Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016 UMD Season Thread

Originally posted by crutch View Post
    Absolutely they have a very strong D core. But here is a question. Which one actually plays D? Watching, the forwards never get the puck. The D carry it down the ice almost every time and the forwards have to stop and wait for them. There is no regroup or D to D cycle but silly dump-ins or shots to the goalies mid-section. . . .
    There are different styles & some coaches never want their D to carry the puck but most of them are now retired or unemployed. The D often has more room to move at the start of the rush, particularly if the Fs pull the other team up ice. If they have the speed built up & the skill to carry they are disrupting the other teams set. A forward has to rotate back to cover the point but that is pretty standard today (when I was a kid skaters were expected to pretty much stay in their little section of ice, in addition to being boring to play it leads to low scoring defensive battles if both side do it and blows out by creative teams). Now if they are not going D to D or strictly dump and chase that is a separate isue
    if a D had natural goal scoring ability they would have been moved up to F a long time ago.
    Nope. Its great to have D that carry the puck & can get a few goals so that the other side cannot afford to ignore them in their zone as they can generate a head of steam entering the zone causing disruption.

Comment

• Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
      There are different styles & some coaches never want their D to carry the puck but most of them are now retired or unemployed. The D often has more room to move at the start of the rush, particularly if the Fs pull the other team up ice. If they have the speed built up & the skill to carry they are disrupting the other teams set. A forward has to rotate back to cover the point but that is pretty standard today (when I was a kid skaters were expected to pretty much stay in their little section of ice, in addition to being boring to play it leads to low scoring defensive battles if both side do it and blows out by creative teams). Now if they are not going D to D or strictly dump and chase that is a separate isue

Nope. Its great to have D that carry the puck & can get a few goals so that the other side cannot afford to ignore them in their zone as they can generate a head of steam entering the zone causing disruption.
      Discussing OSU looked like fun while they got the broom in Duluth over the weekend. Maybe they'll be good someday.

But since this is the UMD thread, how about those Bulldogs? I'm guessing most people didn't see them being in position to host a NCAA playoff game this deep into the season.
      Ducks Fly Together

Comment

Originally posted by charlieconway View Post
        Discussing OSU looked like fun while they got the broom in Duluth over the weekend. Maybe they'll be good someday.

But since this is the UMD thread, how about those Bulldogs? I'm guessing most people didn't see them being in position to host a NCAA playoff game this deep into the season.
        I didn't. Especially after what I considered a weak showing by the team and particularly Stalder when I was counting on them to play hard against Wisconsin in the WCHA semi final game last year.

But they have shown a lot this season. I think with their solid 'd' and top of the line scorers the Bulldogs, while being underDogs against Wisconsin, are capable of anything in the postseason.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
          I didn't. Especially after what I considered a weak showing by the team and particularly Stalder when I was counting on them to play hard against Wisconsin in the WCHA semi final game last year.

But they have shown a lot this season. I think with their solid 'd' and top of the line scorers the Bulldogs, while being underDogs against Wisconsin, are capable of anything in the postseason.
          I expected both UMD and OSU to get better with the dogs a season ahead. I just didn't expect it to be THIS season. There are not many forwards as much fun to watch with the puck as Stadler & Brykaliuk (unless they are playing my team in which case it would be more fun if the just ignored the puck as much as possible. I said it at the start of the season, the WCHA could become a 4-way instead of a 2-way race, it already looks to be a 3-way. I am looking forward to the great games while hoping there will not be too many loses

Comment

Stalder chalks up another accolade as the WCHA's Offensive Player of the Month for January/17 adding to the same distinction she achieved for December/15...

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news/2017...x?path=whockey

Comment

UND 0 - UMD 1 after one at the 'Dog Pound.

Stalder all alone beat Shaw and went backhand 2 hole at 3:14.

Because the Live Stats isn't working again and the person in charge of posting the penalty count down on the on screen clock seems to think that that's an option that is usually best ignored I'm not sure but it looked like Stalder just got on the ice at the end of a UND PP and took a long lead pass for the skate in alone.

UMD should get sharp on the clock situation...it's been going on for several games now.

Comment

No change after two at the Pound. SOG UND 14 - UMD 24.

Two nice dipsy doodle stickhandling moves through traffic, one by McGovern and one by Brykaliuk each came close to a shot on goal close in past defenders but they were not to be.

Live Stats is working now and Stalder's goal occurred 11 seconds after UND's pp expired.

Comment

UND 0 - UMD 2 Final. SOG - UND 24 - UMD 35.

