Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 2016 UMD Season Thread

Let's go RED!

Re: 2016 UMD Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
    Maybe my wording wasn't as clear as it could have been. If you are referring to the fact that Stalder and Mrazova won't be on the 'Dogs roster this weekend, I knew nothing about it until I read it here from UW fans.
    10-4.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Maybe my wording wasn't as clear as it could have been. If you are referring to the fact that Stalder and Mrazova won't be on the 'Dogs roster this weekend, I knew nothing about it until I read it here from UW fans.
    Nice timing since you get that pushover in Madison I am sure it won't affect the standings or national rankings.

UGH! This crap really needs to stop. I understand that the national teams don't care - even though they should since it is impacting their players in several ways - but teams like UW, UM and UMD losing key players during stretches of the season does not help the womens game overall.

The list as I know it that is missing games this weekend

Team Swiss: Phoebe Staenz Ylae, Laura Standler Minny Duluth (she had a hat trick and 2 assists in the Swiss 6-1 win over Denmark today)
    Team Czech: Michela Pezjlova Clarkson (1g), Denisa Krizova Northeastern (2g), Katerina Mrazova Minn Duluth (Czech winning 5-0 in period 2 against Norway)
    Team Denmark: Josefine Hansen RPI

Note: Pezjlova was not playing for Clarkson last weekend also due to this Tournament.
    Last edited by vicb; 02-09-2017 at 03:15 PM.
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014 & 2017 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years)

Congratulations to these student athletes. Great achievement and good to be acknowledged publicly.

At the same time if you read the article closely it reminds me that there are only three kinds of people in the world.

Those who are good at math and those who aren't.

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news/2017...x?path=whockey

Pre-series run down including UMD's official acknowledgment of the 'Dogs who will be missing in action this weekend vs the Diggers.

Congratulations to these student athletes. Great achievement and good to be acknowledged publicly.

At the same time if you read the article closely it reminds me that there are only three kinds of people in the world.

Those who are good at math and those who aren't.

I read this to my wife and a minute later after she stopped laughing I asked, "What's so funny?" She explained it to me. Well, Intro To Math was the last required course I took in college for a reason. I'm just glad they had calculators when I was still working.

Quote Originally Posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
    I read this to my wife and a minute later after she stopped laughing I asked, "What's so funny?" She explained it to me. Well, Intro To Math was the last required course I took in college for a reason. I'm just glad they had calculators when I was still working.
    That's funny.

But did you see why I made that comment?

Great and powerful wizard

But did you see why I made that comment?
    I checked the WCHA release and discovered that this really isn't a math or non-math person problem. The WCHA release does indeed list 10 scholar-athletes for UMD. The problem is that the UMD release only lists 9 of the names, omitting the name of Jessica Healey.
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Quote Originally Posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
    I checked the WCHA release and discovered that this really isn't a math or non-math person problem. The WCHA release does indeed list 10 scholar-athletes for UMD. The problem is that the UMD release only lists 9 of the names, omitting the name of Jessica Healey.
    9 or 10. Either way that is so impressive. Nice to see a strong program also have strong academics.

Quote Originally Posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
    It's a math problem in that the person responsible for the announcement didn't check their work for accuracy leaving the reader to wonder if someone was missed in the article or if it was really only 9, and if so, further wondering if the bold headline of a "program record" was still accurate.

Thanks for checking it further and discovering that Healey was missed. That option didn't occur to me.

Stalder ends up with another hat trick, this time against a surprisingly decent Norway team.

UMD 0 - UW 0 after one. SOG UMD 7 - UW 19.

UMD 0 - UW 0 after two. SOG UMD 16 - UW 28.

An absolute humdinger at The Burrow.

The 'Dogs need to be quicker on their sticks...getting stripped of the puck too often.

And better stickhandling needed when advancing/carrying the puck...pushing it up onto your opponent's stick usually isn't helpful. And take away time and space when they have the puck in your end instead of affording them the luxury of both.

Brykaliuk on a breakaway at 10:49 was hauled down resulting in a PP but The 'Dogs couldn't capitalize.

Schugel with a nice behind the back attempted pass as she approached the UW net.

Excellent showing by the 'Dogs so far considering that they are sans Stalder and Mrazova.

Both teams have had a couple nice chances.

Very fast game that's about even with respect to the play and a full house that's nice to see.

UMD 1 - UW 1 after regulation. SOG UMD 21 - UW 39.

Nurse at 10:43 with a wrist shot from the top of the circle that Rooney misjudged.

3 minutes later Brodt almost tied it up all alone in front but made no mistake at 5:22 beating a defender to the puck and then wrapping the puck around ARD.

'Dogs with PP for most of the last 2 minutes but couldn't close.

Going to OT.
    Still tied after OT.

UW with PP but couldn't close. SOG UMD 22 - UW 44.

