tail end of a power play with Pankowski scoring by poking the puck free when Rooney failed to cover and protect the puck in her crease. Goaltending 101. It was very similar to one of UMD's goals last night.

Then Pankowski again for the hat trick at 12:14 2 hole on Rooney after UW was controlling play shorthanded in UMD's end for what seemed like a considerable time looking for a scoring opportunity. Unbelievably poor by the 'Dogs. Embarrassingly bad. UW looked like they had the man advantage.

UMD just couldn't get any real offense going in this game, apart from the initial goal, even on multiple PP's which were anemic with few shots on goal and for the most part gave Cece a pass. As well as UW's point men by not pressing the play which was the exact opposite of what UW was doing.

Congratulations to UW...they certainly deserved to win.
              Last edited by Blackbeard; 11-19-2016, 07:30 PM.

Comment

UMD's post game wrap..(no highlight video)

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news/2016...x?path=whockey

Not to reignite the heated debate but I wonder exactly what she meant by this: "We just have to be sure we are ready for an ECAC team, which is a little different than a WCHA team."

And yeah, maybe they are following the dialogue here.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                  By the way, The Brookster is aware that there is a screening process...isn't he?

Which coincidentally brings up a topic that I was going to post about but may as well mention here.

Two long time posters have been missing in action for quite a while...Hux and the Brookster.

Hope everything is ok with them.
                  Brookey prefers the pronoun "ze"

and you should be very careful with zir right now
                  very fragile, if Trump winning weren't enough
                  when ze got to Thunder Bay (I had suggested Quebec, but like usual, ze ignored me), ze discovered Canadians really don't want people from the US moving to Canada
                  when we got to the border ze jumped out of the car and teary eyed, kissed the ground and then tried to hug the first Canadian ze saw
                  it may have gone over better if it wasn't one of the Border Patrol
                  they made ze sit inside while they figured out what to do with zir
                  while inside I suggested to Brookey ze read a pamphlet on immigration to Canada
                  not good!
                  What are the three responsibilities of citizenship?
                  Obeying the law, taking responsibility for oneself and one’s family, ....
                  and was aghast to learn to be a citizen you must be able to understand English or French, the official languages
                  zir called the Border Patrol racists, and accused Canadians of cultural genocide ... and that's when I high tailed it back to Minnesota.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                    Brookey prefers the pronoun "ze"

and you should be very careful with zir right now
                    very fragile, if Trump winning weren't enough
                    when ze got to Thunder Bay (I had suggested Quebec, but like usual, ze ignored me), ze discovered Canadians really don't want people from the US moving to Canada
                    when we got to the border ze jumped out of the car and teary eyed, kissed the ground and then tried to hug the first Canadian ze saw
                    it may have gone over better if it wasn't one of the Border Patrol
                    they made ze sit inside while they figured out what to do with zir
                    while inside I suggested to Brookey ze read a pamphlet on immigration to Canada
                    not good!
                    What are the three responsibilities of citizenship?
                    Obeying the law, taking responsibility for oneself and one’s family, ....
                    and was aghast to learn to be a citizen you must be able to understand English or French, the official languages
                    zir called the Border Patrol racists, and accused Canadians of cultural genocide ... and that's when I high tailed it back to Minnesota.
                    All seriousness aside...The Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website actually crashed at about 11:00 PM Nov.8/16 (US election night)...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...tion-1.3845080

Comment

from the above link:
                      Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada confirmed that visitors from the U.S. made up half the traffic on its website when it "started to experience difficulties"

my guess is that the other half were Canadians concerned about immigration rules and needed something to comfort them that a bunch of protesting radicals from the US about to invade the homeland could be deterred from entering due to immigration rules

Comment

UMD 0 - HU 1 after one. SOG UMD 5 - HU 9.

Hughes with a beautiful deflection in front off a shot from the point at about 11:00 on a delayed penalty.

Looks like it gave HU some confidence.
                        Last edited by Blackbeard; 11-25-2016, 06:44 PM.

Comment

UMD 1 - HU 1 after two.

'Dogs with several opportunities early in the period but just couldn't get their sticks on the puck.

Then at 12:56 Brykaliuk with a one timer from the high slot from Stalder.

Hughes just missed the go ahead goal immediately afterwards on a shot that Rooney didn't completely get with the puck crawling toward the goal line of a wide open net before a 'Dog swiped it out of the crease.

Then HU with a number of chances with the 'Dog defence in disarray.

UMD was finally able to turn up the offensive pressure for the duration of the period with the floodgates feeling as though they were waiting to be opened...with the 'Dogs having retrieved some of their riddim'.

Good play by play and colour commentating.

Tremendous save by Rooney leading to a scramble with a loose puck in the crease with a 'Dog covering it with a hand which lead to a penalty shot which Rooney stuffed in the last minute of the period.

Comment

The Dogs appear to have figured things out. Now up 4-1, scoring 11 seconds into the 3rd and then two power play goals.

Comment

UMD 4 - HU 1 Final. SOG UMD 38 - HU 26 approx. (live stats stopped working after the first).

The 'Dogs took the lead a scant 11 seconds into the 3rd on a beautiful effort from Brykaliuk to Stalder (both behind the net) to McGovern on the doorstep who went 5 hole.

Then McGovern again at 14:40 23 seconds into a power play on a tremendous feed from Healy and Stalder.

At 11:47 Lowenheilm bagged one 5 hole on a power play after picking up a rebound in front.

Stalder missed an open net and McGovern was in close and had a great opportunity to shoot but chose to pass...might have been her hat trick.

UMD started the game a little shaky while the commentators claimed that the first period was HU's best of the season so far.

UMD started to get on track in the second and pretty much dominated possession in the third period.

And they had a 5 on 3 late in the game.

I really like (as was mentioned by another poster in the last week or two) how the 'Dogs always tighten the noose on the PP instead of being content with taking shots from the outside.

Interesting game...good looking rink...engaging commentators.

And forgot to mention...good lighting and video quality.

And that Mrazova was out of the lineup again.
                              Last edited by Blackbeard; 11-25-2016, 11:18 PM.

Comment

You guys have a very good team. That first line is something to watch. McGovern is terrific and she has a lot of help.

Harvard stayed with UMD for two periods and we had some of our best chances of the season in the second period. That penalty shot was a microcosm of how our season has gone so far. Daniels loses control and winds up with a weak attempt. Nothing is going our way except our goaltending. We simply don't have the skill or speed to stay with teams like UMD. Or anyone else for that matter.

I'll be at tomorrow afternoon's game and wish you guys the best going forward.

Comment

Working...
                                X