2016 UMD Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016 UMD Season Thread

It's even better than I thought...I knew something didn't seem right with The 'Dogs today but there was so much action on the ice that there was no time to think about it.

Not only were Stalder and Mrazova missing but so were Healey and Elms. Seemed like Morin was on the puck more than usual...that's why.

And still they take the Diggers deep deep into the shootout! Wow! All the more congratulations to them.

The UMD post game wrap just pointed out the extra two missing players. And that this was the second longest shootout in WCHA history.

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news/2017...x?path=whockey

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
      It's a math problem in that the person responsible for the announcement didn't check their work for accuracy leaving the reader to wonder if someone was missed in the article or if it was really only 9, and if so, further wondering if the bold headline of a "program record" was still accurate.

Thanks for checking it further and discovering that Healey was missed. That option didn't occur to me.
      This is why math always gave me a headache in school. Who's on 1st?

Congratulations to the 10 scholar-athletes!
      "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Today's game is being broadcast on Wisconsin Public TV's Wisconsin Channel. I'm not sure if the signal reaches Duluth or is shown on cable in Superior - it would be Channel 36.2 for the Park Falls station - but it is also streamed free online. http://wpt.org/watch/watch-wisconsin-channel-online

Comment

UMD 0 - UW 2 after one. SOG UMD 4 - UW 19...that pretty much sums up the period.

UMD's seriously depleted roster is glaringly evident today.

They seem happy in their end to watch UW control the puck without much effort to challenge them.

UMD's power play was absolutely horrible with UW controlling the puck in the UMD end for about 30 seconds with the 'Dogs acting like they were shorthanded.

During UW's power play the 'Dogs couldn't even clear the puck properly on countless attempts.

Nice PP goal by Bourke up over Rooney's shoulder tight 3 hole like it had eyes because there was almost no opening there. This goal was facilitated by Lundh's lazy play against the boards which allowed Bourke to take the shot.

Wellhausen in front at approx.1:39.

Some tremendous saves by Rooney. Other than that it was a disastrous period for UMD.

Brykaliuk, McGovern and Brodt need to step it up.

Comment

It's even better than I thought...I knew something didn't seem right with The 'Dogs today but there was so much action on the ice that there was no time to think about it.

Not only were Stalder and Mrazova missing but so were Healey and Elms. Seemed like Morin was on the puck more than usual...that's why.

And still they take the Diggers deep deep into the shootout! Wow! All the more congratulations to them.

The UMD post game wrap just pointed out the extra two missing players. And that this was the second longest shootout in WCHA history.

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news/2017...x?path=whockey
            Too bad the Bulldogs had to play UW with so many players missing. I see Healey and Elmes are 7 and 8 on the roster in +/-. Are they your 3rd and 4th 'd'?

Congrats to UMD on stealing a point. Very well done.

Comment

All right then!

UMD 0 - UW 8.

This was not the game to have televised, as it turns out.

As I mentioned after the first period, "UMD's seriously depleted roster is glaringly evident today". Depletion in terms of both numbers and depth. And it became painfully obvious after that. (Don't know what the story is with Healy and Elmes).

The physical was accompanied by the emotional and mental in short order as the scoreboard kept changing. Very unfortunate that a series of this importance ended up being played under these circumstances. Be that as it may, congratulations to UW on a dominant performance today.

But...wait. Could it be? It's coming back to me now. The UMD PP (Possum Play) that they secretly developed and began implementing last season under everyone's radar...and then boldly shed the protective cloaking device/cone of silence at the most opportune moment in their first series this season against BC sending shockwaves through D1 (or at least through T-Cubed). Could it be that they reverted back to the "PP" today...setting up UW for a possible Final Face Off match up against a very different 'Dog team when the cloaking device will be shed once more? If so, this could be a brilliant coaching move. No one would suspect that you would go back to the well. But, if so, today was just a mirage that, if successful, will end up looking like a mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma...just like when they threw that game in Mankato just before Christmas. And here I was empathizing with them. Pretty smooth.

Comment

Did UMD only have 3 D playing this weekend?
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

All right then!But...wait. Could it be? It's coming back to me now. The UMD PP (Possum Play) that they secretly developed and began implementing last season under everyone's radar...and then boldly shed the protective cloaking device/cone of silence at the most opportune moment in their first series this season against BC sending shockwaves through D1 (or at least through T-Cubed). Could it be that they reverted back to the "PP" today...setting up UW for a possible Final Face Off match up against a very different 'Dog team when the cloaking device will be shed once more? If so, this could be a brilliant coaching move. No one would suspect that you would go back to the well. But, if so, today was just a mirage that, if successful, will end up looking like a mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma...just like when they threw that game in Mankato just before Christmas. And here I was empathizing with them. Pretty smooth.
                  Blackbeard, please tell the 'Dog team to keep that cloaking device up and running for one more weekend.
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    Did UMD only have 3 D playing this weekend?
                    Well, no. But here's more detail for a clearer picture. The roster lists 8D one of whom (Niska) I don't recall ever having seen play.

That leaves the following:

Morin +32 played
                    Hedin +18 played
                    Healey +13 did not play
                    Elmes +11 did not play

Daoust +8 played}
                    Brossart +2 played} these three got a lot more ice time this weekend than they usually do especially the last two.
                    Astrup -1 played}

Plus Forwards:

Stalder +39 did not play
                    Mrazova +14 did not play

and as a result:

Morse -1 }
                    Yanko -3 } both saw a lot more ice time than usual, at least from what I've ever noticed.

So, 2 high +/- number D replaced with low or substantially lower +/- numbers.

And 2 high +/- number F replaced with low +/- number F logging way more ice time than usual.

So, ability and experience suffered.

There you have it.
                    Last edited by Blackbeard; 02-12-2017, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                      Blackbeard, please tell the 'Dog team to keep that cloaking device up and running for one more weekend.
                      I hear you...but I just try to analyse and uncover strategy.

I have no say in when the trigger gets pulled on the cloaking device. It's an arm's length relationship...a very long arm.

Comment

The "cloaking device" in some form over the 2nd and 3rd lines seems to have been in use for the Gophers for a good part of the season. Sure would explain some things...
                        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                          The "cloaking device" in some form over the 2nd and 3rd lines seems to have been in use for the Gophers for a good part of the season. Sure would explain some things...
                          What? UM is using it too? But in stages? Cleverly adapting stolen intelligence thereby masking the theft. Admirable, in a negative kind of way.

You understand that you're talking about industrial espionage here...another law suit is the last thing UMD needs.

Comment

UMD's post game wrap....

http://umdbulldogs.com/news/2017/2/1...x?path=whockey

Comment

So has UMD's calling card for scoring all year been been shooting a forward up the middle of the ice for the home run pass? I saw more of that out of them this last weekend than all rest of the UW's opponents combined for the season. They did score their only goal on a play like that.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                                So has UMD's calling card for scoring all year been been shooting a forward up the middle of the ice for the home run pass? I saw more of that out of them this last weekend than all rest of the UW's opponents combined for the season. They did score their only goal on a play like that.
                                Yeah, they head man the puck often. And it's usually Stalder cruising up around the UMD blue line waiting for that opportunity/pass from the 'Dog zone.

Comment

Working...
                                X