Morin at 6:25 on a wrist shot from right circle on power play.

At 4:19 Menke almost bagged one right in front for the black and green team after a nice move to deke a 'Dog defender.

UND penalties at 3:39 and 00.38 killed UND's last bid for a come back.

The 'Dogs were only 1 for 6 on the power play today...kinda skinny.

Official attendance at The Pound...855...healthy for a Friday mid afternoon game although I doubt there were that many bodies in the seats.

The cameraman shouldn't pan in so closely...limits the viewer's awareness of the rest of the ice and can be difficult to watch.

Back at it 3:00 P.M tomorrow.
                  Last edited by Blackbeard; 02-03-2017, 05:25 PM.

Comment

UND 0 - UMD1 after one. SOG UND 8 - UMD 6 but it sure seemed like UMD got few more.

Brodt at 16:14 on a nice feed out in front from the corner from Schugel and Lindh.

Cram the Am has gotten quite a few bodies into the building for today's game. No stat yet.

Very quick end to end game. Both teams seem to be topped up on fuel.

Comment

No change after two at the Pound. SOG UND 17 - UMD 14.

The Hounds were doing a little too much standing around in their end at one point watching as UND maintained puck control on a 5 on 5 instead of taking away time and space from them (looked like the Hounds thought they were shorthanded) which resulted in an opportunity for the green team and a penalty to the Hounds. Lack of discipline. Later on with the man advantage UMD got sloppy which resulted in Menke cruising in alone and almost scoring. Rooney has made a huge difference to this team which was weak between the pipes prior to her arrival.

Official "Cram the Am" Attendance =2315.

Comment

UND 1 - UMD 2 Final. SOG UND 29 - UMD 22.

Kryzaniak for UND at 17:24 with a nice blast through traffic from the blue line went 2 hole on Rooney.

The 'Dogs responded a little over a minute later at 16:14 on an unusual one with Stalder from almost the goal line to Brykaliuk in front in traffic and the puck then bounced back to Stalder who fired it (looked like) cross net through traffic and past Shaw to put UMD up 2-1. She had to thread the needle with almost nowhere to put it yet she one timed it and in. This girl sure has the scoring touch...she's dangerous around the goal.

Crossman had an excellent game today...tons of energy...some of the Hounds should go to school on that.

Kolstad took a penalty at around 1:30 and looked, after she plowed a 'Dog into the boards, that she had a bit of an attitude problem chirping and swiping at another 'Dog right afterwards as she turned to head to the box. That didn't prevent UND from pulling Shaw for the extra attacker (to get them back to 5 on 5) and a little less than aggressive Hound squad had trouble getting the puck out of their end with an empty net at the other end. (And UND came close to tying the game). That needs a bit of work since it happened 2 or 3 times today.

Extremely competitive game and from what I've seen and heard it appears that this weekend one of the better versions of the chameleon like UND team showed up at the 'Dog Pound.

Comment

UMD's game recap...

(and I forgot to mention that the play that resulted in Brodt's goal today was a beauty...she was cruising into the slot when the pass came from the corner to her right and she went down on her right knee (being a right handed shot) to be able to accept the less than perfect pass, the puck hit her left skate and bounced back to her right where she picked it up on the blade of her stick, still down on her right knee, and fired it home beating Shaw...happened very quickly...gorgeous goal, corner work and feed)...just watched it again, it was even nicer than I thought...Schugel after receiving a short pass up along the boards from Lindh in the UND end (both of whom are flying down the right wing) who takes care of two Hawks, loses it in her skates as she is turning 180 degrees down by the goal line, she visually picks it up and fires it into the slot for the oncoming Brodt...looked like Brodt intentionally blocked the puck with her left skate otherwise having no play on it...Highlight of the weekend!

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news/2017...x?path=whockey

And post game interview...Crowell, Rooney, Morin and Brykaliuk...
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq4nUlxrEcY
                          Last edited by Blackbeard; 02-04-2017, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                            Kolstad took a penalty at around 1:30 and looked, after she plowed a 'Dog into the boards, that she had a bit of an attitude problem chirping and swiping at another 'Dog right afterwards as she turned to head to the box..
                            Shocker...She elbowed Melissa Channel on the Friday Sue tilt and she has missed the last 5 games due that. What a XXXXX.

As a UW fan, give me a synopsis of the Dawgs offensive and defensive play. This is going to be a fantastic series.
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              Shocker...She elbowed Melissa Channel on the Friday Sue tilt and she has missed the last 5 games due that. What a XXXXX.