Shootout 12 shooters each...no one was caving.

Pankowski, Brykaliuk, Bourke, and Morin all successful with the first 4 shots.

Then 18 shooters couldn't net it. One great save by Rooney off Ryan.

Then Steffan for UW bags it WHILE THE GRAPHICS PERSON IS SHOWING US A PERSONAL/PROMOTIONAL VIDEO OF STEFFEN!!!!!!

Astrup was up next but no go. Two 'Dogs lost the puck off their stick nullifying those opportunities.

An absolutely blazing fast barn burner...everyone got way more than their money's worth. As advertised. Hats off to both teams.

Attendance 2273.

Can't help but wonder if only...Stalder and Mrazova.

The team stats are pretty interesting.

http://www.sidearmstats.com/wisconsin/whockey/
    Last edited by Blackbeard; 02-11-2017 at 06:11 PM.

It's even better than I thought...I knew something didn't seem right with The 'Dogs today but there was so much action on the ice that there was no time to think about it.

Not only were Stalder and Mrazova missing but so were Healey and Elms. Seemed like Morin was on the puck more than usual...that's why.

And still they take the Diggers deep deep into the shootout! Wow! All the more congratulations to them.

The UMD post game wrap just pointed out the extra two missing players. And that this was the second longest shootout in WCHA history.

It's a math problem in that the person responsible for the announcement didn't check their work for accuracy leaving the reader to wonder if someone was missed in the article or if it was really only 9, and if so, further wondering if the bold headline of a "program record" was still accurate.

Thanks for checking it further and discovering that Healey was missed. That option didn't occur to me.
    This is why math always gave me a headache in school. Who's on 1st?

Congratulations to the 10 scholar-athletes!

Today's game is being broadcast on Wisconsin Public TV's Wisconsin Channel. I'm not sure if the signal reaches Duluth or is shown on cable in Superior - it would be Channel 36.2 for the Park Falls station - but it is also streamed free online. http://wpt.org/watch/watch-wisconsin-channel-online

UMD 0 - UW 2 after one. SOG UMD 4 - UW 19...that pretty much sums up the period.

UMD's seriously depleted roster is glaringly evident today.

They seem happy in their end to watch UW control the puck without much effort to challenge them.

UMD's power play was absolutely horrible with UW controlling the puck in the UMD end for about 30 seconds with the 'Dogs acting like they were shorthanded.

During UW's power play the 'Dogs couldn't even clear the puck properly on countless attempts.

Nice PP goal by Bourke up over Rooney's shoulder tight 3 hole like it had eyes because there was almost no opening there. This goal was facilitated by Lundh's lazy play against the boards which allowed Bourke to take the shot.

Wellhausen in front at approx.1:39.

Some tremendous saves by Rooney. Other than that it was a disastrous period for UMD.

Brykaliuk, McGovern and Brodt need to step it up.

It's even better than I thought...I knew something didn't seem right with The 'Dogs today but there was so much action on the ice that there was no time to think about it.

Not only were Stalder and Mrazova missing but so were Healey and Elms. Seemed like Morin was on the puck more than usual...that's why.

And still they take the Diggers deep deep into the shootout! Wow! All the more congratulations to them.

The UMD post game wrap just pointed out the extra two missing players. And that this was the second longest shootout in WCHA history.

Too bad the Bulldogs had to play UW with so many players missing. I see Healey and Elmes are 7 and 8 on the roster in +/-. Are they your 3rd and 4th 'd'?

Congrats to UMD on stealing a point. Very well done.

All right then!

UMD 0 - UW 8.

This was not the game to have televised, as it turns out.

As I mentioned after the first period, "UMD's seriously depleted roster is glaringly evident today". Depletion in terms of both numbers and depth. And it became painfully obvious after that. (Don't know what the story is with Healy and Elmes).

The physical was accompanied by the emotional and mental in short order as the scoreboard kept changing. Very unfortunate that a series of this importance ended up being played under these circumstances. Be that as it may, congratulations to UW on a dominant performance today.

But...wait. Could it be? It's coming back to me now. The UMD PP (Possum Play) that they secretly developed and began implementing last season under everyone's radar...and then boldly shed the protective cloaking device/cone of silence at the most opportune moment in their first series this season against BC sending shockwaves through D1 (or at least through T-Cubed). Could it be that they reverted back to the "PP" today...setting up UW for a possible Final Face Off match up against a very different 'Dog team when the cloaking device will be shed once more? If so, this could be a brilliant coaching move. No one would suspect that you would go back to the well. But, if so, today was just a mirage that, if successful, will end up looking like a mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma...just like when they threw that game in Mankato just before Christmas. And here I was empathizing with them. Pretty smooth.

Let's go RED!

Did UMD only have 3 D playing this weekend?
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Thread Information