2016 UMD Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2016 UMD Season Thread

Forgot to mention in the last post that Mrazova was not playing, again today.

Here's the write up on today's game:

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news/2016...x?path=whockey

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
      Forgot to mention in the last post that Mrazova was not playing, again today.

Here's the write up on today's game:

Does anyone know what the situation with Mrazova is??

Comment

Interview with Crowell...sounds like recruiting is going swimmingly with positive effects to be seen on the ice in the next couple years...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar2bGVbk3Jc

Comment

UMD 2 - UND 0 after 1. SOG 8 - 5 for UMD.

Stalder all alone on a breakaway made Shaw commit and then very casually slid it around her outstretched leg/skate at around 11:54.

Then Mrazova, 34 seconds later, on a gorgeous tic tac toe play into an open net that you could see quickly forming seconds earlier with open passing lanes that the 'Dogs took full advantage of.

Don't know why Mrazova was out vs OSU but she's back now.

The play by play guy made the comment "the first line for UMD is just deceptive" and then went on to elaborate. I think that is an accurate description.
          Last edited by Blackbeard; 11-12-2016, 02:58 PM.

Comment

UMD 2 - UND 1 Final.

Kryzaniak with a wrist shot through traffic from the high slot at about 9:50 of the third.

Not the overall intensity or the relentless forechecking from the 'Dogs that was on display vs OSU two weeks ago...maybe the week off got the 'Dogs a bit horizontal. On the positive side they managed to stay out of the penalty box until 12 seconds left in the game when UND had pulled Shaw for the extra man and there was a nervous moment in front of the UMD goal as the puck crossed from one side to the other with a UND forward in front and Healey got the gate for hooking.

Good quick game by Rooney...she instills confidence.

UND had a few opportunities prior to the one goal that they did get but were denied.

The 'Dogs seemed to slow down in the 3rd and I don't recall seeing Brodt on the ice.

Comment

Exciting finish to the game today. Menke made a great play at the blue line with a half minute to go to stop an empty net goal and keep UND in it...she's a great player.

A few thoughts after watching most of the game today, although I missed Stalder's breakaway.

-I thought UMD had domination early, then UND played them tough the rest of the way.
              -Stalder is crazy aggressive. Dangerous passes through the center that often succeed, cheating constantly to get sprung, which she often does!
              -The play on the Mrazova goal was fantastic. An example of what UMD has this year.. which is a special scoring touch, and it makes them dangerous.
              -I like how they really try to penetrate and create on the PP instead of pass around the perimeter passively, which you see so often.
              -Löwenhielm leaving Krzyzaniak alone into the center of the UND offensive zone looked like trouble right away, and sure enough she scored
              -Crossman often looks pretty darn good to me when I watch UMD play. Too bad she doesn't have a little bit more of a scoring touch

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                Exciting finish to the game today. Menke made a great play at the blue line with a half minute to go to stop an empty net goal and keep UND in it...she's a great player.

A few thoughts after watching most of the game today, although I missed Stalder's breakaway.

-I thought UMD had domination early, then UND played them tough the rest of the way.
                -Stalder is crazy aggressive. Dangerous passes through the center that often succeed, cheating constantly to get sprung, which she often does!
                -The play on the Mrazova goal was fantastic. An example of what UMD has this year.. which is a special scoring touch, and it makes them dangerous.
                -I like how they really try to penetrate and create on the PP instead of pass around the perimeter passively, which you see so often.
                -Löwenhielm leaving Krzyzaniak alone into the center of the UND offensive zone looked like trouble right away, and sure enough she scored
                -Crossman often looks pretty darn good to me when I watch UMD play. Too bad she doesn't have a little bit more of a scoring touch

I agree with your assessment of the game and especially with respect to Stalder, Mrazova's goal and Crossman.