As a UW fan, give me a synopsis of the Dawgs offensive and defensive play. This is going to be a fantastic series.
                              The ‘Dogs usually play a quick game and they can be blazing fast. Offensively, when their passing is on and they are all on the same page and playing at top speed, watching them is like having a religious experience…one mind, several bodies. Reminds me of the ‘Dogs of 7-8 years ago. Their passing can be so fast and accurate while gaining positional advantage that opponents struggle with the little time that they have to react never mind defend.

Defenders (often Healey) will attack into the corner with a forward dropping back to cover that vacated spot on the point. Seems to me that this constant positional rotation often confuses opponents and a one or two second advantage is often all that is needed to gain puck control and execute a pass out of a congested corner. I mentioned earlier in the season that if they can play to their capabilities fairly consistently that they would give any team nightmares.

Therein lies one of the problems, the consistency has been somewhat less than I would have hoped to see regardless of how well they have done this a season.

Their power play is lacking for some reason. Earlier this season they would cycle the puck and tighten the noose as they did so, with a decent amount of success ie: puck in net. Not so much lately. Checked before this weekend and their pp conversion was only around 16%.

Most of their scoring comes from their first line and even though others have the ability to add to the points total I would like to have seen another 10-15 goals this season from the supporting cast.

Breakouts are usually quick and often seem effortless but the key word here is “usually”. This weekend they were having major trouble a number of times getting the puck out of their end while at even strength thereby causing unnecessarily high blood pressure readings due to the close score…especially when the clock was winding down. They were standing and watching in their end as though they were in the 4 man defensive box (thank you Russians) short handed when they weren’t.

PK is decent but could stand some improvement…like the PP.

Goaltending is excellent and defence is solid.

And when they have their forechecking in full gear their speed can confound and overwhelm opponents.

So, I think they need to bring all their speed to the UW shindig along with their quick passing game and the relentless forechecking that they are capable of displaying. And they need to get ARD moving side to side and to constantly lift the puck toward the top half of the net. If they do, the rest should take care of itself.

And, if not, well then the odds for less than ideal results occurring will rise substantially.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                                The ‘Dogs usually play a quick game and they can be blazing fast. Offensively, when their passing is on and they are all on the same page and playing at top speed, watching them is like having a religious experience…one mind, several bodies. Reminds me of the ‘Dogs of 7-8 years ago. Their passing can be so fast and accurate while gaining positional advantage that opponents struggle with the little time that they have to react never mind defend.

Defenders (often Healey) will attack into the corner with a forward dropping back to cover that vacated spot on the point. Seems to me that this constant positional rotation often confuses opponents and a one or two second advantage is often all that is needed to gain puck control and execute a pass out of a congested corner. I mentioned earlier in the season that if they can play to their capabilities fairly consistently that they would give any team nightmares.

Therein lies one of the problems, the consistency has been somewhat less than I would have hoped to see regardless of how well they have done this a season.

Their power play is lacking for some reason. Earlier this season they would cycle the puck and tighten the noose as they did so, with a decent amount of success ie: puck in net. Not so much lately. Checked before this weekend and their pp conversion was only around 16%.

Most of their scoring comes from their first line and even though others have the ability to add to the points total I would like to have seen another 10-15 goals this season from the supporting cast.

Breakouts are usually quick and often seem effortless but the key word here is “usually”. This weekend they were having major trouble a number of times getting the puck out of their end while at even strength thereby causing unnecessarily high blood pressure readings due to the close score…especially when the clock was winding down. They were standing and watching in their end as though they were in the 4 man defensive box (thank you Russians) short handed when they weren’t.

PK is decent but could stand some improvement…like the PP.

Goaltending is excellent and defence is solid.

And when they have their forechecking in full gear their speed can confound and overwhelm opponents.

So, I think they need to bring all their speed to the UW shindig along with their quick passing game and the relentless forechecking that they are capable of displaying. And they need to get ARD moving side to side and to constantly lift the puck toward the top half of the net. If they do, the rest should take care of itself.

And, if not, well then the odds for less than ideal results occurring will rise substantially.
                                Kinda funny reading this reads like I would write about UW. UW does the D takes the puck in deep and F covers as well. UW's lines 1-3 can score and the line-up tweak of Nurse with Pankowski and Clark could have produced the best line in college hockey. UW's now running an umbrella PP that has really provided excellent scoring, prior to that the pp sucked. Did you watch the UMD/UW matchup earlier this season? I'm sure a lot has evolved since then for both teams. I'm really looking forward to some fast action and not a lot of quasi-interference by UW's opponent.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X