Stalder's play seems to have exploded exponentially compared to a couple years ago, and she was talented then. When she is on the ice now she forces you to take note of her...she commands your attention. How much of that is the talent that she is playing on that line with...ie: Brykaliuk and Mrazova? It's unquantifiable but a truism in life is that when you "play" with people who are better than you are, regardless of the endeavour, you ratchet up your game in an attempt to achieve their level. Not saying that anyone on that line is better than anyone else just that I think that there is a serious synergy going on between the three of them this year that seems to enthusiastically cause each one of them to be the best she can be. The play of each lifts the play of the other two. Beautiful to watch. And the effect might be trickling down to the rest of the team to some degree.

And that goal was gorgeous.

Just disappointed that they weren't as aggressive today as they were two weeks ago vs OSU, especially in the first game. If they start to consistently and relentlessly forecheck and pass with authority and precision, as they did then, they should be a nightmare for most opponents and should go deep into the season.

Comment

Here's the highlights of today's game:

Stalder looks like a point man/extra man for UND at her own blue line with four UND players in deep before she turns up ice to accept the pass all alone with half the sheet in front of her.

http://www.undsports.com//SportSelec...03&SPSID=58668

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                    Interview with Crowell...sounds like recruiting is going swimmingly with positive effects to be seen on the ice in the next couple years...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar2bGVbk3Jc
                    ". . . especially with the successful BC weekend our phones have been ringing off the hook ever since."

(Recruiting 101 )

Comment

Post game interview with Kryzaniak and Idalski...
                      http://www.undsports.com//SportSelec...03&SPSID=58668

Comment

Don't know what Kilponen was thinking on the first goal; the last player back can't decide to creep in from the point if her team doesn't have clear possession. Then Tanskanen makes a half-hearted poke-check attempt, turns to puck watch, and totally loses her check. As KTDC pointed out, Löwenhielm showed that both teams have Europeans who don't quite understand their coaches' defensive schemes when she leaves the puck carrier to go cover a point who is no threat at that moment.

That's the trouble with just watching highlights; both teams could have played great defense for the rest of the game, but the opposite comes across when watching sequences that lead to goals.
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

UMD 1 - UND 0 after one. SOG UMD 5 - UND 8.

Nice goal at 6:13 by McGovern from Brodt one hole.

Fairly quick period.

Noticed yesterday and today that the lighting, re: camerawork from above, is not what it usually is from The Ralph. It's kind of washed out and yellowish in colour which is surprising. Ice level shots are a lot clearer and brighter.
                          Last edited by Blackbeard; 11-13-2016, 02:43 PM.

Comment

UMD 2 - UND 1 after two. SOG UMD 10 - UND 22.

Morin's focus was rewarded at the 16:13 mark of the second period with a PP goal from a very sharp angle in front when she roofed it into the far side of the net after some action in front with Stalder and Brykaliuk assisting. That was apparently only the 3rd PP goal allowed by UND so far this season and their PK was 96% going into yesterday's game!!!!

Then at 8:15 Menke from no angle at all, on the goal line, hit Rooney, who was somewhat casual about getting back to protect the post, on her upper arm and it bounced into the net. Kryzaniak got the assist. Was noticing earlier that Rooney doesn't seem to be as intensely involved in this game as she was yesterday. Menke's presence is making itself know loud and clear so far in this game.

UND failed to score on a 5 on 3 that they had for 1:58.

Comment

UMD 2 - UND 2 after regulation. SOG UMD 21 - UND 30

Dahlquist from Houston and Hirschey with 28 seconds left after a scrum in front with Rooney not quick enough to get her paddle down on the ice to block a loose puck. This one started along the boards near the blue line with the 'Dogs just not intense enough at attempting to get the puck out of their zone. Not a bad game but a little too much casual play by the 'Dogs in my opinion.
                              Last edited by Blackbeard; 11-13-2016, 04:26 PM.

Comment

UND takes it in a shootout with a goal by Houston that went 5 hole on Rooney.
                                Last edited by Blackbeard; 11-13-2016, 07:47 PM. Reason: Initially stated that the win took place in OT when in fact it was in a shootout.

Comment

Working...
                                X